Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #1

28.5 rsts Air Conditioning issues/questions

Our first Jayco, a 2006 291 rlts had a single, 15,000 BTU a/c unit that kept us comfortable as long as we owned it, in all temps including hi-desert, in excess of 110 degrees as well as Pensacola 100 percent humidity AND 100 degree temps. Our new unit is a 2017 rsts HT model. It also has a single a/c unit but is only 13,500 BTU's.
The new Jayco is substantially smaller than the old and seemingly better built (time will tell on this).
My concern is on the A/C unit itself. We just spent a few days in Bishop (CA) where the temps were warm but not near as hot as other trips. The highs were just past the century mark. The interior temp stayed north of 85 ALL day long, only cooling down well into the evening, around 10 or 10:30 PM. This was even when we were in town all or most of the day.
Additionally, there only seems to be one air-supply speed, not 'high and low', as we had in the old unit and as shown in the t-stat.
Is there that much difference between the 15k unit and the 13.5k unit? Is my unit "stuck" in "low" mode?
Our traveling companions have a Salem, by Forest River. Their TT stayed cooler than ours, but the noise from their direct supply (non-ducted) unit was deafening.
ALL of the repair facilities within 100 miles is us are booked up for a month or more. I was hoping to get some advise or input from here. This was our first trip in warmer weather.

Thanks.
Mike
Newt5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

I have a 2016 28.5 rsts and I have 2 15k units on mines. I can't believe a dealer would order a single 13.5k unit on a trailer of that size. Your trailer is over 30 ft. with 3 slides. One 15k unit is borderline but a single 13.5 is ludicrous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clarche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #3

Swap out the 13.5 for a 15 and add a second 15. No RV should be sold with only one ac unit unless it's a tiny unit. I preach this all the time. Always always get the 15 btu and the 2nd unit and if available the 3rd ac unit. Also dual pane windows help as well. You can never have too much air conditioning. Unfortunately it costs a lot more money to add it later than to have it on the build sheet or already done on the lot. I know when we factory ordered our unit it was only 832.00 for the 2nd air and that included the wall thermostat.
Our 2017 293 35' 4" with 2 slides and dual pane windows with twin 15k ac units has no troubles with high humidity 90%+ and 90's temps. Even when the trailer is 99*F it doesn't take those babies long to pull the temp down to 70*F. That's sitting in full sun with no trees in sight. No slide out covers and not using the awning. That's even with the oven on, a crock pot going and one stove buner going.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarche View Post
One 15k unit is borderline but a single 13.5 is ludicrous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree fully! Only a couple dollars different in price.

Earl
Old 07-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #5

Great timing for this thread! We picked up our 2018 Eagle HT 28.5RSTS a week ago and just went through a hot and humid stretch of 90-93 degrees. We debated on a 2nd unit but didn't get it (dumb, I know). We have one 15K AC but had the trailer pre-wired for the 2nd AC and with a 50 amp service. During the hot stretch the trailer and bedroom was much cooler than without but my wife could sleep on a block of ice so my guess is she will want me to add the 2nd 15K AC. As it is said 'if momma ain't happy no body is happy.'

I have replaced an AC in a previous RV so know it is a pretty easy job. Could someone who has the 2nd 15K AC in the bedroom please let me know what the model number is. I want to make sure I buy one that can be connected to the existing ducting like the factory does. Thanks in advance.
DNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #6

Our 17 RSTS has one 15k unit. It barely keeps it cool inside when in the mid to upper 90s, especially when the afternoon sun is hitting the back and side of the camper with all the windows. The windows just radiate heat! I have to pull all of the shades which provides some insulation and keeps the sun out, which helps a lot.

15k a/c should be standard.
videoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelson View Post
Could someone who has the 2nd 15K AC in the bedroom please let me know what the model number is. I want to make sure I buy one that can be connected to the existing ducting like the factory does. Thanks in advance.

Any Coleman will connect to the ducted system the ceiling assembly is what makes the difference. They are sold as seperate pieces.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:53 AM   #8

I was kinda surprised when we got our larger fifth wheel.

Our old fiver was a 24ft and not all season (very little insulation). So, on 100F days the 13k AC would barely keep up.

We got the dual 15k AC in our current fiver and am glad we did. In southern NM the temps were over 105F and no trees. Both AC units running kept the interior in the mid 80's but that was the best they could manage. Can't imagine what it would have been like with a single AC.

Having said all that, you might want to check to make sure your system and the ducting are intact. Check each vent to make sure you have good airflow. I have heard of people whose ducts had come apart, blowing cold air into the roof. Not sure how to do that other than pulling each vent to check.

Also, our 15k AC had two speeds on the thermostat. Our 13k AC also had two speeds. Not sure which model you have so can't say if yours is a single speed or not.

Last, the second AC on ours is over the bedroom, and it is loud, but, it works really well
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt5005 View Post
Our first Jayco, a 2006 291 rlts had a single, 15,000 BTU a/c unit that kept us comfortable as long as we owned it, in all temps including hi-desert, in excess of 110 degrees as well as Pensacola 100 percent humidity AND 100 degree temps. Our new unit is a 2017 rsts HT model. It also has a single a/c unit but is only 13,500 BTU's.
The new Jayco is substantially smaller than the old and seemingly better built (time will tell on this).
My concern is on the A/C unit itself. We just spent a few days in Bishop (CA) where the temps were warm but not near as hot as other trips. The highs were just past the century mark. The interior temp stayed north of 85 ALL day long, only cooling down well into the evening, around 10 or 10:30 PM. This was even when we were in town all or most of the day.
Additionally, there only seems to be one air-supply speed, not 'high and low', as we had in the old unit and as shown in the t-stat.
Is there that much difference between the 15k unit and the 13.5k unit? Is my unit "stuck" in "low" mode?
Our traveling companions have a Salem, by Forest River. Their TT stayed cooler than ours, but the noise from their direct supply (non-ducted) unit was deafening.
ALL of the repair facilities within 100 miles is us are booked up for a month or more. I was hoping to get some advise or input from here. This was our first trip in warmer weather.

Thanks.
Mike
I have the same trailer but with a single 15k unit. If the trailer is sitting in the direct sun and it is only 85 degrees out my single unit can't keep it cooled. If the trailer is in the shade or part shade and 85 seems to work ok. I am also prewired for a second unit.
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:18 PM   #10

If you add a 2nd AC unit and run them both at the same time don't you need to be plugged into a 50 amp service?
Old 07-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #11

Yes.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorpie View Post
If you add a 2nd AC unit and run them both at the same time don't you need to be plugged into a 50 amp service?
The micro-air soft-start for RV air conditioners specifically states that you can run (2) 15,000 BTU on a 30 amp service.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelson View Post
Great timing for this thread! We picked up our 2018 Eagle HT 28.5RSTS a week ago and just went through a hot and humid stretch of 90-93 degrees. We debated on a 2nd unit but didn't get it (dumb, I know). We have one 15K AC but had the trailer pre-wired for the 2nd AC and with a 50 amp service. During the hot stretch the trailer and bedroom was much cooler than without but my wife could sleep on a block of ice so my guess is she will want me to add the 2nd 15K AC. As it is said 'if momma ain't happy no body is happy.'

I have replaced an AC in a previous RV so know it is a pretty easy job. Could someone who has the 2nd 15K AC in the bedroom please let me know what the model number is. I want to make sure I buy one that can be connected to the existing ducting like the factory does. Thanks in advance.
Being from TEXAS, we know what HOT is. When we bought our 2018 28.5 RSTS we ordered from the factory with 50A service and dual 15K AC (ducted) units. Being in Oregon, we've only had to use one of them so far but the general rule of thumb here is "it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". FWIW - we opted for the dual pane windows and slideout covers to help with the heat.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
Being from TEXAS, we know what HOT is. When we bought our 2018 28.5 RSTS we ordered from the factory with 50A service and dual 15K AC (ducted) units. Being in Oregon, we've only had to use one of them so far but the general rule of thumb here is "it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". FWIW - we opted for the dual pane windows and slideout covers to help with the heat.
Is your front 15K unit a full size. I guess I mean is it the same height as the back unit or is it a lower profile one? I am thinking of adding a second unit to mine and didn't know if I should go with the 13.5K or 15K for height issue's. I have the 2017 28.5 RSTS.
Thanks.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Is your front 15K unit a full size. I guess I mean is it the same height as the back unit or is it a lower profile one? I am thinking of adding a second unit to mine and didn't know if I should go with the 13.5K or 15K for height issue's. I have the 2017 28.5 RSTS.
Thanks.
Unfortunately, I haven't walked the roof yet to see what's going on up there. My assumption is it's the same, black, Dometic 15K AC unit on both ends. I believe they're low profile AC's (not heat pump) to keep the height to a minimum. If I remember correctly, my 5'r is supposed to be about 12' high but I have to measure to know first hand.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks.
13.5 and 15 are the same size units. Both are available in low profile that are about half the height.

Earl
Old 07-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #17

Both of our A/C's are 15k std height Coleman units (Airxcel). And, yes, you can get low profile units in both sizes.

Most installed A/C's are std height even if they do not have a heat pump.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:08 AM   #18

How do you know if you have a 13.5K or 15K if they are the same size?
Old 07-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Yes.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
How do you know if you have a 13.5K or 15K if they are the same size?
By the model number on the unit itself. You can't tell a 13.5 from at 15 by looking at them. Only by model number. Same as the low profile units.

Earl