Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #1

2016 Pinnacle 36FBTS Hydraulic slide abruptly stops

My wife is cleaning the Pinnacle getting for ready for our next trip. We are experiencing an issue on the dining side ( hydraulic) slide.

Whether we use the switch in the control panel or the remote to bring in the slide, it abruptly stops. I am able to get it to resume coming in by letting my finger off of the switch / remote and then reapplying pressure.

The last time we brought it in it stopped twice. Each time it stops, we hear a clicking in the fuse panel.

Has anyone experienced this issue. We are going away for 17 days at the end of next week. I am concerned it may fail while we are away. I would appreciate hearing anyone's experiences.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #2

#1 it's not hydraulic, JAYCO only uses elec. Sounds like something is causing it to bind slightly. Are you level, front to back and side to side.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
#1 it's not hydraulic, JAYCO only uses elec. Sounds like something is causing it to bind slightly. Are you level, front to back and side to side.
Yes, Grumpy, absolutely level, both sides. It stops, there is a clicking sound in the fuse panel. I start the process again and it continues. It has stopped twice while bringing it in. I have so far been able to get it in.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:26 PM   #4

2nd question are you on shore power? If not could be a low battery, they require fully charged battery to function as well.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
2nd question are you on shore power? If not could be a low battery, they require fully charged battery to function as well.
Yea, on shore power. Good question for sure.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #6

The clicking makes me think of an auto resetting 12 volt circuit breaker. Gets hot and trips, but then resets with a click and you can use it again.

On our old travel trailer, we had this happen with the slides. I know the Jayco is electric. On our old TT, the circuit breaker went to the hydraulic pump for the slides. It got hot and would trip, then reset after a few seconds. Went from once per slide cycle to several times. I replaced it and had no more issues. Was like $7 at the auto parts store. I have read that once they start tripping, they get weaker and weaker....
Old 06-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
The clicking makes me think of an auto resetting 12 volt circuit breaker. Gets hot and trips, but then resets with a click and you can use it again.

On our old travel trailer, we had this happen with the slides. I know the Jayco is electric. On our old TT, the circuit breaker went to the hydraulic pump for the slides. It got hot and would trip, then reset after a few seconds. Went from once per slide cycle to several times. I replaced it and had no more issues. Was like $7 at the auto parts store. I have read that once they start tripping, they get weaker and weaker....
Thanks RSDay75. I think it is something like that. I sent an email to our RV Service folks. They mentioned in their response that it could be an undersized breaker for that circuit. Apparently, they just received a recall notice from Jayco. He was going to check if my vin# was on the recall list.

Was it difficult to replace the breaker yourself? Did it take very long to do? Our dealer is about 65 miles away so I am doing my best to limit the number of trips we make.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #8

Took about 10 minutes to change. Most of that was getting the circuit breaker loose from the frame of the TT. It is a small thing, but our was mounted outside under the TT frame, and the selftapping screws had rusted pretty good. Actually changing the breaker is 2 nuts. Doesn't matter which way it goes. That part was less than a minute.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
Took about 10 minutes to change. Most of that was getting the circuit breaker loose from the frame of the TT. It is a small thing, but our was mounted outside under the TT frame, and the selftapping screws had rusted pretty good. Actually changing the breaker is 2 nuts. Doesn't matter which way it goes. That part was less than a minute.
Thank RSDay75. So it would probably be a matter of identifying the circuit. Locating a new breaker that would work in our fw, removing the old one. Installing the new.

I will wait to hear back from our RV Service people to see what they advise.

Will keep everyone posted.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #10

Auto Reset 20 amp breaker blade type

I looked in the fuse box. The breaker for the troublesome slide is an Auto Reset 20 amp breaker blade type.

I talked to the RV Service. They said that is likely the culprit. It is probably going bad. I would rather not make the 65 mile drive for them to pull the breaker out and replace it.

They indicated I could find it at an auto store.

Well, so far, I have not been able to locate this kind of a breaker at the couple of local Auto stores I have called.

Also, I am a little intimidated about pulling it out. I am not sure how much force to use and the right tool to use to do it.

Has anyone replaced this kind of breaker before? If so, any insights on where I could find one that matches what we have in our fuse box would be appreciated. Also, what tools did you use? How much force did you apply?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #11

They are usually hanging with the fuses in an Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys and O Rielly's. Pull it out with your fingers or pliers.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
They are usually hanging with the fuses in an Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys and O Rielly's. Pull it out with your fingers or pliers.
Thanks Grumpy. I appreciate the advice.

Tags
hydraulic slide, pinnacle 36fbts