Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

2016 Jayco Pinnacle schwintek slide binding

Hi All,

I have a brand new 2016 Jayco Pinnacle. The schwintek slide on the kitchen side ( carries fridge, entertainment system, fireplace) is binding when I retract the slide.

When retracting the slide, it stops after about 6 inches on the fridge side. The other side continues for a few more seconds before stopping. I am able to give it a push on the fridge side so that I can get it started again. Once it starts again, it will finish.

I put out the slides after leveling. I make sure I depress the extend/retract buttons until the slide motors completely stop to keep both motors in sync.

I am unable to locate the location of the slide controller. Can anyone help me find the controller to further diagnose the problem?

I have seen that these slides appear to be problematic in the forums. I would appreciate anything anyone can share on this topic.

It is under warranty. The dealer will be ordering a new motor for the troublesome side of the slide but I am not sure how long that will take.

Thanks
vivusCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #2

Try doing it without putting the levellers down.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
X2. Had a similar problem when the levellers were down, but none since extending/retracting with the levellers up.

My controllers are bolted to the basement ceiling, but I've heard of others being behind the utility center - panel has to come off to get at them
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
I will give it shot. Thanks. I would hate to take it into the dealers if I don't have too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
X2. Had a similar problem when the levellers were down, but none since extending/retracting with the levellers up.

My controllers are bolted to the basement ceiling, but I've heard of others being behind the utility center - panel has to come off to get at them
That is very encouraging. Hope that is my solution too. Will see how it works tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas of where to look for the controllers. Not in my basement. Hadn't thought to look behind the utility center. Will check it out.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #5

Definitely report back if it works without leveling.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Definitely report back if it works without leveling.
Will do. After doing some research in the forums, I am a little alarmed at the number of schwintek slide problems. Doesn't fill me with confidence. I experienced our problem the first time I took it out.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #7

Moving slides out without stabolizers

Tried extending the kitchen slide out without initiating the autolevelling system and the stabolziers.

Kitchen slide extended out fine but still will not retract. Looks very much like the slide motors are out of sync. One side moves before the other. When it gets out of sync. The fridge side of the slide stops.

I have tried the recommended method of fully extending the the slide and retracting 1 to 2 inches and then extending again and holding the extend button until all motors stop but it appears motors will not synchronize.

I did find the controller panel to the bedroom slide on the roof of the basement. However, cannot find the controller panel for the kitchen slide.

I assume there are one controller panel per slide. The panel I found lights up when I move the bedroom slide but not the kitchen slide.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #8

Syncing is out then retracting 8-10 inches 3 times.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Syncing is out then retracting 8-10 inches 3 times.

Thanks Grumpy, saw this video. Our slide will only retract 2 " before one side stops. Other side continues then stops. I can then extend the slide back to the fully extended position. One motor continues to lag behind the other.

I am unable to locate the slide controller. Dealer is unsure where it is located. Will need to call Jayco tomorrow to determine location.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #10

Also take a look at the floor supports under the slide that are elder to the frame and see if they are bent.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Also take a look at the floor supports under the slide that are elder to the frame and see if they are bent.
Unfortunately, the floor supports are not exposed. Our under body is fully enclosed.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #12

Retime a Schwintek Slide

Ok, I was able to get my slide in thanks to the tip offered in this video.

I held the retract button until it stopped. Then I touched the extend button until I heard the motors than I pressed the retract button again. My slide came all the way in.

I repeated this twice to make sure it worked.

My slide does stop once upon retracting. I really think there is still an issue but I am able to get it all the way in by following the procedure in the link.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #13

Try pulling gently on the fridge side. Mine was doing exact same thing. Don't jerk on it, just grab it and lean back gently. Once I did that and pulled it in 8-10 inches and put I back out no more issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC 4WD
2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #14

Try syncing the other way, heard that can be done too. Out 8-10, then back in three times.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #15

vivusCraig- the controller for the kitchen slide on the FBTS is located in the cabinet under the sink in the 1/2 bath. We had the same problem and went thru the reset process of pushing reset button on controller 7 times and running slide in/out. That took care of our problem. If you haven't already done so- go on the web site and print off the manuals for the Schwintec slides- you'll be glad you did!
Old 05-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #16

Problem Solved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlakes View Post
vivusCraig- the controller for the kitchen slide on the FBTS is located in the cabinet under the sink in the 1/2 bath. We had the same problem and went thru the reset process of pushing reset button on controller 7 times and running slide in/out. That took care of our problem. If you haven't already done so- go on the web site and print off the manuals for the Schwintec slides- you'll be glad you did!

Fingerlakes, thanks so much. We found the controller. We reset the controller according to your instructions ( also used the Schwintec pdf), ran the slide out and in.... without stopping.

Did it 3 times successfully! Woppee. Is there anything that needs to be done to take the slide of manual mode. It doesn't look like it but just in case we missed something.

Thanks for your post.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #17

Love this community

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read about my issue and respond. This is a great community. Hope I can give back.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivusCraig View Post
Fingerlakes, thanks so much. We found the controller. We reset the controller according to your instructions ( also used the Schwintec pdf), ran the slide out and in.... without stopping.

Did it 3 times successfully! Woppee. Is there anything that needs to be done to take the slide of manual mode. It doesn't look like it but just in case we missed something.

Thanks for your post.
Hot d---n, always like a happy ending.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #19

Was having same problem, check those braces that are welded to the outside of the frame and bolted to the floor. Found this on the jayco forum showed it to dealer he contacted jayco with pictures and they said could cause the slide to bind. Jayco instructed dealer to replace braces with heavier braces and add two more under the slide where the rollers are, dealer did this and so for so good, look under the slide behind the wheels see if that brace is bent.
gdemorest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemorest View Post
Was having same problem, check those braces that are welded to the outside of the frame and bolted to the floor. Found this on the jayco forum showed it to dealer he contacted jayco with pictures and they said could cause the slide to bind. Jayco instructed dealer to replace braces with heavier braces and add two more under the slide where the rollers are, dealer did this and so for so good, look under the slide behind the wheels see if that brace is bent.
What make and model 5th do you have? I checked our pinnacle as per your instructions. Braces look in tack, no bends, welds look good, no signs of trauma. What did your's look like?

Tags
schwin