Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #1

2016 Eagle HT Delamanation

I have a 2016 Eagle HT 29.5bhds and the back wall looks to be suffering from delamination. I have read that this is from water damage and the only damage to the roof I can find is from when the nit wit service guys at the dealer scuffed it while replacing the awning... along with scuffing the side of my FW. I still have 1.5 years left on the warranty. The camper just spent 6 weeks at the dealer getting warranty work done. Out of a list of 10, they completed 4.

Is anyone else suffering from delamination this soon after ownership?

So far here are the problems with the FW.

Delamination on the rear of FW
Awning started to separate and needed to be replaced
Awning arm needed replaced
3 foot slit in linoleum flooring in bathroom (I thought it was wood)
Vent fan leaking when it rained
Black tank valve won't shut off all of the way. When opened I get a surprise.
Nose cone "Jayco Egale" decal is peeling.
City water hook up leaking behind the panel
Trim falling off/coming loose.
Not to mention the buttons/latches that didn't work including the door handle.

Also, just spend $750 getting a subframe installed so my truck can tow it.

This is my first FW and most expensive camper yet. I have had so many problems with this camper I'm ready to sell it, but don't want to take the $$$ hit.
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #2

Do you have pictures or a better description of where you think it's delaminating? I have the same model, but haven't noticed anything, but think with your information, it warrants a closer look.

I had the city water leak on mine too. They didn't tighten the coupling on the back side. I took care of that one myself, to avoid a visit to the dealer.

My black valve leaks on and off, need to get that corrected.

I replaced the Vent fan in the bathroom due to the leak. I upgraded to a much better Maxx air. I didn't want a cheap POS put back in like what would have happened under warranty.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

Yep, several of those I have too. Also check under the kitchen sink as those threaded connections were loose on mine.

Mine also leaked at the outside shower connection (a fitting leak), black tank valve not closing properly.

Not had most of the others but only been in it 5 months
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #4

Once you get through all of that it becomes easier. I had many issues. Not de lamination but a plethora of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #5

It looks like this (this pic is from another rv site). It's raining and couldn't get it to show up in my picture. Its on the back, from top to bottom, about a foot wide. It's just showed up over the past few months.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
My black valve leaks on and off, need to get that corrected.
Could be paper stuck in the valve seal.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:25 AM   #7

Picture doesn't look like delam. Looks like a defect in the fiberglass. I have a 2014 31.5RLTS and chased a water leak behind panel which I thought was the fitting on the back of the fresh water connection. Access was a pain because of the small access opening. Dealer thought they fixed it but it was sporadic over 2 seasons. I even replaced the conical washer(not easily). Finally found the problem. I couldn't see back there so I stuck my cell phone in there and took a picture. Turns out it was a leak from the connection to the outdoor shower/hose connection that is directly above the fresh water fitting. It was dripping down on the fresh water fitting making it look like that was leaking.
esacnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #8

Black tank seeping is something I think they all have. I brought mine in for warranty work, and they told me the pvc pipe from tank is perfectly level. No downward pitch, so I bought a twist on gate valve that I have so I dont get a surprise. Alot of others have had to do the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-.../dp/B000BGHYJS

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
Black tank seeping is something I think they all have. I brought mine in for warranty work, and they told me the pvc pipe from tank is perfectly level. No downward pitch, so I bought a twist on gate valve that I have so I dont get a surprise. Alot of others have had to do the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-.../dp/B000BGHYJS
Can you explain what you mean by level? How does the level affect whether the blank tank valve seals or not? I, too, have a leaking black tank valve on a brand new 2017. I was going to buy the twist on as well, but I usually like to run with a couple of gallons of water in the black tank to prevent hard deposits. First time I tried, I ended up leaking black water all the way home before I realized what was going on. Seems like a manufacturing defect to me.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

They told me the pvc coming from grey and black tank to the dump is level, so the waste water doesnt come out all the way and when you are driving, it swished back and forth, and ends up in the pipe. Thats what they told me. Now, I have had many other campers, and never had this issue, so I really chocked it up to a bad gate valve gasket, and maybe they didnt want to change it. The add on valve has proven itself to work, and its something I can deal with. If you want to tie the 5er up in warranty for something you can take care of your self for short $$, thats what I chose to do.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #11

I use the twist on gate valve also. I get to use both gray tanks when not at full hookups. They also told me about the pipe being level.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
They told me the pvc coming from grey and black tank to the dump is level, so the waste water doesnt come out all the way and when you are driving, it swished back and forth, and ends up in the pipe. Thats what they told me. Now, I have had many other campers, and never had this issue, so I really chocked it up to a bad gate valve gasket, and maybe they didnt want to change it. The add on valve has proven itself to work, and its something I can deal with. If you want to tie the 5er up in warranty for something you can take care of your self for short $$, thats what I chose to do.
Ok, makes a bit more sense. I'll be picking up the twist on as a backup. I'll still have to have it serviced as the black valve doesn't seal and it needs to. I had also thought about using both grey tanks on dry hookups in this fashion, but not if the black is leaking!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #13

Yes they should not leak at all. It is not a level issue. I tested mine while sitting.

Put a clear elbow on outlet. Drained tanks completely. Then put plug on outlet of clear valve. Over the course of a day it filled up.

Until you get it fixed the twist on gate valve is a good idea.

I do suspect it is something like plastic residue from drilling the tank but can't get at it to find out.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:17 AM   #14

Door handle on entry door. Mine was not adjusted properly when we got it. Hard to get it to latch. Adjusted the striker plate and it works fine.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:31 AM   #15

Back to the original post

My 29.5 rks (2013) had delam on rear wall show up just at the end of 2 year warranty. I noticed it first when camping at a very hot site, and could just make out what looked like a couple of large (4") bubbles. You had to be standing in the right spot with the right lighting to see them.
Dealer told me to get photos and/or come in so they could. Claim was approved, entire replacement wall was ordered. Dealer did the work and was ready in only a few days. Body shop explained that when these walls are made they are a vacuum sandwiched multilayer and an imperfection like moisture or whatever can, under certain conditions like extreme heat, could cause the layers to begin to separate.
My rig has had a few items that needed attention, second biggest was fading front cap, which Jayco also stepped up and remedied, even though warranty had expired. Even so, the problems we've had have been fewer than with our previous, non Jayco, trailer.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #16

As of right now, my warranty claim as been denied. They said it was my responsibility to recaluk the camper every 6 months. Since they didn't see any new caulk on my roof, they denied my claim. So, I guess the warranty is actually 6 months not 2 years. What a cop out. I'm taking the FW to the dealer tomorrow to see how he can help. Hopefully he will go to bat for me. This is my 4th Jayco and the first time I've asked for any kind of help with a warranty issue of this magnitude and it's shot down.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
As of right now, my warranty claim as been denied. They said it was my responsibility to recaluk the camper every 6 months. Since they didn't see any new caulk on my roof, they denied my claim
Specifically spelled out in the owners manual, that's why ETERNABOND tape is the first thing I install after taking delivery.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Specifically spelled out in the owners manual, that's why ETERNABOND tape is the first thing I install after taking delivery.

Explain to me what you do with the tape. I'm a newbie and would love to know this too. Thanks.

myates3158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #19

You cover all the DICOR caulking with the tape.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=W60Uy5C1rtk
Old 06-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #20

After this is done how often do you re apply the tape?

myates3158 is offline   Reply With Quote