Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #21

A little story about loaded weights…….a friend of mine towed his TT from one seasonal site to another, a distance of about 70 miles. He used his half-ton pickup. The 32 foot TT had a tongue weight around 900 lbs, but he also loaded his patio stones in the bed of the truck, so he only had to make the trip once. Twenty four stones at 50 lbs each for a total of 1,200 lbs. So, his truck was carrying around 2,100 lbs. He told me at the end of the trip, his truck tires were too hot to touch. He laughed and said he made it in one piece. I just smiled and shook my head, thinking of what could have gone wrong.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
I thought I could get a 2500, but if you do the same exercise, a 2k pin weight, on a loaded 3/4 ton diesel, MOST will be over their payload capacity (when factoring in the family in the truck) and or axle weights.
This is EXACTLY what happened to me on our first 5er. Pin weight was 2225 and we were over the limit. I know a lot of guys do it but it was not a comfortable experience for me...for me. The wisest advice I have ever heard about towing is that "you can never have too much truck".

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKEagle View Post
snip.... Bottom-line, payload capacity on our trucks is somewhat underrated/ conservative. I could say, with a proper tires/ springs/ shocks set up, a 20-25% weight increase should be fine.
I'm not sure by your statement "our trucks" if you are referring to Tundra's, or trucks in general.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I would take your Tundra to a CAT scale and confirm how much actual Payload Capacity you have remaining (available) for the hitch and pin weight....., eliminate all the assumptions.

I personally wouldn't assume that manufacture specified Payload Capacities are somewhat underrated/conservative, because I haven't seen any real qualitative or quantitative data that suggests this....., but that's just me.

Exceeding your Tundra's payload capacity by 20% to 25% towing a FW is your choice, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101vet View Post
And about loading your truck until it sags, guilty as H**L here:wink:
One confession already. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I have no advice on Tundras or 5ers to offer, but I can welcome you to the forum, PKEagle!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I'm not sure by your statement "our trucks" if you are referring to Tundra's, or trucks in general.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I would take your Tundra to a CAT scale and confirm how much actual Payload Capacity you have remaining (available) for the hitch and pin weight....., eliminate all the assumptions.

I personally wouldn't assume that manufacture specified Payload Capacities are somewhat underrated/conservative, because I haven't seen any real qualitative or quantitative data that suggests this....., but that's just me.

Exceeding your Tundra's payload capacity by 20% to 25% towing a FW is your choice, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Bob
That's exactly what I intend to do.
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #25

FYI: The frame constructability on the Tundra is unquestionable. It has already been put to test numerous times. Besides it did pull over 290k lbs without any frame failure issues whatsoever. lol

Also, 2000lbs payload on the Tundra is nothing. lol
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #26

Will Rogers once said. "Good judgment comes from experience. A lot of that comes from bad judgment..
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #27

I will say this, however, the new 2014 GMC pickup has some interesting numbers published for it. I understand the Tundra has been re-designed for 2014 also, but could not find any new numbers yet. Here are the GMC numbers. Note: if choosing a 4WD version you lose 300 lbs of payload capacity. I would also say, don’t expect to apply these numbers to older models.

GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 2WD Std Box
6.2L Gas engine, 3:73 axle ratio with Max Tow Pkg

GVWR 7,200 lbs
Base Curb Weight 5,074 lbs
Payload Capacity 2,101 lbs
Tow Capacity 12,000 lbs

Of course the payload capacity would be reduced by the number of passengers and other camping gear, but shifting as much camping gear as you can into the 5er would help.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #28

That might make you feel a little better with the Tundra.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKong View Post

That might make you feel a little better with the Tundra.
What would you expect out of a Toyota engineer????
Old 12-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #30

It's interesting to watch and read about the comparisons. Still need to see more hard engineering specs on the new Tundra. Getting back to the OP topic, know the specs for your own particular truck model. Take it to the CAT scales and verify you're within the specs for your model. The engineers put the specs there for a reason.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #31
Lost in the Woods

This is a great thread and exchange of ideas. I've learned from reading that I'm probably over spec towing this rig with the truck I have. I wouldn't have known as it sits level and seems to handle the load with ease with the exception of being a little short on power on the steep grades.

Not meaning to belabor a point already made, but as far as safety, a good, alert driver is the foremost component. I'm sure all of you guys are just that but I have seen a few out there that are going way to fast and not paying attention in general.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101vet View Post
This is a great thread and exchange of ideas. I've learned from reading that I'm probably over spec towing this rig with the truck I have. I wouldn't have known as it sits level and seems to handle the load with ease with the exception of being a little short on power on the steep grades.

Not meaning to belabor a point already made, but as far as safety, a good, alert driver is the foremost component. I'm sure all of you guys are just that but I have seen a few out there that are going way to fast and not paying attention in general.
I agree with everything that you say about being a alert and safe driver. But the unexpected issue such as a emergency stop or a malfunctioning brake control or a bad connection in your TV to your trailer or any combination of these things can get you in deep trouble before you realize it if you don't have enough truck. I had a 2008 Chevy diesel 2500 that had great power but not enough brakes. Coming onto an interchange, a car stopped in front of me. I was watching the mirrors to merge and didn't pick up on the car stopped in front of me. I hit the brakes and then realized it wasn't stopping. The plug on the trailer had came loose. Luckily there was room to swerve to the right (just barely) to avoid a rear end collision. My point is that it's in your best interest to not being near the upper limits on any portion of your TV. That truck was theoretically plenty heavy enough to handle an 8000 lb. trailer. But I was well aware that in a tight spot, it was weak on brakes. Murphy's law **** near bit me!!! Trailer brake failure along with an emergency situation had me in a bad spot. A truck with better brakes would have reduced my panic mode exposure. A Tundra is a fine truck but operating above or near its upper limits is playing with fire in my book!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #33
Lost in the Woods

"Plug fell out"

Holy cow, that would definitely to it! My present brake controller will warn me it the trailer isn't connected. Was your plug damaged so that the ears that engage the plug, didn't?
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #34

I had just went over a series of rumble strips.. I have to assume that was pulled the plug. No, there was not any indication on that truck controller that told me there was an issue. The plug was scuffed a little but still useable. The 2011 Ford that I have now has an integrated controller that tells if there is no connection. This truck also has excellent brakes.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #35

well with all you guys talking about how great the frame is on the tundra im just going to leave this here

and this

now i know it is probably a little biased but it is something to think about, i dont expect people to not buy a toyota over it but that is seriously alot of flex
personally i believe imports are ment for comfort and domestics are ment for working (with the exception of the dodge with coil springs, that was a dumb idea for people that actually use their trucks)

as far as the 5er that one i would not tow with any half ton, i was looking at the 23.5 eagle HT and that was pretty much all i would do with my ford even with all the stuff i have done and plan to do with it
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey965 View Post
well with all you guys talking about how great the frame is on the tundra im just going to leave this here

and this

now i know it is probably a little biased but it is something to think about, i dont expect people to not buy a toyota over it but that is seriously alot of flex
personally i believe imports are ment for comfort and domestics are ment for working (with the exception of the dodge with coil springs, that was a dumb idea for people that actually use their trucks)

as far as the 5er that one i would not tow with any half ton, i was looking at the 23.5 eagle HT and that was pretty much all i would do with my ford even with all the stuff i have done and plan to do with it

I would not get wrapped up on those type tests. Get up to the bigger Fords, and they do the same thing.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #37

All I was really saying is that I would rather have a welded boxed frame over the riveted 3 piece frame with an open c channel under the bed.

Toyota does have some nice stuff in their trucks but they fell short on what holds it all together
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #38

I tow a 27.5 eagle ht and just got back from a 320 mile round trip from mt vernon indiana to nashville tn. First time pulling very far. My dry pin weight is 1275 and rated payload 1340 for my tundra. It pulled well with plenty of power and braking and got 9.5 mpg. May get better as I learn how to tow better. I have air ride bags and 10 ply tires. Heres all I'm going to add to the thread. Toyota went to the sae j2807 standard in 2011 dropping the payload 500 pounds just going to the standard like all the brands agreed to but toyota being the only brand that did. So how are the other brands getting their payload numbers. Going 500 over the standard like toyota used to do? And other brands most likely still do. Im not trying to say overloaded is the smart thing to do but 200 or 300 lbs over I don't see as a big deal when all brands don't report numbers the same. I think the original poster may be pushing it but I'm not saying it can't be done.
mrclean is offline   Reply With Quote