Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #1

16" tire upgrade required?

Thanks for everyone's advice thus far.

We've locate a 26.5ht we really like.

However reading more about nose high issues has me concerned.

We're towing with a 2014 Ram 2500 SB 4x4

We've got a factory installed turnover ball setup and found a B&W adapter with slide.

Are the 16" wheels going to be required for our setup? Or can we get by with the standard tire/wheel package.

Thankyou.
Tejasmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejasmike View Post

We've got a factory installed turnover ball setup and found a B&W adapter with slide.

Are the 16" wheels going to be required for our setup? Or can we get by with the standard tire/wheel package.

Thankyou.
The extra heigth will help but the best reason for ugrading is to avoid problems with the marginal tires provided at the factory with your unit. The Maxxis 8008 upgrade to 16" wheels and tires will give you a ten ply, E rated tire that is much safer and better than the original setup.

And, as always, a tire pressure monitoring system is also recommended.

Good luck.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejasmike View Post

Thankyou.
The extra heigth will help but the best reason for ugrading is to avoid problems with the marginal tires provided at the factory with your unit. The Maxxis 8008 upgrade to 16" wheels and tires will give you a ten ply, E rated tire that is much safer and better than the original setup.

And, as always, a tire pressure monitoring system is also recommended.

Good luck.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

The upgrade to 16" wheels is more about one of 2 things:
1 - getting Maxxis tires over what people commonly refer to as "China bombs"
2 - 16" wheels give you more choices if you choose to go with LT tires in the future.

When I upgraded my old fiver from 15" wheels with ST tires to 16" wheels with LT tires, the diameter was only 1" larger, which means ½" height. Pretty inconsequential when considering height.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #5

Dont worry about the nose high. Worry about the lousy stock tires. Upgrade your tires for that reason alone.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
The upgrade to 16" wheels is more about one of 2 things:
1 - getting Maxxis tires over what people commonly refer to as "China bombs"
2 - 16" wheels give you more choices if you choose to go with LT tires in the future.

When I upgraded my old fiver from 15" wheels with ST tires to 16" wheels with LT tires, the diameter was only 1" larger, which means ½" height. Pretty inconsequential when considering height.
Yup, I agree. What little height you gain isnt much, but every little bit adds up.

If you plan on long pulls at interstate speeds, I'd recommend 16s for sure.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #7

I agree with all of the above, but the short answer is YES. You will need the extra 1.5" afforded by 16's. Also, you'll want to have the spring shackles in the lower hole on the bracket, giving you two more inches up. The Ram 4x4's are tall. I'm getting ready to take delivery next month and have been mulling all this over for a while....
Krusegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #8

We have done just about all we can do to lower the nose. We have upgraded the rims and tires, our axles were already flipped and the spring shackles are in the lower holes, and our pin box and hitch are maxed out of adjustments. Having said that, we are still about 5 to 6 inches nose high. Our bed rail clearance is between 5 to 7 inches. We're planning to have a sub frame added to boost the rear about 6 inches next month. While we're at it, we'll go ahead and upgrade the suspension hardware with the Dexter heavy duty wet bolt and shackle kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusegroup View Post
I agree with all of the above, but the short answer is YES. You will need the extra 1.5" afforded by 16's. Also, you'll want to have the spring shackles in the lower hole on the bracket, giving you two more inches up. The Ram 4x4's are tall. I'm getting ready to take delivery next month and have been mulling all this over for a while....
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #9

I disagree that it's better to go to 16" tires. It just depends. How much does the trailer weigh? Mine is similar to yours and came with 15" C rated tires. I replaced them with the next size up 15" D rated Maxxis tires and wider wheels. Even that is more capacity than I'll need. They're rated at about 2500 lb so you're looking at 10,000 lb total capacity. The max weight of the trailer is about 8500 with a pin weight of about 1500 so we're actually looking at about 7000 lb on tires with a 10,000 lb capacity. That's plenty of safety margin. Just get quality tires, make sure the rim capacity matches the tire capacity, and keep them inflated and you'll be fine.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #10

If you are looking at new units, I think you'd be silly not to upgrade; especially with a 4x4 Ram. Replacing the 15's with something you trust would cost nearly the amount of the upgrade. And, FWIW I've never had "too much tire" or "too good of a tire" on an RV!
Old 03-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
We have done just about all we can do to lower the nose. We have upgraded the rims and tires, our axles were already flipped and the spring shackles are in the lower holes, and our pin box and hitch are maxed out of adjustments. Having said that, we are still about 5 to 6 inches nose high. Our bed rail clearance is between 5 to 7 inches. We're planning to have a sub frame added to boost the rear about 6 inches next month. While we're at it, we'll go ahead and upgrade the suspension hardware with the Dexter heavy duty wet bolt and shackle kit.
I wonder how much difference the slightly longer wheelbase and heavier pin weight of the 28.5BHXB might make? I'm hoping to be no more than an inch or two nose high.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #12

I think the weight and wheel base would be very close. It depends on your TV. If you're going to use 1/2 ton truck, then your trailer would be more leveled. But, if you're going with a newer 3/4 ton heavy duty truck, the nose will be higher. You can try lowering the nose, but then you'll run into clearance issue of the bed rails. You still going to need 6 inches minimum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusegroup View Post
I wonder how much difference the slightly longer wheelbase and heavier pin weight of the 28.5BHXB might make? I'm hoping to be no more than an inch or two nose high.
Queen Creek, Arizona
Old 03-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #13

I ordered mine with the 16's. Larger rim with a better tire for that kind of money was a no brainer for me at the time of ordering. I hate to have to buy something after I just bought something new that should have come with it originally.
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #14

I bought my 28.5 BHXB from dealer inventory, it had all of the options we wanted, save for the 16" maxxis tire upgrade. We managed to get a really good price on it, so I'm not too concerned about putting a set of 16" wheels and tires on it, in a couple of years.
Rwhite692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #15

Please make sure you do your research on the tires that you have now. There are several threads here, where folks discuss certain tire brands to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwhite692 View Post
I bought my 28.5 BHXB from dealer inventory, it had all of the options we wanted, save for the 16" maxxis tire upgrade. We managed to get a really good price on it, so I'm not too concerned about putting a set of 16" wheels and tires on it, in a couple of years.
Queen Creek, Arizona
Old 10-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
Please make sure you do your research on the tires that you have now. There are several threads here, where folks discuss certain tire brands to avoid.
Oh, don't worry, I know all about the "China Bomb" experience, had the same thing on my previous fifth wheel when it was new.... These wont be in service for more than a couple of years at the most. I'll be going to 16s and LT tires.
Rwhite692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #17

I just went through all of this with our new 28.5 RSTS HT. It had the 15" tires and rims on it when I bought it. After our maiden voyage of 160 miles, I bought 16" wheels and Maxxis 8008 E rated tires for it. After the dealer lowered the spring hangers and the install of the 16" wheels and tires we are a lot closer to level than before. Still running a little nose high but not bad. It was a no brainer for me. The trailer pulls great with the 16" tires and the peace of mind knowing we have some of the best trailer tires available back there was worth the extra $$.
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote