Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #1

2016 Pinnacle 36FBTS Generator Prep

Has anyone used the prep to actually install generators into their coach?

If so, what generator did you use? Is there a special version for generator prep?

Who did the install for you? Was it the dealer or someone else. How is everything working for you?

I have no experience at all with generators but we are hoping to full time it in the next couple of years and I would like to equip our fw with generators for doing some boon docking mostly while traveling.

Please add anything else you think I might need to know. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #2

You have the wiring and cabinet for a Cummins Onan Gen set. Most units are set up for a Onan 5500 watt gas unit. Check to make sure you have a transfer switch already installed, it should have been part of gen prep. You also should have switch on your control panel for the generator? The install should be a plug and play set up.
I would have a Cummins Onan dealer do the install, they know more about gen sets than RV dealers in general. 3 year warranty from Onan and they are reliable. I have 400 hours on mine and it easy to do the oil etc myself.
Combine solar and a Onan and boondock, we have 10 days now on this trip in Colorado. Cabelas for a dump and refill water tanks and free camp next to a river! Going to dump tomorrow and refill water and headed to Great Sand Dunes for 3-4 more days of BLM boondocking. We have residential fridge and direct tv etc. Works great for us. I hate plugging in at RV parks
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
You have the wiring and cabinet for a Cummins Onan Gen set. Most units are set up for a Onan 5500 watt gas unit. Check to make sure you have a transfer switch already installed, it should have been part of gen prep. You also should have switch on your control panel for the generator? The install should be a plug and play set up.
I would have a Cummins Onan dealer do the install, they know more about gen sets than RV dealers in general. 3 year warranty from Onan and they are reliable. I have 400 hours on mine and it easy to do the oil etc myself.
Combine solar and a Onan and boondock, we have 10 days now on this trip in Colorado. Cabelas for a dump and refill water tanks and free camp next to a river! Going to dump tomorrow and refill water and headed to Great Sand Dunes for 3-4 more days of BLM boondocking. We have residential fridge and direct tv etc. Works great for us. I hate plugging in at RV parks
That sounds totally awesome!

I know we have the switch on the control panel all wired up. I am not sure where to look for the transfer switch. I see wiring pulled into the front of the coach where the generator would be installed. We have the fuel depot as well.

How noisy are the generators? How often do you have to fill up with gas?

Is there anything that you can't run with this setup? I would imagine air conditioning would be a stretch. How about microwave and electrical appliances such as a water kettle? What kind of money are we talking for the generator and install.

Sounds like you are having blast. Really appreciate you sharing. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #4

I installed an Onan 5500 EVAP myself. It was relatively easy the only things I had u purchase was a ground cable to hard ground the genset to the frame and the exhaust pipe. when I removed the floor from my compartment the cross beams were already drilled with the correct holes so the generator simply slid in. The wiring was all there and Jayco sent me the prints through my dealer since mine was still under warranty. The hardest part was getting the generator into the compartment. Built a platform on wheels the same height as the compartment and was able to slide it in. Good luck. If you are handy and have some mechanical knowledge should be no problem installing. My transfer switch is being the basement compartment wall beneath the interior steps

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCraig View Post
I installed an Onan 5500 EVAP myself. It was relatively easy the only things I had u purchase was a ground cable to hard ground the genset to the frame and the exhaust pipe. when I removed the floor from my compartment the cross beams were already drilled with the correct holes so the generator simply slid in. The wiring was all there and Jayco sent me the prints through my dealer since mine was still under warranty. The hardest part was getting the generator into the compartment. Built a platform on wheels the same height as the compartment and was able to slide it in. Good luck. If you are handy and have some mechanical knowledge should be no problem installing. My transfer switch is being the basement compartment wall beneath the interior steps
That is great to hear. I wish I was that talented but I think that would be more than I would want to take on. I am not that handy. I would be more comfortable having a dealer install it than myself. Congrats to you for successfully doing it.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #6

Noise isn't that bad, it meets National Park Service decibel levels. I estimate about a half gallon an hour for fuel.
You have a 50 Amp shore power coach, thus. 5500 watt gen will power anything that shore power will except for altitude. I am currently at 8500 ft so my generator has been limited due to altitude. There is a formula for altitude reduction. We have run 2 AC units at same time, microwave etc. . We use it mainly for microwave and battery charging while boondocking. With a residential fridge and Sat tv running at night we use it to supplement our solar
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Noise isn't that bad, it meets National Park Service decibel levels. I estimate about a half gallon an hour for fuel.
You have a 50 Amp shore power coach, thus. 5500 watt gen will power anything that shore power will except for altitude. I am currently at 8500 ft so my generator has been limited due to altitude. There is a formula for altitude reduction. We have run 2 AC units at same time, microwave etc. . We use it mainly for microwave and battery charging while boondocking. With a residential fridge and Sat tv running at night we use it to supplement our solar
Thanks Loboclone. I appreciate your response. How many hours a day would you say you run the generator? I too would love to add solar but one thing at a time. I think my primary use at least to start would be boon docking while travelling. That would mean stopping at night. Having enough power to run a TV, electric kettle and residential fridge,occasional microwave. If I left the fridge on battery all night, would that run down my batteries? I have two.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #8

Batteries are the key based upon the question.....I run 6 batteries not 2. I bet you have 2 lead/acid cheap RV dealer installed batteries. Test the run time for the fridge on the batteries, getting thru the night running the fridge sounds like a challenge. If that is all you run you can make it work but look at batteries next.
Right now it is 31 degrees in Colorado Mountians, furnace running, fridge, tv was on in bedroom, sat tv receiver, smoke alarm, and co2. A lot of drain on system all night. Inverter alarm went off at 11.1 volts at 7 am, no big deal. Just started the generator, put coffee on lights and fireplace to take the chill off living room.
Run time depends on what your doing, she needs hair dryer soon. Leave it on I guess. My 6 AGM batteries need at least an hour to charge in AM. I use AGM because I have now way to maintaining lead acid units in my battery racks. Way to tight a space. Lithium would be my choice but cost prohibitive right now.
My solar is now working a little based on my solar charger right now, if I was staying here I would shut the generator down right now, moving soon so we leave it on.
Also while driving your charge line to the F/W from truck is charging the batteries also. Having retired from RV sales I have seen it all for electrical management. Again based on what has been discussed batteries in your case need to be looked at. Where I worked we installed cheapest battery we could find, all the Pinnacles had 2 batteries when they left our lot.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Batteries are the key based upon the question.....I run 6 batteries not 2. I bet you have 2 lead/acid cheap RV dealer installed batteries. Test the run time for the fridge on the batteries, getting thru the night running the fridge sounds like a challenge. If that is all you run you can make it work but look at batteries next.
Right now it is 31 degrees in Colorado Mountians, furnace running, fridge, tv was on in bedroom, sat tv receiver, smoke alarm, and co2. A lot of drain on system all night. Inverter alarm went off at 11.1 volts at 7 am, no big deal. Just started the generator, put coffee on lights and fireplace to take the chill off living room.
Run time depends on what your doing, she needs hair dryer soon. Leave it on I guess. My 6 AGM batteries need at least an hour to charge in AM. I use AGM because I have now way to maintaining lead acid units in my battery racks. Way to tight a space. Lithium would be my choice but cost prohibitive right now.
My solar is now working a little based on my solar charger right now, if I was staying here I would shut the generator down right now, moving soon so we leave it on.
Also while driving your charge line to the F/W from truck is charging the batteries also. Having retired from RV sales I have seen it all for electrical management. Again based on what has been discussed batteries in your case need to be looked at. Where I worked we installed cheapest battery we could find, all the Pinnacles had 2 batteries when they left our lot.
Wow, thanks loboclone. Your advice is invaluable. I am sure you are right about my batteries. They were installed by the dealer. I do have another rack above where my batteries are installed. I am not sure how I would do 6 batteries but that is an appealing idea. Replacing my two batteries with 4 AGM batteries might be the best first step for me. Is that something I could do myself or would it be better for RV service to do it? Is any brand better than another? Again thanks so much for your advice.

Tags
generator, pinnacle 36 fbts