Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #41

Sad day when you can't use your awning when it looks like rain.....
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #42

Bringing this thread back up. BigJohn I just bought two of the adjustable poles from Home Depot. They are well made and I like the snap adjustment. Way better than my 2x4 on my TT I used. Trying to figure out what to connect to the threaded end to support the care free awning. Still have not after nine weeks got my FW back yet so I have nothing to look at. Right now I am thinking to use a 4x4 drilled and than bolted to the top of the pole and cutting the top to a curve to match the awning top support. Will not be hard mounted just as a support and than tie the awning down with a rope to a screw in stake like I did on my TT. I am not gonna roll up my awning every day for two months of camping on my site. Even with the max angle for rain run off hate to be away when the mountain wind kicks up. Has anyone out there made support poles for there awning?
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #43

Yes, I'm confident it's a chronic issue! *LOL*
Attached Thumbnails
20160319_192929_resized.jpg   20160319_192940_resized.jpg  
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:27 AM   #44

How hard was it raining Shadester?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
For reference in the meantime, here's a link to the more popular painters poles being used and modified a little, along with a few pictures of them installed.
Wooster 6 ft.-12 ft. Sherlock Extension Pole-00R0560000 - The Home Depot

I realize the subject awning in this thread is carefree, but just throwing ideas out there that has prevented similar damage to even the dometics. The damage incurred is what sparked the retired engineer to start building these things, and he has sold 100's of them. Matter a fact he quit doing the poles as he just got overwhelmed with requests.
Since this thread is alive again, BigJohnD, do you have an address for the guy that makes the brackets for the awnings? I think I would like to get a couple if he is still making them. So far no problems, but who knows?

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #46

The rain was moderate for about 10 mins. But no wind. I have noticed the poly bead that hold the awning to the house does not go through the full width of the awning material. Thats how it came from the factory. That is the side that bent. I was wondering why that area over the bent arm looked loose compared to the rest of the awning. Now we know!
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #47

Stand by. I do have one set of brackets, and may have a second set soon. I'm going to take a picture in the morning of mine and post to give a better idea. They should work on the carefree, but it's not hard to make your own if you're a little handy. I'll get with the guy on the FF forum and see if he's still making them.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #48

Quote:
I'll get with the guy on the FF forum and see if he's still making them.
Many of us would appreciate that!
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #49

Quote:
Stand by. I do have one set of brackets, and may have a second set soon. I'm going to take a picture in the morning of mine and post to give a better idea. They should work on the carefree, but it's not hard to make your own if you're a little handy. I'll get with the guy on the FF forum and see if he's still making them.

I told you that you should start making OCs awning brackets LOL [emoji3]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:45 PM   #50

Might need to. Just got unemployed today. Life is great.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #51

Sorry to hear that man. Hope you land on your feet soon.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #52

We'll be fine. Hard to get me down. I have no intentions of ever going offshore again. 20 years is enough. Planning on heading back to the big shop in Sabine parish and RE-establish homestead there.

On the pole brackets, he has 40+ sets on hand right now. He sells them for $85 a set, but would sell for $75 if I bought enough of them. I'll post pictures tomorrow where everybody will know what I'm talking about and what exactly you get. Some don't care to pay that much, but, they work well.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #53

The awning on our 36FBTS collapsed on us last July while in South Dakota. I called insurance co. and they sent a guy to the campground to remove it and make safe for travel. When the new one was sent- same story as others-sent some parts but not all. Finally got installed and one new arm bent while installer was running it in and out adjusting the fabric! Had to wait for another arm and then Carefree sent wrong arms! Finally got installed in October. The model is Longitude- it's not on their website as it is only for manufacturers. Compared to the Travelr model that was on our previous Jayco it is a flimsy piece of junk!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #54

Good post Fingerlakes!
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #55

For those that requested:
First, here are pictures of my set up. Like I said before, you could probably duplicate this yourself if you're handy with aluminum, but it was too easy to purchase them from the guy that invented, and still makes them. He does not make the telescoping poles anymore, which I admit are very awesome, but does still make the brackets. Once poles are attached, they self store to the awning arm. You can choose to use them, or not use them. They do not interfere with the awning function at all. You can unpin them, then run the awning out, run the awning out, then unpin and scope them down, etc etc. It's hard to explain the geometry, or engineering in the set up, but I can assure you, it works, and works well. The awning you see in the picture, which has had the poles installed since new, has been in 30 kt plus winds, rain, etc, and you see what it still looks like. No worries. So, here's the pictures:

1) This is the upper bracket with pole in stored position. On a dometic, it utilizes the bolt that secures the roller assembly to secure the bracket, then you can drill the second hole to better secure if you like. You can bolt what ever pole you like to this bracket. You can also see the tab with the hole, which is where the ratchet strap secures to.
2) More of the upper bracket. Telescoping pole in stored position.
3) Lower bracket with pole in stored position.
4) Lower bracket by itself. This small bracket is installed by drilling 2 holes and pop riveting it to the awning arm.
5) And, this is the whole contraption in use today, 20 kt winds plus. Solid as can be.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6292.jpg   IMG_6294.jpg   IMG_6291.jpg   IMG_6296.jpg   IMG_6297.jpg  

Old 03-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #56

So, here's what the guy supplies and the cost:
Awning Pole Bracket Kit:
-(2) SS Upper Pole Attaching Brackets
-(2) SS Pole Pivot Bolts & SS Nyloc Nuts
-(2) Hitch Pins
-(2) Lower Stow Brackets
-(4) Pop Rivets (For Lower Brackets)
-(2) 1/4" x 3/4" SS Bolts & SS Nyloc Nuts for Optional Bolts for The Upper Brackets
-Instructions and Pole Dwg Sketch

He sells this kits for $85 which includes USPS Priority Mail Shipping to your door. He accepts PayPal only.

Now, if I wanted enough of them, or requested enough of them, I can get them cheaper. I can also get them a lot cheaper if you take out the rivets and bolts.

Note, the ones in the pictures I posted have been painted. They ship raw aluminum, but still look really great.

If anybody is interested, send me a PM. I get nothing out of this. I'm just passing along information. If for some reason you are close enough to Pine Prairie, LA or Florien, LA, give me a shout. I have a brand new set in the box I'd be willing to try on a Carefree awning.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #57

BigJohnD
Whenever I get my rig back I will look at the carefree awning and see if this will work on that. My TT had the one in your pic and for anyone having that type I would buy those brackets in a heartbeat. Anyone with the carefree longitude please look and see if will fit and post

Tks
Rock
Old 04-28-2016, 06:13 AM   #58

Just seeing this thread.. The awning on my new 2016 jayflight doesn't look to sturdy.
I destroyed an awning last year on my 2005 sunnybrook. I went out for a wedding rehearsal dinner not knowing it was going to dump 3" rain in a couple hours. As I got back to my camper I noticed it was dark and thought to myself, I thought I left the exterior lights on. Once I pulled up I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The awning was destroyed. Tube bent, fabric ripped. I was sick. I'll never do that again. It will always be rolled up, even if I have to run down the street to the store.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2381.JPG  
Old 04-28-2016, 06:27 AM   #59

BigJohnD
The brackets for the dometic will not fit on the carefree. I am making a support bracket out of a 2x6 cut in to fit the counties of the roller. This will than be connected to that good adjustable pole sold in Home Depot. This way I can keep the awnings angled for rain water and tied down tight against the poles. The carefree support arms are to flimsy for a bracket and under the roller is the best solution. Anyone with the dometic should get the set up u use.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #60

Just a word on Jayco warranty. Components are covered by the component manufacturer not Jayco. My awning is Dometic. LED light strip became wavy. Dometic replaced it and said it wouldn't happen again as the changed the material. Well it happened again, still under warranty. Dometic's position: they will only pay for it once so I had to eat the charge.
esacnj is offline   Reply With Quote