Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #1

Question 2001 Jayco Designer

Hello,
I own a 2001 Designer and for some reason the black water holding tank gauge never shows empty. Does anyone know if the sensor is in the tank and if it can be cleaned, or should I have it replaced?
Thank You
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #2

From what I have heard from others, the best way to keep the sensors working is to make sure you don't empty your tank until it's near 2/3 full. When you go to empty, add as much water as you need to fill it up to 2/3 or more. Others have done TP tests to see which tp breaks up best in liquid. The results showed that definitely a one-ply paper, but also suggested that Angel Soft was best (apparently the rv paper isn't that great).

We still have problems with our sensors showing 2/3 full when emptied. So we bought one of those wands that you stick down the toilet. The other end is hooked up to a hose. It worked in our camper years ago, but we haven't try it out yet on our new tt.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #3

I have heard people say dump a bag of ice or two down the toilet and take a drive, this is supposed to clean the inside of the tank.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #4

Oh, and someone recommended putting a tiny bit of dish liquid and drive with a little water. We haven't tried that one yet. One thing that we are finding though is that this is a perpetual problem
Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #5

Thank You very much,
We are going camping next weekend and will be winterizing when we leave. We will have full hook ups this trip so I'll probably experiment a little. Filling the tank and emptying, perhaps some soap or a cleanser overnight as well. The tank has never been full regardless of what the gauge says, I just wish it was more accurate. We love this camper, and are looking forward to years of enjoying it.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #6

Black Water Holding Tank Gauge

From all the reading I have done over the years on RV.net, other sites, and just talking with folks along the way, this is a common problem. The others here have offered good suggestions in my experience. Our Designer has a built in tank wash unit, and it largely works well. I do carry an extra hose and use it, in part, to wash down the black water pipes and tank prior to departure from a campsite as required, and that has generally eliminated the problem with the senor. Also, we carry a FloJet Macerator which I use to thoroughly wash down and drain all of the tanks at home periodically, including during the winterizing process. This exercise always clears the sensor.
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #7

Thank You,
This is a great Forum, I'm glad I joined.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #8

Myles,
My sensor on my 2005 legacy designer is a resistor array and is connected on the outside of the holding tank. It has 4 connections on the tank at various levels to record level. If it does not read correctly I would make sure all these connections are tight(Philips head screws) and if they are tight I would replace it. They are not expensive and I just replaced my fresh water array.

Pete in NC
pete_5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #9

I suspect the internal sensors are coated with debris and simply need cleaning. I have to use the internal washer on ours to clean the sensors and sometimes they still show full. Usually after the first flush on a new trip the LEDs will light up untill they dry. Any spray from the flush will turn them on.

There are some additives for the tank sold by CW and other RV dealers but have never tried them. Usually rather expensive in my book.

Good luck.

Jim
Priscilla, best friend & navigator.
Hank (5 year old black & tan Dachshund)
Cocoa (3 year old brown & tan dapple Dachshund)
2010 Fleetwood Excursion 30a
Toad is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X
(We traded in our F250 and Jayco Eagle)
One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #10

The best product on the market right now is Pure Power Waste Digester. Do not use soap of any kind, as it will only leave a film on the side of the tank and cause false readings.
SWEET74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEET74 View Post
The best product on the market right now is Pure Power Waste Digester. Do not use soap of any kind, as it will only leave a film on the side of the tank and cause false readings.
Thanks for the advice on the soap. I do know that my dealer used the Pure Power Waste Digester and it worked really well!!!