Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

31.5RLDS, need opinions please

I'm new to the forum and in need of some opinions from 31.5RLDS owners. I have been researching different brands for a specific floorplan; Laredo, Elk Ridge, Sundance, and also Jayco. The 31.5 is similar with the rear living and enclosed bathroom. I am looking at a few different years (11,12,13). The 12 and 13 are new. I would appreciate greatly hearing from you who do own or have owned the 31.5. I cannot find much information on the construction details. Other than "Super Lite" (weight) what do they cut corners on to save weight? I want to hear "the good, the bad, and the ugly". Initial quality, as well as any problems down the road. I would also be interested in those who bought Jayco but do not have a local dealer. We will likely be purchasing out of town or state. If you have the time details would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #2

This thread is not the exact same model as you are wanting information on but it is the "SuperLite" line. This might answer some of your questions.

31-5-RLTS
Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the thread, it is similar. Unfortunately the comments are not very re-assuring regarding the current state of the Jayco quality. But unfortunately I have seen the same in the Keystone line, (similar floorplan). I recently looked at a new Laredo and was amazed at the lack of quality workmanship. I asked the salesman if they do factory QC and he said they expect the dealer to be the point of QC, and that is not done until the customer does the PDI. Seems crazy to let the customer see the poor workmanship on the visible area's. Makes one wonder what is hidden beneath the skin.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #4

We have a 2011 31.5 RLDS Super-Lite and love it.

Previously we had a Keystone Outback toy hauler. I personally find the quality level of both to be very similar, and generally good for the money paid. If I had to rate I would put the Jayco at a marginally better quality than the specific Outback that I had.

After owning the RLDS for 2 years now I think that I have an idea of the difference between the "Eagle" and "Eagle super Lite". Yes it is about weight, but mostly the non-superlite seems to be made more for full timing and going off the grid more. It has larger holding tanks than the lite version.

Part of me wishes that we had bought the heavier version. We have to dump the tanks every 2 days (grey water because of showering) - this is no problem if you are in a campground with sewer hookups, but most state Parks don't have sewer - and you will not find me dragging a wagon full of my own poop to the dump station in a park - so we generally skip the State Parks which are often the nicest spot in a given location. May not be a problem if you don't mind showering in the bath house.

If you intend on always using parks with sewer hookups - not a problem at all.

We absolutely love the floorplan - many campgrounds are older and we can get in where those with 3 or 4 slides can't fit. If I upgraded today to a larger or more full time camper I would still want this floor plan. A minor quibble is I wish that it had a King Size bed.

FYI - if you get one make sure that it has the double insulated window option. In cold weather ours cools off very quickly after the heater shuts off. I think that on the non-lite version there may also be an option for better insulation - which I would like too.

We have not had many problems at all - biggest one is an intermittent pinched wire going to the running lights that causes the fuse in the truck to blow. Only happens when the weight of the trailer is on the truck AND we have gone several miles. Still can't find the problem because it is so intermittent I can't get it to blow when I am going to the dealer. not a deal breaker - this will eventually resolve itself. I have heard of this problem with quite a few campers of all brands & varieties.

We have an excellent dealer 20 miles away - so I can't comment on buying long distance.

Overall this is a LOT of camper to be priced in the low to mid 30's. You would have to pay considerably more to get a noticeable increase in quality. if I was full timing I would consider doing that - but I would buy this camper again without blinking (or the slightly more expensive full weight "Eagle" - now a "Premier" I think).
SouthRider is offline   Reply With Quote