Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

2009 Jayco SL 30.5DBSA - Dome Satellite Mount Location

I've just aquired a domed satellite (Minimax) and I am wondering where people have had these mounted to their fifth wheel? I've looked thru the net and cannot find anywhere that a good spot might be on a SL. Looked at the flatest spot and it makes the trailer 170" tall? Any help would be appricated.
hymanykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #2

170" is a little over 14' tall. IMO, you are pushing the limits for many overheads and underpasses. Personally, I would find another location.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymanykd View Post
I've just aquired a domed satellite (Minimax) and I am wondering where people have had these mounted to their fifth wheel? I've looked thru the net and cannot find anywhere that a good spot might be on a SL. Looked at the flatest spot and it makes the trailer 170" tall? Any help would be appricated.
Is the flattest spot also the highest spot? Is your entertainment center toward the center or rear? It would be easier to mount the mini-max near or over the entertainment center for ease of wiring. I had a mini-max on my last rig and don't recall absolute levelness being required. If choosing a spot farther back where the height comes down a little your dome shouldn't be any higher than your AC, should it?
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

The issue I have is that the AC is not the highest point. The flat sopt is. 152" the Minimax makes it 170" at that point... Way to high. Any of the trailers heights i've checked against is 159" max tall, I don't want to go over that. My enertainment center is more towards the rear. My therory is that it should be mounted closer to the front of the unit since this gives best odds of clear exposure to the sky. Wondering where others have put them
hymanykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

On my last unit, a Montana, I mounted it near the center, fore and aft. It was over the entertainment center. Clear exposure is important so I always carried a tripod and dish in case I needed it. Never used it

Seems that your choice might be to mount the dome on a lower spot of the roof or not mount it at all?
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymanykd View Post
As a truck driver you can not have anything taller than 13'.8" otherwise you could damage your RV. Most overpasses are set at 13'.8" or higher.
hozerdude is offline   Reply With Quote