Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #1

2014 Jayco Eagle Touring Edition & 2008 Toyota Tundra (5.7L V8)

Hi guys,
Newbie here. I am in the process of upgrading from a Travel Trailer to a 2014 Eagle 28.5BHDS. My TV is a 2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab with 5.7L V8 Engine.

I created this thread with an effort to solicit real life input on how the Tundra would handle the Eagle 28.5BHDS 5th Wheel. Dry weight on the Eagle is approximately 8,300Lbs. Pay/ Hitch load weight is 1,622.

Toyota Tundra’s Max Towing capacity is 10,500 lbs. With a pay load of 1,500lbs.

The Tundra is a ½ ton truck but it can handle quite a bit more than what it is rated for. I use it daily as a work truck and I have to say it is on par with a few ¾ ton trucks. Plus I intend to invest in some helper springs (TIMBREN Suspension Enhancement System) to elevate rear sagging.

That said, I am very well aware that I am pushing the limits here but I would like to hear SPECIFICALLY from a member who currently has a similar/ close set up or had such a set up in the past. How is the overall towing experience? How does the Tundra handle on steep grades? etc etc.

Thanks in advance.
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
I am pushing the limits here
Real life; The delivery weight of the 5th wheel will probably be closer to 85 to 8600lbs. Pin weight will probably be closer to 1800lbs. You will end up being easily 500 to 700 lbs over payload capacity once loaded. You will probably exceed your GCVWR and rear axle weight rating. Rear suspension enhancements don't increase capacities. Vehicle manufacturers put those weight stickers on their vehicles for a reason. JMO
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #3

Figuring 25% of GVWR, you are 1000lbs over just on pin weight alone. Sorry, as much as I love Tundras, I've had two of them, they are not suitable to tow any but the lightest 5th wheels.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKEagle View Post
snip....... I created this thread with an effort to solicit real life input on how the Tundra would handle the Eagle 28.5BHDS 5th Wheel.....snip
Welcome to JOF

Knowing how much "real life" available Payload Capacity your specific Tundra actually has will eliminate a lot of the guess work. Take your loaded Tundra (passengers, full fuel, cargo, etc.) to a CAT scale and weigh it (easy process, takes 15 seconds, about $9). Subtract the CAT scale weight from the Tundra's GVWR noted on the driver's door...., the remaining weight is available payload capacity for the FW's loaded pin weight, hitch weight, and any other TV weight not accounted for at the CAT scale.

Jayco published UVW (8,225 lbs) and Hitch Weight (1,622 lbs) are not Ship Weights, refer to the Yellow Sticker on the side of the FW. If the 28.5 BHDS isn't available, IMO add at least another 400 lbs to the published UVW (as member TCNASHVILLE mentioned).

For your actual loaded pin weight allow 20% to 25% of the 28.5 BHDS's projected loaded weight...., depends on your personal loading habits.

The Tundra's published Tow Rating and Payload Capacity is based on it's Curb Weight. http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

I realize you are looking for input "specifically" from members with a similar TV/FW combination.., but I felt the previous information would be helpful in your do diligence.

Bob

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKEagle View Post
Hi guys,

That said, I am very well aware that I am pushing the limits here but I would like to hear SPECIFICALLY from a member who currently has a similar/ close set up or had such a set up in the past.

Thanks in advance.
I really hesitated in responding to your thread cuz I am not replying with information that you specifically asked for...and therefore ask forgiveness. However, (there always seems to be a "however") IMHO you are not thinking about safety here. You will be way over on your pin weight and that is dangerous because you need a safety margin. I was in a similar situation where my 3/4 ton TV was way undersized for the pin weight on our previous 5er. For me, driving with that condition was not fun and I really considered that I was putting my life and others lives in jeopardy. I hope your decisions are good ones

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #6

I know you don't want to hear this, but that's too much trailer for that truck. If you were to have an accident and, God forbid, injure or kill someone else their attorney would have a field day...............
Dual Pane Windows
Rear View Safety backup camera
Macerator system
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #7

Since the OP seems to understand that his setup is likely overweight / not ideal, and is requesting the towing experiences from RVers in a similar circumstance, perhaps we could see if anyone is in a similar circumstance rather than reiterating what is already known? Now it may turn out that there is no one else willing to operate such a combo, but you never know.
mraplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

We were over nighting in Ely, NV last spring and the guy next to us was pulling a 5er with a Tundra. He was from Canada and seemed very happy with his setup. I'm sorry that I don't recall what model his 5er was but it was at least a 28 footer.

I'm thinking that power in the mountains might be a consideration, although it seems that the newer gas V8s have some pretty respectable numbers.

I guess I'm guilty of not being as cautious as the rest about safety. I figure the nut that is sitting behind the steering wheel is the cause of most accidents.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #9

3/4 ton minimum needed. Way, way too much for any half ton
Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #10

We just purchased the 2014 Eagle Touring Edition 28.5bhds this past fall. Pin weight has already been mentioned and it is a very valid point. I do have a Tundra V8, but I don't haul the fifth wheel with it. I haul with a Chev 3/4 ton diesel. I didn't get a chance to weigh the truck with the unit hooked up, but it squatted the truck pretty good. Pretty sure it would be too much weight for the Toyota. Legally and wear and tear on your truck.We hauled our previous fifth wheel with a half ton before but it only weighed 7200 gvw 5600 dry. That was about the limit I felt comfortable with on the half ton. JMHO.
I have not hauled this fifth wheel with the Tundra, so I can't give the OP the exact feedback he is looking for. I have pulled the fifth wheel he is looking at, and I do own a Tundra which I've towed pontoon boats, trailers, etc. Based on that, I would suggest that this particular fifth wheel is too much for the Tundra.
Rangerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #11

PKEagle, I actually want to apologize for my post above as it contained a rather snippy comment. You are new to this Forum and I didn't even welcome you to it. I don't really dwell on negativity, but I wasn't sure you would get a response from anyone who towed with that combination, or admit it. No one knows your truck better than you. With that said, this Forum is a wealth of ideas, information and advise, and we have to go by the numbers. If Toyota made a 3/4 ton truck, I'd probably have one. Good luck in your endeavors and keep posting.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

PKEagle, if you are still reading your thread I was killing time today and wandered into a Tundra forum. You might get something from reading input from the guys that are towing various trailers with their Tundras. The address of one thread is: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...el-owners.html
Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #13

I think you will able to tow that fifth-wheel but you will be very close to capacity. As far as braking, you shouldn't have a problem as long as the trailer brakes work correctly, the Tundra has very substantial brakes as well as frame. My biggest concern would be the power in your engine as well as gas mileage. I don't believe the Tundra is very efficient with gas and when you hook up a fifth-wheel, it will probably go down quite a bit. We are pulling a somewhat lighter fifth-wheel, 2012 Jayco Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 RLS, with a dry weight of around 7,300 pounds and GVW, I believe, of 9,950. Our mileage on our Duramax is up to around 19 on highways with 65 mph limits but drops to a little less than 12 when pulling our fifth-wheel and boat.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #14

I don't have the Tundra and fifth wheel combo. Wanted to. Also had a 24' tow trialer and a Tacoma, and REALLY wanted to upgrade to the Tundra for the planned fifth wheel purchase. After much worry, research and forum replies I went with a truck that I knew would not have the slightest bit of issue with my Eagle 29.5, an F350 6.7l diesel.
I still look at the Toyotas and wish they made a truck one size larger.
I do see folks pulling 5ers with Tundras and still wonder how that would have been. I suspect that the weight was one thing, but the diesel really makes this combo comfortable.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #15

Wow! I am thrilled by the different responses that came through. Thanks for all the feedback. A couple of items I haven’t clarified yet;

1) I am an extremely ‘light’ trailer loader. By this I mean, I NEVER carry more than what I don’t necessarily need. I don’t do dry camping, so carrying fresh water doesn’t happen. That said, I am 100% sure that at any given time, with all my camping gear & equipment, I wouldn’t load up more than 800lbs extra. This would add another ~200lbs on the Tundra’s payload (25% of 800).
2) The 5th Wheel Trailer comes with a Reese Revolution Pin Box. That means, I will be using a Reese Towpower 30047 16k Fifth Wheel Hitch which weighs 120lbs.
3) Just in case you are not aware, total payload on our trucks per the manufacturer has already factored an average weight of 150lbs on each passenger. This has been discussed before and beaten to death.

This puts me on a rough total payload weight of approximately 2,000lbs.
My Tundra comes with the TRD package which has the beefier Bilstein shocks. Will swap the tires to high capacity Load Range E tires plus bag/ enhance the rear suspension.

I am not a full time R’vier and I would take the Camper 4-5 times a year within 200 Miles radius.

Let’s be honest, how many times have you loaded the bed of your truck making the rear sag so much with a lot of crap without calculating the actual payload? I would imagine 80% of us have been victims. I would imagine that the payload on some trucks hit the marginal 2,500lbs.

Anyway, I am not trying to justify anything but I have hauled stuff that weighed over 2,500lbs before and other than the rear sag, my Tundra handled it just fine.

Take for example, All Trucks that Jayco has listed as being ½ ton 5th Wheel towable. Do you think they would have this list created and posted on their site without weighing liability/ ramification at risk just in case of anything?
http://www.jayco.com/products/fifth-wheels/eagle-ht

Also, link below shows the actual available ½ ton towable 5th Wheels. Note the Camper at the very bottom of the list (29.5BHDS)
http://www.jayco.com/products/fifth-...oorplans-specs

At 7900lbs dry weight, 1,400lbs hitch weight and 2,000lbs Carrying Capacity this unit could easily be pulled by any stock ½ ton truck. Even if you end up maxing out the total carrying capacity there will be an added payload weight of 500lbs (25% x 2000). This weight right here would actually end up being more than my anticipated set up.

Keep in mind, these are not my numbers. Rather, a 5th Wheel manufacturer’s numbers. I saw just about the exact same info on other Camper Manufactures who have ½ ton towable 5th wheels. Nothing different at all.

Bottom-line, payload capacity on our trucks is somewhat underrated/ conservative. I could say, with a proper tires/ springs/ shocks set up, a 20-25% weight increase should be fine.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #16

well, it appears you have certainly done your homework. All I can relate to is my recent experience. I have a 2013 Ram Larramie Crew Cab with Hemi. I was on my way to the Jayco dealer to look at/buy a 28dsbh trailer. It had a GVW of 7500 lbs I think. Tongue weight would have been around 1200-1300lbs (15%). I loaded the wife and 2 boys up (6 and 2 years old) and went to a CAT scale and got weighed...I was shocked to say the least. With just us and a full tank of fuel, I was at 6380lbs (I am 250, wife is 120, kids are 50 and 30lbs or so).

This is far, far heavier than any spec listed on the RAm website. Granted, the Laramie is loaded with almost every option, and Rams are notorious for having the lowest payload capacity of any of the 1/2 ton trucks (in the nicer trim levels), but it leaves very little real world payload for a trailer of any size. I was so disgusted we went home and I am now trading it in on a 3500 Cummins and getting a fifth wheel. I thought I could get a 2500, but if you do the same exercise, a 2k pin weight, on a loaded 3/4 ton diesel, MOST will be over their payload capacity (when factoring in the family in the truck) and or axle weights. If that is true of most 3/4 ton's with 2k and higher pin weights, there is no way I would look to pull a fifth with 2k pin weight with a 1/2 ton truck. The frames, suspension (yours might be an exception with the shocks), brakes and tires are not up to it. As well, your Tundra has the power to pull it, but as bad as they are on gas with no trailer, I wonder what you would be looking at pulling that fifth....5-6mpg???

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but I almost made this same mistake (toomuch trailer for my truck)...and I had just bought the truck a few months ago!!! Good luck whichever way you go.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #17

Just an observation here.....it seems the title of your thread is misleading. The title names the Eagle Touring line of 5ers, and yet now you refer to, and link to, the Eagle HT product line. There is a world of difference between these two product lines.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #18

David,
Actually these two units are very comparable in terms of weights. My reference to HT 29.5 was to show that it is indeed classified under a 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel but has relatively identical unloaded vehicle, dry hitch and cargo carrying capacity weights as the Touring 28.5. They both have a GVWR of 9,950 total.

See link below
http://www.jayco.com/pages/products/...ass_id3=Select

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Just an observation here.....it seems the title of your thread is misleading. The title names the Eagle Touring line of 5ers, and yet now you refer to, and link to, the Eagle HT product line. There is a world of difference between these two product lines.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

PK, at least you got everyone talking, good for you. And best of luck with whatever combo you choose.

And about loading your truck until it sags, guilty as H**L here:wink:
Old 12-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #20
Site Team

I have no advice on Tundras or 5ers to offer, but I can welcome you to the forum, PKEagle!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote