Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

2016 Main Awning issue

We purchased a new 375BHFS a few months ago. Just started using the awning about a week ago. Yes it has the scissor type setup. We didn't like it from the start as the scissor assembly appears very flimsy made. Well the first rain and one of our scissor arms bent like a horse shoe. It was a pretty decent steady harder rain but no wind. What really makes me upset out of the 275 rvs at the park, I was the only lucky one that had any problem. Could there be an issue with the cylinder that is attached to the arms or something. Does anyone know what make the scissor arms are? I know my neighbor is very similar but are about 3 times heavier made with a knob to adjust height instead of the little push buttons.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Mine is Carefree of Colorado.

You should have a brochure in your owners package.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #3

I forget who it happened to, but it happened to someone from this forum on thier new NorthPoint. I think maybe even two people.
It was posted last fall.

Yes they are certainly flimsy. My previous rig had a Dometic awning, like what you were describing, it was much stronger and extended farther than this Carefree.
I'm not impressed.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:31 PM   #4

Thanks, Nothing in my owners package for the awning at all. I do know I have the carefree awning with that flex guard on it. The awning had a decal on it but the arms have nothing showing on them. I've been trying to find a parts breakdown on the net but may have to call Jayco since it's newer. I also noticed that the nylon tube that is suppose to run the width of the awning is not there so part of the awning in not attached to the house side properly.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
Thanks, Nothing in my owners package for the awning at all. I do know I have the carefree awning with that flex guard on it. The awning had a decal on it but the arms have nothing showing on them. I've been trying to find a parts breakdown on the net but may have to call Jayco since it's newer. I also noticed that the nylon tube that is suppose to run the width of the awning is not there so part of the awning in not attached to the house side properly.
Also, someone else tried to find info on the Carefree model that is used on our rigs and had no luck.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Here is a source. RV Awnings, Patio Awnings & More - Carefree of Colorado
Maybe you can find your particular one.

In my case, it is a 2011 model, electric and we are extremely pleased with ours.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #7

If the roller bar is level they will catch rain. There are some auto dump models most folks I notice usually lower one end of the tube. I only put mine out if I'm there to watch it. High wind is also bad.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
We purchased a new 375BHFS a few months ago. Just started using the awning about a week ago. Yes it has the scissor type setup. We didn't like it from the start as the scissor assembly appears very flimsy made. Well the first rain and one of our scissor arms bent like a horse shoe. It was a pretty decent steady harder rain but no wind. What really makes me upset out of the 275 rvs at the park, I was the only lucky one that had any problem. Could there be an issue with the cylinder that is attached to the arms or something. Does anyone know what make the scissor arms are? I know my neighbor is very similar but are about 3 times heavier made with a knob to adjust height instead of the little push buttons.
Haven't got my new unit yet but I'm Leary of the electric awnings. They appear flimsy. I'm with RedHorse who suggests keeping one end lower than the other. I've always done that with the manual awnings and have weathered some pretty heavy rain and hail storms without issues. I know you're not supposed to leave them out in rain but who doesn't. 3 or 4 inches difference in height does the trick for rain run off.
Thanks for the reminder though. I'll check the adjustments on my new 5er when I get it out the first time.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:39 PM   #9

Had same thing happen to mine. Here is my thread from last fall. Waiting for my second one to break. You have what is called a "longitude". Carefree told me its the cheapest awning they make. The manufacturers asked for it. Carefree wont even sell it to consumers. Too poorly made. Jayco will replace with a much improved Carefree Traveler awning.

jandjtrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #10

Here is the thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...lse-31224.html
jandjtrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:23 AM   #11

Unhappy

jandjtrumpet, what gets me if I laid my picture overs yours it would probably match up. Same arm, same spot. Just unbelievable they even use something like this. Same principle of the bic lighter. Thanks for posted that info. Hopefully I can get them to ship me a arm so it can retract it without anymore damage to the unit. So are you saying they replaced yours with the traveler?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #12

Well there ya go Shadester, Rock just brought back the thread I was referring too.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...tml#post389387
Old 03-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #13

Hey Klassic, Thanks for locating that for me. A lot of good insight on the issue. If I get any positive news I will certainly post it. Not holding my breath though.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:34 AM   #14

I'm still going strong after 2 1/2 years with no problems. Gone through some strong winds and rains. Tied the awning down a few times to keep it from blowing back, but not problem with water running off, even when it is not angled!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I'm still going strong after 2 1/2 years with no problems. Gone through some strong winds and rains. Tied the awning down a few times to keep it from blowing back, but not problem with water running off, even when it is not angled!
I'm pretty sure it is a new model for 2016. Built much lighter.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #16

I'm in Florida now with my main awning hanging about 4 feet from the ground unable to retract due to the leading arm twisted like a pretzel. I could overlay my pics over yours. Jayco & Carefree do not want to help. can you advise me on what steps you took to get yours covered under warranty. you can contact me directly at 7576199978. thanks for any help.