Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2015, 06:39 AM   #1

2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5 RBS Suspension

I have a 2013 Jayco Eagle HT fifth wheel with a Mor/Ryde CRE 3000 suspension system. On our last trip, I noticed that the RH rear tire had contacted the plastic plastic fender trim and wore away about 1 1/4" of the plastic trim. This had not occurred on the other three tires. With the trailer level, the clearance from the plastic fender trim was about an 1 1/4" on both front wheels and about 3/4" on the left rear tire and only 1/4" on the RR tire. No contact with the plastic fender was evident on the left rear tire or either of the front tires.

With the trailer sitting level in all directions, I also measured the distance from the wheel well to each tire and found for following dimensions:

Left Front: 2 3/16"

Right Front: 2 1/8"

Right Rear: 1 1/4""

Left Rear: 2 5/16"

There is over 1" difference in separation height on the rear wheels and only 1/16" difference between the two wheels on the front axle. There is only 2/16" difference between the front and rear tires on the left side and 7/8" difference in clearance between the two right side tires.

I did notice that there are also small skid marks on the top of the wheel well on the RR and LF tires.
There is no evident slippage in any of the shackles or U-bolts and I see no wear on the rubber spring. The right rear leaf spring shows no breaks. The center CRE3000 mount is however, canted to the rear by a couple of degrees while the left site appears level.

Maybe weak of broken spring?

Anyone else have this problem? What can cause this situation and what are the repair options? I emailed Mor/Ryde service about a week ago with photos, but to date, no response.

Thanks,

Scott McNabb
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #2

I assume that you checked each end point of connection for each spring? I've replaced a couple sets of shackles on my trailer over the years. They don't last long. Look close at them and see if there is any difference from one set to another. The holes will oval out before breaking. I doubt that it would cause that much though.

Other thing I would check for is a broken leaf. Follow each leaf from end to end and look (and feel with your finger) for a crack. If a leaf broke, it will crack ask the way through and you should be able to see or feel it on the edge. That would be more likely that a weak pack in my opinion.
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

Do you have adjustable leaf spring holes in the rear most mounts? If so there should be holes in the frame to adjust the mounts.

I would measure the height from the front mount to ground and rear mount to ground on each leaf mount or frame to each if not on level side to side ground. These should be the same giving your axles the same height since the mid "Mor Ryde 3000" point is constant with both

Broken leaf is the other weak point to create sag. Look at them from behind and with a good flashlight as it could be a hairline crack as mentioned above.

Other things:

Bad or missing bushing.
Axle mounts slipped on leaf spring (extreme).
Mor Ryde bushing bad.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #4

OK, got under there and looked everything over, no obvious broken leaves in the springs. Shackles and bushings appear to be normal. There is less than 10,000 miles on the suspension system and tires, including delivery mileage to Florida. Holding tanks are empty, water tank at 1/4 and only a few hundred pounds of cargo, none of the carge over the problem axle/side.

I guess the next thing to do is jack it up and tear into it. I still have not heard anything back from message sent to Mor/Ryde service. Will start calling when I get back in town.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

3'senough, no rear adjustments. The only hole is centered 3.25" from the bottom of the frame, right at the clearance specified bu Mor/Ryde. I believe I have found out that the leaf springs are not part of the Mor/Ryde system and are OEM from the frame manufacturer.

I am parked on concrete with a slight slope, the left side is is 1 1/2" lower than the right. However, the left wheels are on a 1 1/2 high blocks, so I am level sided to side.

Measurements from the right side to the concrete:

Right front frame bracket: 19 1/2"
Right center frame bracket: 18 1/2"
Right rear frame bracket: 19 5/8"
Right concrete to bottom of Mor/Ryde assembly: 14 1/4"
Right Front top spring plate to frame: 5 3/4"
Right Rear top of spring plate to frame: 5 3/4"

Measurements from the right side to the block:

Left front frame bracket: 20 1/2"
Left center frame bracket: 19 1/4"
Left rear frame bracket: 20"
Left block to bottom of Mor/Ryde assembly: 14 1/2"
Left Front top spring plate to frame: 6 1/2"
Left Rear top of spring plate to frame: 6 1/2"

The clearance from the wheel to the wheel are provided in my initial post. No slippage ob the U-bolts on the axle was noted on wither axle or either side and no bushings or spacers appear to be missing and no cracks observed in springs.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #6

If I read your measurements correctly you show a difference in height from frame to leaf spring mounts by 3/4" of an inch on both front a rear, which would indicate a lopsided mount from build. All 4 measurements from the frame should be equal, front back, right and left.

Pictures might help us here too.

Perhaps you bent a spring pack and yes they are supplied by Jayco not Mor Ryde. If your warranty is over then perhaps you need to replace the springs. Worth contacting Jayco and your dealer though for a warranty claim.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 12-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

All four of the end brackets that are welded the the frame have the center of the bolt at 3 1/4" off the frame. The two center brackets where the Mor/Ryde is attached has a bolt center at 4 1/4".

The right Mor/Ryde rubber spring unit is canted a couple of degrees clockwise from 9/3 o'clock. The left side is at 9/3 o'clock.

Based in the Mor/Ryde specs, all four tires should have 3" of clearance from the wheel well. All of my tires have a minimum of 3/4" less than specified.

Therefore, I am stronglyconsidering replacing the springs and contemplating upgrading the bushings and bolts as well. What options are available in bushings (rubber, urethane, nylon, etc.) and bolts (dry, lubricated, etc) and which can be used together? Also looking at bumber stops as recommended by Mor/Rude.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #8

I would get the spring specs from Jayco and also try to go through warranty with this first. If you fail the worst is you are out leafs which should not be that much. Then I would suggest an upgrade to Mor Ryde Wet bolts. They run about $80 for the kit. Brass bushings and zurks to grease.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 12-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

Been out of town for a while, but I sent Jayco warranty service an email today asking about warranty coverage for the springs.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

Jayco to Dexter

OK, Jayco would not take responsibility and referred me to the frame manufacturer, Dexter Axle. I am still awaiting a response from my December 19th inquiry, bad time of year with the holidays. Just trying to fine the weight rating for the leaf springs. Axles are rated at 4400 lbs. Assume springs to be rated somewhere between 2200 and 2500 lbs.
Max Tow Package 1895 lb Payload Capacity
Old 12-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

Is there a follow button? I just want to hear how this goes. Good info.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

Follow Options

I believe that you an subscribe to the post and receive emails. Please note that this problem will probably not be covered by any warranty. I am just trying to find out the specifications for the springs.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #13

Update

Had to wait through the holidays for everyone to return to work. I received a response from Dexter regarding the springs. The original springs were 2200 lb capacity and 26" long and 1.75" wide. Dexter indicated that I could go up to 2500 lb springs if I wanted the upgrade, which I did.

Ordered the springs and the Mor/ryde heavy duty shackle kit. Jacked and braced the trailer and removed the first spring. I laid the old spring over the new spring. The original spring was 3/4" shorter than the new spring. I checked the new spring and it was exactly 26" from center to center of the eyes. The old spring was 25 1/4" center to center and much flatter than the new spring. I thought that when the spring flattens out it would get longer. It has the original Dexter stamp on the back of the old spring.

I installed the first set of springs, which was very easy and although the springs are about in total an inch and a half longer than the springs I replaced, everything seemed to fit. The only concern I have is that the spring eyes and shackles adjacent to the CRE 3000 equalizer are very close to the equalizer (less than 1/4").

I have contacted Jayco to see if that installed shorter springs after they took delivery of the frames to accommodate the CRE 3000 system.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 101 View Post
Had to wait through the holidays for everyone to return to work. I received a response from Dexter regarding the springs. The original springs were 2200 lb capacity and 26" long and 1.75" wide. Dexter indicated that I could go up to 2500 lb springs if I wanted the upgrade, which I did.

Ordered the springs and the Mor/ryde heavy duty shackle kit. Jacked and braced the trailer and removed the first spring. I laid the old spring over the new spring. The original spring was 3/4" shorter than the new spring. I checked the new spring and it was exactly 26" from center to center of the eyes. The old spring was 25 1/4" center to center and much flatter than the new spring. I thought that when the spring flattens out it would get longer. It has the original Dexter stamp on the back of the old spring.

I installed the first set of springs, which was very easy and although the springs are about in total an inch and a half longer than the springs I replaced, everything seemed to fit. The only concern I have is that the spring eyes and shackles adjacent to the CRE 3000 equalizer are very close to the equalizer (less than 1/4").

I have contacted Jayco to see if that installed shorter springs after they took delivery of the frames to accommodate the CRE 3000 system.
Did you also get the wet bolt kit? Every one I've seen also comes with heavier shackles as well as the greasable bolts and new, bronze bushings. If you did =not= then you =should=. :-)

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #15

Update

Called Dexter (frame and axle manufacturer) and questioned the length of the springs on our fifth wheel. The specification that Dexter previously provided specifies 1.75 x 26", double eye, 2200# (see attached). When I questioned this size today, I was told that then measure the length of the spring with the capacity load on it and that causes the spring to elongate to 26", but the unloaded weight is 25 1/4". Nowhere in the specifications does it mention that the dimensions are calculated under a load. All of the sources for new springs measure by the unloaded length from the center of the eyes. Now I have to arrange the return of the springs and purchase new springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Specifications.JPG   Specifications 2.JPG  
Old 01-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #16

Update

Reordered springs that fit this time. Installed along with Mor/Ryde heavy duty shackles and wet bolts. Surprisingly, it did not make much if any difference in my wheel well clearance. I upgraded to 2400# from the stock 2200# leaf springs.

I just ordered progressive urethane bump stops to prevent the wheels from bottoming out in the wells.

Everyone is thinking I am overloaded, well, I have not taken the rig to the scales, but my tanks are empty, as well as all of the closets and drawers, with the exception of the kitchen, my set-up equipment and a few folding chairs under the bed and a few other things. I can't imagine that there is more than 500# of stuff in there right now, well short of the 3300# capacity. If it ever stops raining for more than a day, I will totally unload the rig to see if that changes the clearance.