Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

29.5BHOK and 2000 F350 Short Bed

We have on order a 29.5BHOK and it will hopefully be in by the end of April. It will be pulling it with a 2000 F350 with a short bed. I have a couple of questions as this our first 5th wheel. 1) Type of hitch, been looking at auto sliding or manual slider hitch. I'd like to have the option of sliding the hitch for a tight maneuver, but will I have a constant clearance issue to warrant the auto slide, I've read they are very convenient but am not sure it will be needed. 2) What are peoples thought on air bags, I'm not expecting an issue with the truck sagging do to the weight, but am more curious if people fine them helpful in getting the truck set right and handle the best. Thanks
sean_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

cant speak for your ford but I have a 2000 dodge 2500 towing a 32 foot 5th wheel and do not need the air bags at all. truck rides a lot nicer with the 5th wheel hooked up and matches up fine without any additional leveling required.i opted not to get a slider(have a short bed also) and find I do not need it. backing into sites I have not gotten close to hitting the cab but am careful to make sure I don't as it would be expensive. also I remove the hitch quite often and like the lighter non sliding hitch.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #3

My setup is in my signature.

I pulled our old fifth with a 2004 F-350. Airbags not needed. It will handle just fine without them.

Slider is all preference and depends on where you go and how you camp. If you always use pull through type sites in big campgrounds, you'll likely be ok without one. If you camp like us and end up in really tight maneuvering spots, then you'll need one.

Auto vs manual slide is preference as well. No one ever comes on a forum saying that they busted out their back window because their auto slide didn't slide. You do however see that with fixed hitches when they thought there was adequate clearance and manual slides when they thought they didn't need to. I'd be the guy that would forget to slide it, so I went with a pullrite auto slider. Been using it for 10 years with no issues in both of my trucks.