Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

2nd Awning

Well my wife and I are just about ready to 'pull the trigger ' on a 2012 Jayco 5TH 28.5RLS.We are purchasing from Indiana r.v connection. My question is should i have the dealer install a 2nd awning over the slideout to prevent debris build-up. In my reseach i see some carry a ladder for just that problem.This will be our 1st new trailer and are very excited but we also want to make our travelling as easy as possible. Thanks for all the great info.
BENNY THE DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Site Team

There are mixed opinions on slideout awnings. Some like them others don't. I like them and have had them on the last 3 rigs. On my newest Jayco, I do not like they way they are installed. They do not seem to have enough angle to allow water to run off and tend to catch and hold water in them.

The main reason I like them is they keep debris from the top of the slide and prevent me from having to climb on the roof or a tall ladder every time I break camp. Most dealers will install them for about $300-400 or so per slide. I would ask if they can be installed so they do not have the problem I tried to explain above.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #3

The answer is Yes. You most definitely want awnings over your slideouts unless you want to climb on top of your RV everytime you let your slides in to sweep them off. I would not have it any other way. I had a RV years ago that did not have them, it's a option well worth the money.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #4

Yes, yes
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #5

The next unit will have them.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #6

I really don't want to listen to them when the wind blows so that is one of the few options we didn't get. My brother in law has them and has had to bring the slides in so they could sleep on several occasions. The wind blows a lot in the desert so we didn't want them. If we camped mostly in the forest then they would be nice to have.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #7

If you get them, Try to have the material made of canvas and not the vinyl material that most use. The vinyl rips and tears easy and if you are in wind conditions most of the time like in the desert they won't last very long. I had to have mine replaced because of wear and tear from flapping in the wind and the hot desert sun. I replaced the vinyl on mine with a awning canvas called (sunbrella). Most awning shops carry it. Comes in nice colors and patterns too. Much better than the vinyl impregnated cloth that they use from the factory or after market replacements. I replaced mine myself, Not that hard.
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #8

Hiya Benny and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum! I wish we had that slide topper. We don't though. One of us climb up to the roof and check for debri or wipe off moisture. I know some complain of flapping noise in wind, but there are options to keep that noise from happened. Congrats on the new Jayco
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote