Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

2016 Northpoint, something you probably don't want to hear

Just giving everyone a heads up. Keep an eye on your so called wood work. I'm talking about(corrected- lower portion of the) cabinets, lower door bottoms, island lower trim etc. I've only had my new unit since Nov. The first thing I noticed was at the lower portion of these items the material started rolling up (like contact paper over cardboard). So I covered the island trim and the lower portion of the doors with clear angle plastic protectors since it was getting awful looking. That seemed to work fine. Now I'm seeing a couple areas in the bathroom lower trim and kitchen lower trim which swelled up from moisture and when I touch it, it just falls apart in my hand. I actually think paper mache is probably stronger than this so called wood being used. I know OSB has to be 10 times better, I'm not joking either. If you haven't seen this issue in your unit yet, believe me if you don't keep everything 100% moisture free, I'm sure you eventually will. I informed my wife no more using a damp mop on the floors. This is first new unit, but around the 9th we've owned and so far this has been the worst. Sorry to say, what a big mistake!
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #2

How can the doors be doing it. Have we been duped?
Snip...
High Gloss Hardwood Hand Rubbed Cabinet Doors

Show some pictures.

I'm sure you have a warranty claim there.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #3

Hey classic, the kitchen cabinet doors may be wood (my bad I meant to say lower portion of cabinets) but believe me the rest is some kind of fiber filled cardboard covered with contact paper. Take a very close look at your main doors unless I got duped and you didn't. I can post some pics of the clear angles i installed on the doors and trim. I had to touch all the bare cardboard areas up with a stain marker then covered them so they look fine by picture. The other damaged from the swelling I dug out and filled with colored filler and it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb but not perfect. In the bathroom and other areas I caulked with clear around the whole floor. Any water touches the edge of that stuff you'll see what I'm talking about. It's just like a lantern wick sucking up fuel. Been working on it non stop since I took delivery. Finally have a appointment Wednesday for the dealer to look at issues only. I'll try to post some pics for you to look at in the next few days when I get caught up.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:24 AM   #4

Ohhhhhhh my! Let us know !!
Ghblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:56 AM   #5

Don't want to sound like a jerk, but, useless without pictures...
If the unit is that new, I would of went to dealer sooner, before your "fixes", but everyone is different
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #6

Here's some pics I currently have. Not best quality it's something for now. One at bottom of kitchen cabinet wood swelling. One in bathroom where wood swelled and fell apart (filled with filler and sealed around bottom to keep you moisture out for now. And the clear protector where I put on everywhere possible to keep finish from rolling up.
Attached Thumbnails
kitchen1.jpg   Bath1.jpg   island1.jpg  
Old 04-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #7

Yup... I just went and had a look at mine. Solid doors, but lumber core stiles and rails of the face frame wrapped. Not what I was expecting.
I ordered mine before they were building them, so I bought without seeing one.
I don't know why I was under the impression that it was all solid wood. Like in the manufacturers videos when they brag about not using lumber core.
It still wouldn't have stopped me from buying it, but this is sure a let down.
Wonder if the Pinnacles got the lumber core treatment too.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #8

I've already had two of the same pieces of cardboard trim come loose. Incredibly flimsy material, held on by construction staples.....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote