Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

2016 29.5FBDS Half Ton Towable?

Hey guys,

Went to the RV show this weekend and fell in love with the 29.5FBDS after looking at mostly travel trailers. The sales guys swear up and down that I will not have any problems towing this with a 2015 F-150 (with Max Tow Package). However, after doing some research this morning it looks like I'll be close or maybe even over the payload limit.

Can you experienced guys give me real world advice on this setup? Am I reading/calculating this right? Thanks a lot for your input.

F-150
GVWR 7050 lbs
Front GAWR 3525 lbs
Rear GAWR 3800 lbs
Towing capacity 11,700 lbs
GCWR 17,100
Payload 2060 (I'm not 100% sure this is right. I got it from Ford's site but can't find anything listed specifically on the truck)

29.5FBDS
Unloaded weight 8130
Dry hitch weight 1,600
Gross vehicle weight 9950
Bukow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Where the 1/2 tons fall short is mostly on the payload. Have your TV & TT loaded to your needs and go to the CAT scale. When you have all the weight figures add your passengers and see of you are within the Payload figure. Advertising by the mfg. are misleading and a sales rep. is even more misleading. Cat scales don't mislead but can be out by 50 lbs.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #3

So your payload is 2060 lbs and the dry pin weight is 1600 lbs.
After you're all loaded up the actual pin weight will be more like 1800+ lbs.

That leaves you with around 260 lbs to play with.

Fuel and a driver will put you above the trucks payload.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

The sales guy is most likely not talking about yellow stickers and numbers. He most likely sells more campers to F150 owners than all the rest combined. A visit to any state park campground in my state will confirm that statement.

Nothing magical happens when you put more weight in your truck than is printed on that sticker. There are no sticker police for light trucks.

But you need a good measure of common sense to tow a camper. I know people that are overweight with 350 dualies, but they are safe operators and full timers to boot.

With all that said I personally would not put a fifth wheel hitch in an F150 bed but instead I would look for the right travel trailer and buy the best hitch on the market.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #5

Look in the drivers door jamb for a yellow sticker, will state "Passengers and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". That is the payload for your truck. Chances are it is in the 15-1700lbs range depending on the cab/ bed combo you have.

From the 5ver specs, it looks like you would need the HD Payload package as well to even consider that model 5ver.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #6

Go to the CAT Scale - not always realistic

It seems like good suggestion, as I read above, to just take the truck, RV, and load 'em up and take them to the CAT scale but how is that feasible if you own neither?

I'm early in preparing for replacement for our PUP, and we're pretty much targeting a 5er. I started another thread asking whether these "half-ton towable" 5ers are an oxymoron.

We like the 27.5RLTS model and while it's an HT model, we've concluded that we want some room for safety and will go with a 3/4T truck.

My question, I guess is this: Isn't it too late to take your truck and RV to a CAT scale AFTER shelling out the $60-100k for the combo?

I can't imagine coming home and saying, "gee honey, ya know that $45k Dodge 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab that the Dodge dealer and Jayco dealer said would tow our half-ton-towable 27.5RLTS fifth wheel we bought for $40k? Well, guess what, they were talking out their a$$, the truck won't do the job, and we have to sell it.

My wife would be on the phone with a divorce attorney in 2 seconds.
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #7

1. The max tow alone will not help. You must also get the Heavy Duty Payload package (3.73 gears, bigger tires/rims, HD suspension). Find out from Ford's site what that adds to the capacity. Be careful, many Ford dealers don't even know that that is an additional option, they think it is the same as the Max tow.

2. You'll be close, and likely over, even then. With the 26.5 RLS (lots lighter than what you are looking at), and the wife, and 2 dogs I am right at max. The new Fords will have higher capacity, due to the new bodies, but still....

To-date, I haven't heard of any other 1/2 ton that will carry as much as a tricked out Ford. So yes, being "1/2 ton towable" in general is not the case, with one possible exception, if you shop carefully, and forget ever having a generator, or lots of "stuff" in the camper.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #8

Try this calculator once you have your sticker numbers to get an idea. Get your payload by subtracting your TV curb weight unloaded from your TV GVWR.

http://rvtowcheck.com/rvtc_calculator.html

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #9

Hmmm - maybe you can do it, if you get the right Ford!
Using the gross weight, the Fifth pin weight will be about 1,990.

A 2016 F-150, 6.5 box, with HD Payload and Ecoboost has 3,240 in payload. (2016 Ford F-150 Full Size Pickup Truck | Payload Specifications | Ford.com) That leaves you with 1,250 for hitch (~100 lb), fuel (~190 lb). That leaves a margin of 800 lbs for passengers and stuff (bed liner, running boards, heavier hitch, etc.)

If you already have the Ford you noted...then it's a no go! Pin and hitch weight alone will put you over.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

The 2060lb payload rating is for a stripper truck without options. You final payload will be on a sticker on the door/door jamb. The final number will be determined by your trim level, EG, XL, XLT, Platinum, etc, along with any other options like running boards, etc. You really need the F150 with the Heavy Duty payload option to be able to tow that 5th wheel. You'd have to order it, as dealers don't stock them. Most RV sales people only look at tow ratings when BS'ing customers. We were looking a FL 5er at a recent RV show. I know full well that I don't have the truck for it. But like everyone else at RV shows we look at lots of different trailers. The sales guy approached me and wanted to sell me the 5th wheel. I told him I had a Ram 2500 CTD and the 5th is too big. He said that diesel could pull anything and I'd have no problem. I said what about my payload? It's only 2176lbs with the CTD. He just looked at me and had nothing to say.
JMO but you should look for a lighter 5th wheel.
That 1600lb pin will be heavier before you even hitch up. Add 150lbs for the 5th hitch, another 100lbs for two batteries, add another 200lbs for all the stuff you'll put in the front of the 5th wheels basement storage. That all adds up to 2050lbs. 10lbs under the fictitious payload rating from Fords payload selector page. Now figure in you and whom ever else will be in the truck with you along with what ever else you will carry in the truck. You'll be over the trucks GVWR and RAWR.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

Thank you!

Hi All,

Thank you for the quick responses and good information. It sounds like you confirmed what I already suspected; the payload capacity is too low for a 5'er.

We put a deposit on the trailer but haven't signed any papers so I don't think there will be an issue getting out of the "deal" (since they essentially are lying about capabilities anyway).

One more question though...Is the payload issue something that can be addressed with air bags in the truck?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.
Bukow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukow View Post
Hi All,

One more question though...Is the payload issue something that can be addressed with air bags in the truck?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.
No, airbags will not increase the payload or GVWR of your truck, they are only a leveling tool.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote