Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #1

2016 28.5RSTS & new to camping

Hello fellow campers! New to travel trailer camping and new to fifth-wheels! Our new 28.5 RSTS is at the dealer now awaiting some items. Unfortunately, during transit to the dealer, the pantry door opened which caused the door knob to dent the frameless, double-pane window edge on the slide-out and managed to break off the door knob and damage the door! They are replacing the door and window, but have no idea how long it will take for the parts to come in - they said Jayco doesn't usually keep the windows in stock. Also, during the PDI, a gas leak was noticed - a bad regulator was found under the trailer and that, too, is on order. They had a heck of a time finding it.

I chose to upgrade to the Maxxis tires, double-pane windows, electric rear stabilizers, 50 amp and the second AC unit. The new "Whisper Quiet" main AC is super quiet and it was pumping out enough cold air in the bedroom area that the second AC probably won't be needed, but I thought it was better to have them install it now than to add it later.

I like that the interior lights are all LED and that the new models are prepped for solar on top for up to 500w of power. I became a GoPower dealer and will be using the trailer as a demo unit for solar equipment. Since I'm new to the trailer and solar, it should be a fun adventure.

I was disappointed with the repairs needed, but the dealer said almost every trailer they get in needs something done to it since they are put together so quickly. I'm glad there is a 2 year warranty on it, but I also opted in and purchased the 5 yr one due to the initial quality control issue.

I ordered the rig not even having a truck to pull it with. The dealer said they would deliver for free. I plan on placing it behind my barn and have the entrance overlook my pond. I did find a good deal on a used F350 and it is now in the shop getting worked on - fixing what Ford should have done to all their 6.0 diesels to begin with.

I really can't wait to get the trailer home and start going over it to see what all I can do with it! We look forward to meeting fellow campers and to see how fun camping can be. If you see someone having difficulty setting up their site, be kind - it could be us!

Here is a pic of the rig at the dealer.

Kevlar119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like you found a dealer who may bear going back to, Nice looking rig.

I know what you mean on the 6.0 PSD. Once I had the EGR cooler removed and the bypass kit installed, a coolant water filter installed, it runs like my old 7.3 except with more power, comfort and a better transmission.

Mine just turned 105k.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #3

Beautiful rig. Congratulations!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #4

congrats I have the same rig 2015 and love it you did some upgrade I wish I had. But all in all I love it and think you will to
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #5

Thanks - it was finally delivered to the home (truck still in shop). I went to check the replacement window and it was open at the bottom and wouldn't lock. It looks like a plastic piece from the window "lock" lever broke off and wedged itself in the center frame keeping the window from fully closing - it has about a 1/4" gap. So, I'm waiting on the dealer to let me know if just the locking mechanism can be ordered or if it will be another 30 days for a new window. I contacted Jayco support about a week ago trying to find out when the window would be in since it was closing in on the 30 day mark - they were clueless - couldn't find anything using the VIN - I guess they ended up calling the dealer and replied back that the part was ordered and yada yada. The dealer took the time to explain that Jayco doesn't keep the double-pane windows on hand and they must be special ordered - It would have been nice if customer service could have provided better details. So, new window is broken and so the wait continues.

I still have no idea where the solar power cables are - the dealer couldn't find them and the diagram Jayco sent them wasn't even for the roof portion of it - it was for the side solar plug. There is also a switch in the battery box that we have no idea what it's for - dealer didn't know either - their best guess is it's for the back-up camera - I haven't had time to try it yet. And during the walk-through/acceptance tour, the rep couldn't tell me how to manually put in or out the slides! He couldn't find the spot for the tool - I still can't find it either (will be going through the instruction manuals this week).

I'll be calling CS again tomorrow trying to find out where those solar cables are! So far, we would really have to think hard about purchasing another Jayco product - I hope it gets better!
Kevlar119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:48 AM   #6

We had issues with Jayco CS when we first got our 2015 29.5 BHDS. We love the camper but it was a struggle getting through the first two months. Hang in there!!!
Bish324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #7

We have had excellent CS with Jayco I deal with them direct. I wish I had a dealer that gave a ^$%#%$# Hang in there you will love it
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote