Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #1

2009 Eagle 351 RLSA--electrical issue

I'm a novice so need some advise on what to check. It seems not all of my camper is running off the 50 amp hookup. Only my TV and stereo. Everything else seems to be running off my batteries. After a few days they are dead and that annoying alarm goes off. I can tell you I just bought these batteries and I did however hook them up backwards for a short time. Did I blow a fuse some place other that in the fuse box because I pulled all those and they are fine. Is there a reset someplace to check? Or do I need a technician to come check my camper? Any feed back is appreciated
bevisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

A couple questions,

Are you plugged in to a 50 amp service? Or are you using a cheater plug at home from a typical wall outlet?

Next, have you checked you circuit breakers both I side the camper and for the service (home breaker panel or service post). If the proper breakers are used (dual pole) if one half trips the entire breaker should trip. But if someone installed two single pole breakers then you could loose just one power leg.

If you have a volt meter, I would check the power at the shore power outlet, after verifying all the breakers are turned on.

Do you have to ac units? If so do they both work at the same time? If you have two ac units they should be wired so one is connected to each power leg. If only one will work then I would suspect a bad power leg some where.

There is a fuse, to protecting the power system, and it will blow if you reverse hook up the leads. I believe it is at the fuse panel, but I have never blown one yet, so hopefully someone will chime in and tell you more about it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

I am plugged directly into a 50 amp service. No Cheater plug. I am at a campground.

I checked all fuses and all breakers--both in the camper and on the post --all good there or they are not tripped

Only have one AC unit.

all my fuses seemed fine that why I can't figure out what's going on?

thanks for your help much appreciated
Old 04-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #4

Don't forget your breaker in your converter box (power distribution panel). GFCI tripped somewhere? Outlets working?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #5

It sounds like your converter is not functioning. Check your breaker that powers your converter. If that seems OK then get someone with a AC tester to see if there is power going to your converter. Its possible the converter has failed. I don't know if hooking up the batteries backward would cause that or not.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #6

Sounds like the power center is not charging your battery or powering the 12V items. If you disconnect the battery (neg terminal or disconnect) the 12V things should be live (thru the converter). If there's no 12V then I'd suspect the converter/charger. I don't know anything about troubleshooting these tho. Keep us posted.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #7

Check 50 amp breaker at campground pedestal .. Turn off, back on

You can also take a 110 v device and plug in at the post to ensure site has power

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #8

hoppers4-- where is my converter box? Like I said I'm a novice.

I checked all the breakers on my panel they are not tripped

I turned the power on and off at the post--all good

I don't know about this converter box and that breaker?????

thanks all you're very helpful
Old 04-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #9

Uh oh, I'm in trouble on that one. I have a MH and the converter box is under my bed. Your configuration is different. The converter box is the unit with 115VAC breakers and 12VDC fuses. This would be power distribution for your entire rig. 115VAC will come into this converter and be distributed through breakers to all outlets, water heater, micro, fridge, A/C and etc. The converter's job is also to generate 12VDC to keep your battery charged and also distribute the 12VDC to whatever needs it such as lighting, fridge control, water heater control, water pump, furnace, etc. If you've located such a box that has 115VAC breakers and 12VDC fuses, then you've found the converter. The first stop for park power is this converter box/power distribution box. First stop in the converter will be a 30 amp or 50 amp breaker depending on the which one you have. From that initial breaker the power will distributed to the other breakers in the box and then out to whatever.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:42 AM   #10

My box then is just inside my door on the wall. I've checked all the breakers and fuses there. All are OK. Thus why I'm stumped. Thanks
Old 04-10-2015, 05:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevisdad View Post
My box then is just inside my door on the wall. I've checked all the breakers and fuses there. All are OK. Thus why I'm stumped. Thanks
Do your lights still work with the battery disconnected and you are hooked up to shore power?

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:21 AM   #12

tnchuck100. No lights but my TV and microwave work. from everything I'm reading here and on other sites it looks like there might be fuses at my converter box that are blown. Can you or anyone tell me where that might be located so I can check?
Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 AM   #13

The microwave works on 120V. It does not use the converter or the battery.

If you do not have lights with the battery disconnected you absolutely have a converter problem.

There should be two green 30 amp fuses in the converter. One is a reverse polarity protection fuse. Since you have already stated you hooked up the battery backward that fuse should be blown.

You have already stated all the fuses were good. Did you check them for continuity or just a visual inspection?

Old 04-10-2015, 06:36 AM   #14

Don't forget to check the fuse on the battery box. May have blown that one also if none of the other breakers are tripped. Should be right close to the battery hookup.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Don't forget to check the fuse on the battery box. May have blown that one also if none of the other breakers are tripped. Should be right close to the battery hookup.
Based on he says he has lights with the battery connected that fuse must be good.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
The microwave works on 120V. It does not use the converter or the battery.

If you do not have lights with the battery disconnected you absolutely have a converter problem.

There should be two green 30 amp fuses in the converter. One is a reverse polarity protection fuse. Since you have already stated you hooked up the battery backward that fuse should be blown.

You have already stated all the fuses were good. Did you check them for continuity or just a visual inspection?
I think tnchuck100 has nailed it; there are fuses on your converter that are blown.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:22 AM   #17

I did a visual only but when batteries were fully changed everything worked so i don't think theres an issue there. I need to locate my converter on my camper and change the fuses. I am thinking my problem will be solved. Any ideas where to look for it??
Old 04-10-2015, 07:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevisdad View Post
I did a visual only but when batteries were fully changed everything worked so i don't think theres an issue there. I need to locate my converter on my camper and change the fuses. I am thinking my problem will be solved. Any ideas where to look for it??
Did you not tell us you found the breakers and fuses? The converter is where they are located. I am now suspecting you really have not located the converter.

Please clarify this.

The converter should not be that difficult to locate. It is typically a panel approximately 12 in. X 12 in. It may be on any non-exterior wall surface but rarely behind a door. I have never seen one that is actually hidden. Below the refrigerator? Under a bench seat? Under the bed? Probably somewhere near where your shore power cable enters.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #19

I have found my normal breakers and fuses. They are located just inside my door to the bottom. They have all checked out.

The fuse in the battery compartment is fine-- it's a 30 amp fuse

I have not found the converter box yet. That was my last question did anyone know where to look? I am not there until this evening so I won't know until I get there. was trying to speed things up to get it checked when I arrive.

I will chaeck all those suggestions. Much appreciated
Old 04-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #20

Post a picture of these breakers and fuses you have described.

I have never seen a situation where the converter and the breakers were located separately.