Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #1

2 AC's and 30 amps

I have a 321RSTS with the 2nd AC option and I know you can't run both when at a 30 amp site. So is it best to run the main AC during the day then switch to the bedroom at night? Both units are hooked into the ducting but the main doesn't blow much air in the bedroom. Also is it OK to run the main AC and run just the fan on the bedroom unit? When I do that it blows more cold air in the bedroom.

One of the vents in the bedroom doesn't blow much no matter what unit or both are running. Anyone else have this problem?
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
Site Team

We just alternate them during the day. At night only the downstairs unit is on to keep it quiet upstairs.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #3

I think you can buy a cheater cord that your 30 will plug into and it will plug into the 30 and the 110 to help out.
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #4

I'm with Norty. Use the main during the day and if the bedroom is too warm when you retire for the day, shut off the main and turn on the Bedroom.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
I think you can buy a cheater cord that your 30 will plug into and it will plug into the 30 and the 110 to help out.
That does nothing to allow you to run the second AC.. it will help if you want to use a space heater or other appliance.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbubba View Post
I have a 321RSTS with the 2nd AC option and I know you can't run both when at a 30 amp site. So is it best to run the main AC during the day then switch to the bedroom at night? Both units are hooked into the ducting but the main doesn't blow much air in the bedroom. Also is it OK to run the main AC and run just the fan on the bedroom unit? When I do that it blows more cold air in the bedroom.

One of the vents in the bedroom doesn't blow much no matter what unit or both are running. Anyone else have this problem?
I assume you typically use a 50 amp hook up. When plugged into a 30 amp outlet you have only 30% of the electric you have available with your 50 amp hook up, 3600 watts compared to 12000 watts.
Not only will not both AC run, but you may run into other issues,,, hot water, appliances etc . I would make sure you put your hot water on propane rather than electric and be wary when using the MW, coffee pot or other heat producing appliances. Good Luck.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
Site Team

It's a scenario that you learn to live with by adapting. Other wise you are looking for and resetting breakers.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 04-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

Maybe I'm confused how they are wired. I would assume a A/Cs draws as much as a space heater or another appliance. I have a buddy that uses hes cheater cord all the time to gain extra amps from the box. If could attach pictures to this site, I would show you one. Anyone know how to attach pictures.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
Site Team

We have all been there. There is no way to make 30a more than 30a. There are loads of rube Goldberg work arounds, but 30a is 30a.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 04-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #10

Adapter

What Chris is talking about is the ability to use the 30A outlet and a 20A outlet on a campsite post. Camco makes an adapter to do this. It will supposedly give you the ability to pull more amps. IMO I don't think I would bother. I would be concerned about how the distribution is done at the power station.
Let's say 1 A/C unit is pulling on the 30A feed and the other is pulling on the 20A feed. Depending on your A/C unit and what else may be on that leg you may still pop the 20A breaker.

Power Maximizerâ„¢ - Camco
Attached Thumbnails
4-28-2016 1-39-33 PM.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #11

Thank you dalebra, now how do you load the pictures? I'm on my iPhone and it will not paste.

My buddy uses this cord and it works for him
Old 04-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
Thank you dalebra, now how do you load the pictures? I'm on my iPhone and it will not paste.

My buddy uses this cord and it works for him
To add pictures you need to "Go Advanced" in creating your reply and then I use the paper clip to attach photos.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post
What Chris is talking about is the ability to use the 30A outlet and a 20A outlet on a campsite post. Camco makes an adapter to do this. It will supposedly give you the ability to pull more amps. IMO I don't think I would bother. I would be concerned about how the distribution is done at the power station.
Let's say 1 A/C unit is pulling on the 30A feed and the other is pulling on the 20A feed. Depending on your A/C unit and what else may be on that leg you may still pop the 20A breaker.

That combination will give you 50% of the power you would have with a standard 50 amp service. So even when using that, you may still have issues running two AC at the same time.

Basically, a 30 amp service provides one 120 volt 30 amp line. A 50 amp service gives you TWO 50 amp 120 volt lines into your rig. Inside your rig, half (approx.) of your 120 volt outlets appliances, etc utilize each single leg of your 50 amp service. So each AC would be on a separate leg coming in.

Using the plug pictured above gives you 30 amp at 120 vs 50 amp at 120 your normal hook up would supply. The other side gives you 20 amps at 120 rather than the 50 amp at 120 your normal plug is supplied with.. That being said, you have to HOPE that the 30 amp plug and 20 amp plug are not wired on the same leg coming into it's box. If they are... well.. you will have issues.. it won't work.

Bottom line at best, you may get 50 % of the power you would normally have available when using your standard 50 amp plug.

As said above, it's about adapting...being aware a hair dryer may trip the breaker... Good luck.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbubba View Post

After thinking about this for a while it dawned on me, you probably will have no power coming to the secondary AC while on 30 amp service. You have a single leg of power coming into your unit when on 30 amp and typically they will have the main AC on that leg...the other leg is dead. May be a moot point as to when to run which..

Old 04-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #15

[QUOTE=wags999;402570]After thinking about this for a while it dawned on me, you probably will have no power coming to the secondary AC while on 30 amp service. You have a single leg of power coming into your unit when on 30 amp and typically they will have the main AC on that leg...the other leg is dead. May be a moot point as to when to run which..[/QUOTE

Not sure how its wired but I have two AC's on a fifty amp service. When on 30 amps you can run either AC unit. I know where you are coming from but both units have power to them on 30 amps.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #16

Actually, the OP never said if their trailer is wired for 50A or 30A service. I assume that with two A/C units it's wired for 50A service.

Either way, Wags999, the entire trailer will have power regardless of weather the OP is connected directly to a 50A service or connected to a 30A service via an adapter. The 30A to 50A adapter will connect the two legs together. Connected to 50A service he will have two legs of 50A each.

The 30A/20A to 50A adapter (shown above) does not tie the two legs together so the OP (assuming the trailer is wired for 50A) would only have 30A on one leg and 20A on the other leg. Normally, one A/C is connected to each leg. Some even had separate thermostats so that when the front A/C reach the set point and shut off the rear A/C would then run until it reached the set point then the cycle would repeat.

If the OP's trailer is only wired for 30A then no adapter would be necessary and the A/C units would need to be toggled from one to the other. In the old days, before 50A service was readily available, some manufacturers installed timing devices between the two A/C's that would automatically toggle the A/C's every half hour or so.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post

Won't work if the 15/20 amp is a GFI which is the case in 99% of all campgrounds.

Right from the description page:

Please Note
•Will NOT work when plugged into GFI type outlets
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #18

Yes my camper has 50 amp service.

It would be cool if I could set them both and they would alternate when on 30 amps but something tells me that is wishful thinking.

And heading to the campground tonight with it 50º out I don't have to worry about it yet.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #19
Site Team

I have one of those and it will not work if it is on a GFCI or the 20a and 30a are on the same phase. I use it when I can in parks that are wired for it, like Georgia sp's. They have 2-30a feeds that are correctly wired in the pedestal.

The 30a to 50a adapter puts the 30a on both 50a incoming legs so everything will work until you exceed 30a.

Running 1 ac is part of the adapting.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 04-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #20

As for the one vent that does not blow much cooling air. I'd recommend two things. 1st pull the cover off the AC on question and check the seal between the AC and ductwork. Next do the same at the defuser in question. It's not uncommon to find the ductwork not connected.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote