Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA nightmare

I purchased a 2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA from Camping World in Anthony Texas 3 weeks ago and have had one problem after another with it.
The first night the water filter was spraying water all over the storage area. It was suggested I fix it myself. The second week my gray water tank for the shower stopped draining because the manufacturer left debris in the tank that washed into the drain line. They hired a local plumber to come out and snake the line. The plumber cut the belly wide open and left it hanging. Camping World sent me a role of tape. Last evening I came home to no furnace. The blower doesn't come on and no ignition. I was told to feel free to bring it in to the dealer and they'll get right in it. That's 3 1/2 hours away and days off from work.
Anyone have similar experiences? Anyone know where to begin to get some resolution? I seriously regret buying this piece of junk!!!!!!!
JohnnyMoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #2

Yes start with the dealer. Nobody likes Warranty problem as it can get long and frustrating. But everyone doesn't get a perfect flawless unit.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. Stinks to start off with issues. My experience with both of my Jayco's have been the exact opposite. But if I was having your troubles I'd try trouble shooting it myself. If your handy it may be something easy. If you've already tried or are not handy, I'd take it to a dealer. Maybe you can get it serviced at a closer dealer. You may be able to call Jayco and have them authorize a repair facility that's closer to home. Good luck.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

Sounds like my trailer,i think mine was built on a thursday afternoon right before a 4 day holiday weekend was starting at the plant,lol. It sucks going back to dealer over and over,but make them fix it all if your not able to,that's the beauty of the 2 year warranty,i was on a first name basis with service crew and my dealer,even brought donuts in for them at times,but after much aggravation it's all been fixed finally

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #5

I spent 3 years at a RV dealer as a parts dept guy.

The dealer is the final safeguard for catching any flaws or issues with any new unit from the factory. They are supposed to run all systems and fill all the water tanks checking for leaks and problems. While I was working at the RV dealer, there was one brand of RV (not Jayco) that was SO BAD, the dealer told the factory to take their brand and product, and shove them.

We just bought our 4th Jayco last spring. We have never experienced any massive issues or problems. Yeah, few minor things, but the dealer always fixed it and made it good. The worst problem ever, was with our previous trailer. The gas hose for the water heater was under the water heater and got pinched off. Even at that, the heater still worked on electricity. So it amounted to a temporary inconvience and my time and fuel cost to take it in.

I've talked to quite a few people while camping over the years. The general consenus is that while all brand new RV's have their issues, Jayco's pretty consistantly have fewer than the others. It sounds pretty clear to me like your dealer prep was not as complete & thorough as it should have been.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

Tail_gunner is right on. Total dealer fail. Even has me wondering why they were still sitting on a 2016.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Left over unit is probably because more people are now reading these articles
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by My garage View Post
Left over unit is probably because more people are now reading these articles
Everyone understands your bitterness in your previous posts... but it's really getting old.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:10 PM   #9

My dealer is so backed up with repairs that they gave me an appointment 2 months ahead to fix a leak in my water system.
chugchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #10

We also have a FLSA and have had our share of problems too but ultimately enjoy our Pinnacle. Our first trip out had 11 discrepancies (2 major/9 minors) but the dealer, and in some cases supported by Jayco, repaired them all. While it may not be what you want to hear but hopefully makes you feel better abiut your purchase. All new RVS have issues and although we never want to start our new adventure with problems. Your issues while serious should be some fairly easy fixes. These forums are helpful especially for problems like you mentioned with your furnace. Even with a warranty and dealer support, we have learned that it is often beneficial to do some repairs ourselves; saving another trip to the dealer. Hang in there, get through the initial issues and I think you will enjoy your FLSA.

Full timers but still active duty AF, anxiously awaiting retirement travels where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 12-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #11

Not really sure why some folks get into Rving. I guess I look at it differently. When we picked up our Pinnacle we bought from a dealer 550 miles from home. We did the PDI and hit the road. That was July '15. Since we too had a water leak, mine was at the pump. I noticed a drip from the compartment, found the leak, tightened the fitting, and put a fan in the basement for a couple days. Problem solved and has not come back. Our drains and black/gray tanks have not given any problems. If a drain is clogged for whatever reason, I would clear it after troubleshooting. Before I cut the belly I would have gone down the drain with a snake or maybe tried from the sewer connection. Allowing a plumber to cut the belly would have been the last resort for me. I would have probably talked to the service tech at a dealership or a mobile repair business about the furnace issue and tried to repair before I drug the unit to a dealership. That would have also been the last resort.

I did notice a seperation in the dicor on the back cap/roof joint this summer. I picked up a tube and reapplied, no sign of a leak anywhere. Is a roof inspection something that should be done at certain intervals by a dealer? I have usually done this myself but it might not be a bad idea if this is something required. We have around 7 months of warranty remaining.
2002 Dodge 2500
2019 Ram 3500
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #12

Camping World could be the start of many issues! We were later told their mechanics shouldn't be allowed to carry screw drivers, as they pushed us out the door so we wouldn't see frame damage from underneath on a wet shop bay floor after the "supposed" protective covering was installed. Finding out Jayco gel caps and fiberglass do NOT need a protective coating, as was sold to us. Bad deal all the way around and have now filed with not only BBB-Indiana but also NHTSA. As we pursue this with Jayco....they may find it would have been better to deal with us than have recalls and highway safety laws changed to reflect any and every vehicle moving down the roads in the USA.....self propelled or otherwise!
DJDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin and Beth View Post
I did notice a seperation in the dicor on the back cap/roof joint this summer. I picked up a tube and reapplied, no sign of a leak anywhere. Is a roof inspection something that should be done at certain intervals by a dealer? I have usually done this myself but it might not be a bad idea if this is something required. We have around 7 months of warranty remaining.
Roof inspections are the owner responsibility. Dealers will gladly take your money but anyone with eyes and the ability to get on the roof can complete the inspection. It should be done at least every 6 months or more often. A major problem can be identified and fixed by the owner just by inspection the roof joints, openings and roof material.

As you did, a small application of the proper caulk can prevent major problems.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #14

I dislike "bad mouthing" any dealer but would never by a unit from Camping World. We have walked several different Camping World lots and found where they have removed items from one unit to fix another. Sometimes the items they replaced may be a year or two older then the actual unit causing further issues.

Hope your issues are resolved to your satisfaction.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #15

I'll never purchase from another camping world

Ever again

The service department has been decent to me but the sales side was the worst god awful experience of my life. As soon as my warranty is up I'll take it another shop and pay more just to make sure they are doing a reputable job on my camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtEmaxChvy View Post
I'll never purchase from another camping world

Ever again

As soon as my warranty is up I'll take it another shop and pay more just to make sure they are doing a reputable job on my camper.

DrtEmaxChvy, even though Camping World will not tell you, you can take warranty work to other approved repair facilities. We all know the disadvantage of requesting service from other than the dealer you purchased from but know it's an option. If continued sub standard service, call warranty division and request alternate repair locations. Good luck either way!

2015 Jayco Pinnacle FLSA & 2008 Chevy Duramax

Anxiously awaiting retirement where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 03-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawe View Post
DrtEmaxChvy, even though Camping World will not tell you, you can take warranty work to other approved repair facilities. We all know the disadvantage of requesting service from other than the dealer you purchased from but know it's an option. If continued sub standard service, call warranty division and request alternate repair locations. Good luck either way!

2015 Jayco Pinnacle FLSA & 2008 Chevy Duramax

Anxiously awaiting retirement where I have been told everyday is a Saturday

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.