Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

2011 EagleSuperLite 31.5 RLDS Shower Drain Issue

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with the shower not draining properly when the holding tank valve is closed?

In my situation at least, when my tank valve is closed - and after about 2 showers - the drain will either be extremely slow, or not drain at all. What will happen eventually is water will literally blow up thru the drain in the sink, then the shower will drain.

If the holding tank valve is open, this does not happen.

What I believe at least is happening is that the drain pipe below deck has no downward cant, and actually has a slightly upward cant to it prior to it going to the pipe that leads down to the holding tank. I believe this is causing a "backpressure" or "air pocket" issue when the holding tank is closed.

I have checked this with the rig as close to dead level as I can, there is a definite upward slope to the shower drain, and if I am parked with even a slight off level cant toward the left/driver side - the issue is even worse.

I've also tested this with 5 gallon buckets ... the 1st 5 will go in, it's gets slow after 10, at 15 it'll start pooling then "gush up" the sink drain.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020673.jpg   P1020674.jpg  
MikeInBaltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #2

Re: 2011 EagleSuperLite 31.5 RLDS Shower Drain Issue

Have you checked for a clogged vent?
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #3

Yup - been up on the roof and visually, no vents have any obstructions or dirt/leaves clogging them up. All original caps are in place.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Site Team

That is usually a vent. Is this a new problem or just noticed

I have seen the vent pipe slip down in the tank. Any way to lift the cap and see the vent pipe?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

This is my first full season with the unit having bought it late 2012, it's been a recurring issue all of this season.
I could pull the caps off, but I'd have to re-caulk them all since they're all quite well factory sealed at this time.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #6

If by chance it's under warranty, then I would take it in. I am no expert, but it certainly sounds like a venting issue to me. The roof would be the easiest place to check. I would think that the cap should come off without re-caulking?

Just a thought (thinking out of the box) to test the vent? Never tried this but just thinking of it. Build some sort of clear tube which can attach where the sewer drain attaches. Open the grey valve and observe the water level and see what happens when it "burps". Now take a small diameter sturdy tube and snake it down the bathroom sink drain, hoping to make an ad-hoc vent and see if the condition changes. Again, never tried this, just trying to think of ways to test and visualize what is happening.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #7

2011 EagleSuperLite 31.5 RLDS Shower Drain Issue

Heading to a repair facility this W/E. It should be warranty work (which is a whole 'nother story)
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #8

FWIW - it does sound like a vent issue ... I've just asked Jayco for a diagram indicating the drain and vent piping layout. If the tank itself has it's own vent tube then I'd agree it has to be a clogged/defective vent tube on the tank. The only vent tube I can see at this point comes down thru the towel closet which is in front of/at the lead of the drain to the shower, piping then goes to the sink, then goes to the holding tank. IMHO, if there is no vent on the tank (hence "sealed" when the valve is closed) - then I'm fighting an "uphill battle" and would explain why I get a literal "geyser" up the sink once there is enough head pressure from the shower, and also explains why this doesn't happen when the valve is open, and also explains why this condition worsens when I'm not level and canted toward the left. We'll see I guess ...