Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

26.5 RLS and F-150

We're homing in on our first RV, of which I highly favor a new Eagle HT 26.5 RLS Fifth. Our TV is a new 2012 F-150, max tow, HD payload, 6.5 box.
One salesman at the local dealer was firm in his opinion that a conventional hitch was the way to go - backing would not be an issue with the shorter box. Another salesperson (same dealer) advised that we would have to get a slider. Anyone with real experience with this?
If there will be clearance issues, are pin extenders (pop-up, revolution, sidewinder) a viable option? I know we can special order with, I think, the Revolution installed. But, there is this 2012 on the lot without that we can get a good deal on...
Will there be warrenty issues if we go with an aftermarket? Anyone have comments on tailgate clearance (I've read that it can be an issue sometimes with the extenders)?
Or, if I have to go with a slider, are there recommendations? I'd love a hitch that one person can wrestle out of the truck when not needed, and that would leave a bed with no rails - but realize that that may not be possible with a slider.
Any real world weights on this fifth? With that TV I know I am limited in the pin weight, and the Jayco light seems to be within the safe range, but I'd appreciate knowing what ready to hit-the-road weights might be expected.
Finally - any comments on cold weather use? While we won't be camping in February here in Minnesota, we very well may be doing future travel in the early/late seasons to areas that carry a risk of below freezing cold weather - Yellowstone in late Sept, or similar. Comments on suitability would be appreciated.
Flapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #2

We have the Eagle HT 23.5 and TV is 2010 Ram 1500 with HEMI. Tows great, no problem there. I didn't know anything about hitches but our dealer recommended a slider hitch (we have the same size box, 6.5) and I went with the Pullrite Superglide 2700 http://www.pullrite.com/isr_2700.htm and have NO regret. It works perfectly. The only draw back is you have to hitch and un-hitch at a 10 degree maximum but it's never been a problem.
Our Eagle weight in the manual 5975 lbs, at the dealer with options: 6535lbs and on the scales 6800 +~ so in your case, I would think that adding an extra 1000 lbs to the published (manual) weights should be safe around 7845 lbs
the pin weight on our's (published) is 1160 lbs, at the scales (if I did this right) turns out close to 1400 lbs ( but I'm not convinced this is correct as we had to re-weigh 3 times because I had a hard time lining up on the scale between the lines) need to go back and re-weigh again.
Cold weather camping, have no idea but going on Thanksgiving near Watertown. it dropped down to 4 degrees (celcius) the other day and furnace kicked in and kept us cozy but not cold enough to freeze.
Very happy with the unit other than a few warranty items which need to be addressed soon.
keep us posted.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #3

We have a 26.5 RLS and had a slider from the last two trucks, we just keep swapping them out, and I would suggest that you go with a slider. Ours is a Reese 15,000 with 3,750 hitch weight and is in two pieces, the plate sits on two "cradles" that had ping running over the grooves to lock it in and then there is the base which is held in with four more pins. It isn't hard to take apart and get out of the truck with this set-up. Our hitch weight was listed in the brouchure as 6,695 pounds, but the tag on the FW says 7,272 with full propane tanks. I would be inclined to believe the 7,272. Haven't weighed the hitch, not real sure how to do, but on our new GMC 2500HD D/A combo, crew-cab, short bed, I measure the sag when attaching the FW and retracting the landing gear and the fender well only dropped by 1" so I guess the hitch isn't too heavy. I think your truck can pull it just fine, but you do have to watch out for GVWR with a 1/2 ton truck. Our FW, at the dealer's lot for about six months was discounted to us at about a 30% off MSRP deal. This brought the price to about $2,000 over what I could have bought it for at RVConnection in the town where Jaycos are built. Figuring how much it would have cost me to drive from Wyoming to Indiana, and back with the FW, it was a deal good enough for us to take. One thing I would suggest you take a close look at is the wardrobe slide in the bedroom. We had a difficult time getting it to work properly, had to take it back to the dealer three times to get it fixed, finally. Seems there was a problem getting the little electric motors to sync so the slide would work properly. Since we got it fixed, over four trips and numerous times in and out here at home, we haven't had a problem, just telling you about our experience. Good luck with your purchase, I think you will enjoy the FW, I know we have so far.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, Flapper. Good luck with the new rig.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #5

We currently tow the same trailer (2012 26.5 RLS) with my GM Sierra 1500 with a 6.0 engine. No problems so far and seems to tow pretty well. I have the short-bed truck (6.6 ft) and we bought a Reese 16K manual slider. Have not used the slider yet and plan to avoid ever having to use it. Tried it at the dealer's a couple of times and it worked okay but seemed to be a pain to get out and manually move it. I do like the idea of having it as an option and would definitely suggest a slider in that bed. Comes apart in two pieces - a little bit heavy but certainly manageable. Then I am still able to use the bed of the truck with just the rails sticking up about an inch. Our sticker on the 26.5 RLS shows a weight of 7,200.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #6

I know it's kind of a pain to get out of the truck and move the lever so the hitch will slide back and then lock it before tearing up the side of your FW and the back end of the truck, but it seems to me to be worth it in the long run. It only takes about a minute or so to get out, move the lever and then relock it after the hitch has moved back and then about a minute more to reset it when you are done. I haven't had to use mine with the new 26.5 RLS but did with my 1993 Eagle flat front FW. There will probably be a day when I want to use it, and, I will have it to use.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #7

I have a Reese Revolution on my 2011 Eagle Superlite RKS. It works great with my shortbox truck. I have a 16K Reese swivel hitch in the back of my truck and pull a boat behind my trailer. I never need to worry about hitting my truck or hurting my trailer. The Resse Revolution was made specifically for shortbox trucks. We are back country dry campers and never get a good easy campsite to pull into. It works very good.
2003 F250 Super Crew Power Stroke 4x4
2014 Lund 1800 Tyee 175 Merc Verado 9.9 Pro Kicker
Dukedog is offline   Reply With Quote