Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2015, 12:46 AM   #1

23.5rbs owners please give feedback

Hi guys,

My wife and I (along with the dog) are looking for our first trailer. We've done a lot of looking and our budget is around 30kish and we are pulling with a 1 ton diesel.

We have found we like outdoors mfg, northwoods, and jayco. We do like the cougar 244 but the bathroom setup is funky, as it is with many of the shorter 5ers.

We think we found everything we like in the Jayco 23.5rbs; a normal bathroom (the distance from bedroom doesn't bother us), nice finishes inside and out. My question is are there any things I'm missing and how has service and resale been on Jayco products in your experience?

Thanks
redwhitenblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #2

We have had our 23.5 RBS for a while now and have enjoyed it. However, it did have a couple of problems. First the front cap paint faded about a year into our ownership. Jayco covered the repaint of the cap under warranty. Apparently this is a problem with the units with a dark front cap. The body shop that performed the repaint provided a five-year warranty. Our unit had a dark gray cap and light gray walls. I believe that the HT's are brown and tan now. Maybe the gray paint had problems?

Second, after about 6,000 miles, one of the rear leaf springs lost its spring. I am currently in the process of trying to have the spring(s) repaired under warranty. Apparently not an uncommon problem, as I see a lot of manufacturers of replacement springs on the internet.

It pulls well with my F-150 short bed and Revolution/Sidewinder pinbox that was installed at the factory.

As with any TT, fifth wheel, motor home and even tents, there are things I would change. My main pet peeve is the location of the control panel and light switches. I am 5'8" and I can barely reach the switches, let alone see the labels on the buttons above my head in a poorly lit area. Maybe the newer units have had the control panel relocated to provide better access? I may install a switch on the door so that when it opens a small wattage light illuminates the control panel.

I was also thinking about putting a powered vent in the bedroom, but when I took the vent trim out I could not find any wiring to connect the vent.

The outdoor cook area is kind of a waste of space and would have much more preferred additional storage. We have used the 2-burner cooktop to cook bacon and fish, things that you probably don't want to cook inside. Have not used the sink at all.

A bathroom that is 6" deeper would make a significant improvement, but it is not an overly small bathroom to start with. A small window in the back of the bathroom would also be a good amenity.

No unit is perfect. The overall fit and finish was good, bit I had to make a couple of adjustment on door hinges and clasps to level then out and keep them closed. I would but the unit again. Living in Florida, we opted for the larger A/C and have not regretted the decision, well worth the extra money if you camp in hot humid areas.

I would opt for the spare tire as well.
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote