Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

Angry 2016 North Point Leaf Spring Problem

We have a 2016 North Point 341RLTS, 40'. Bought it last September. We just took it on our 8th trip. Try to make a long story short.
Coming home yesterday the 5th wheel didn't seem to be pulling straight, stopped looked and all seem ok. Closer to home the back of RV seem to be on yellow line as truck was couple feet away. Pulled into mall parking lot and noticed driver side tires were not aligned. Closer look, had about 8" space between tires and passenger side had a couple inches.
Anyway, noticed driver side rear axle had slipped and moved back about 7". The leaf spring pin was gone, also noticed there was only 5 leafs instead the 6.
Got it home and will install new leaf spring tomorrow.
Please,Please check you axle U bolts for tightness and make sure springs are good and all in place.
Our last 5th wheel also had leaf spring problems but the two rear leaf springs broke at the same time while traveling. Yes, not a good situation.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #2

Thanks for the headsup hammerhead! I'll be checking mine tonight before we leave tomorrow morning.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #3

Update on my original post. After installing the new leaf spring and Ubolts, I retorqued the other U bolts. I felt the other leaf spring center bolts and felt a little loose. To be safe I took my new 5th wheel to a Spring & Suspension business to look at everything. Sure as ****, there were two other leaf spring center bolts loose. After taking tires and U bolts off the leafs were loose and just seperated a little. I had them install all new center bolts and U bolts. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. It could have just as easily all the center bolts sheared off at same time as the left rear one did. Double check leaf springs and the center bolt to make sure all are tight. Going to visit the place where I bought unit to see what can be reimbursed. Not to convinced based on other issues.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote