Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #1

33.5 rets fifth wheel

anybody own this particular floorplan and have any comments about it? Pros and cons, likes and dislikes; don't hear much about this floorplan on the forum, looking forward to picking mine up next saturday!
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #2

New owners of the Eagle 33.5 RETS

Good morning. We also ordered the 33.5 RETS for 2014. Received ours but have not used yet😡 After lots and lots of looking and comparing, we liked this floor plan most: especially the living room space and couch, as well as the large bathroom. Bonus was when received Jayco included frameless windows, 2 skylights, better cabinet hardware, and a new flooring look. We were very excited to finally have our first 5er and that it was better than expected. Now if our weather would brighten up so we could actually do more than sit in the camper and dream! Hopefully we will both enjoy years with our new rigs!!😃

FireCapt564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCapt564 View Post
Good morning. We also ordered the 33.5 RETS for 2014. Received ours but have not used yet😡 After lots and lots of looking and comparing, we liked this floor plan most: especially the living room space and couch, as well as the large bathroom. Bonus was when received Jayco included frameless windows, 2 skylights, better cabinet hardware, and a new flooring look. We were very excited to finally have our first 5er and that it was better than expected. Now if our weather would brighten up so we could actually do more than sit in the camper and dream! Hopefully we will both enjoy years with our new rigs!!😃
FireCapt564, I do wish mine had the frameless windows, they are very sharp. How did the trailer handle towing? I run a 5.7 Hemi on a 3/4 ton ram. My old 5er was around 9,500 lbs, and I barely noticed it back there. We have a seasonal spot, so we don't move around much at all. Will be about an hour and a half ride home from the dealership, a diesel would be great, but I think the 5.7 will hold it's own. I tow between 50-60 mph, so I'm certainly not breaking any speed records!
Old 03-19-2014, 03:00 AM   #4

bcmmorr,
We have not towed yet, unfortunately, but hope to hit the road very soon. The winter is really dragging our here in northern Illinois! I have been told that towing the 5er versus our former TT will be a noticeable improvement. Here's to hoping this proves true. Thanks for the feedback and inquiry. Happy travels!

FireCapt564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #5

We tow our 33.5RETS with a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9L Diesel engine. Anyone who says you don't know it is back there, well I just don't know. lol It does tow well though and several are using the Hemi gas engine to pull with also. We moved up from a 31 ft TT and also a couple thousand pounds in weight, but we do love it!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #6

Interested to know if any of you picking up your new 33.5RETS experience any problems like I did. Check out my post of the 33.5RETS.
Hope you don't have anywhere near the problems we did. They may have changed their dinette design after we called them. No one could sit at the table next to the doorway entrance, unless they were really small!

Joe Hinson
Old 04-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #7

33.5RETS pick up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmorr View Post
anybody own this particular floorplan and have any comments about it? Pros and cons, likes and dislikes; don't hear much about this floorplan on the forum, looking forward to picking mine up next saturday!
Ok, you should have picked up your new unit now. What is the verdict? Did it pull ok with your HEMI? I know you have it all checked out by now.

Joe Hinson
Old 04-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #8

Brought the new unit home a couple weeks ago, and am really enjoying it! The Hemi did a great job towing it. I was towing into a strong wind as well, it had more than enough power to handle the load. I thought it might have to run some pretty high rpms to get it up to speed, but it never went over 3 thousand, I'm very happy with the truck and towing experience. Everything I've tried thus far works. The furnace is great, and the unit holds heat quite well. Once desired temperature is reached, the furnace does not kick on much, the insulation ratings and thermal pane windows are the real deal. About all that's left to do is try the plumbing system, still getting too cold at night to dewinterize, but temps are slowly improving. Took it to the truck scale to weigh and make some leveling adjustments this morning. All I had to do was go up one notch on fifth wheel hitch for some more bed clearance, and truck and trailer are about perfect level now. 300 pounds more on back trailer axle than front, once we load up the front compartment should be even closer weight wise, so that worked out well. The unit has been great so far, and am looking foward to getting it to the campground soon!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #9

Make sure you check out your hotwater heater on gas and electric. Everything worked perfect on electric but we had gas feed problems everywhere. Had the hoses kinked coming out of the junction box underneath and it had to be re-located. Everything working fine now. Just got back from a week at Cotton Hill Corp of Engineers Campground at Ft. Gaines, GA. Caught loads of catfish and had a big fish fry for our Flint River Sams camping club. Going out again in a couple weeks. We also had a problem sitting at the dining table but Jayco should have figured this out by now. The table was mounted to close to the wall by the door to even sit at the table.

Joe Hinson
Old 04-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #10

I noticed one gas line in particular looks quite kinked coming out of junction box, but I have run every gas item on the trailer and they all burn quite well, so must be ok for now. I like the DSI ignition, everything lights up so smoothly. If Jayco has improved the dining room table, it isn't much of an improvement. I can sit on the wall side, but it's a pretty tight fit; oh well. Ran the oven today for the first time, got the pilot lit and it started with no issues. Let it burn awhile and opened some windows and ran fans. The smell should be pretty well burned out of it now and ready to cook food. Heading to season spot first weekend of may and dewinterizing next weekend, looking forward to the weeks ahead!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

I tow a 11,000 lbs trailer with a Tundra with a 5.7 liter gasser. It does great except on the hills. Then one has to be patient. The tow package handles this heavy TT very well. Heck, the temp gauges on the tranny and oil temp stay the same loaded or not.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmorr View Post
I noticed one gas line in particular looks quite kinked coming out of junction box, but I have run every gas item on the trailer and they all burn quite well, so must be ok for now. I like the DSI ignition, everything lights up so smoothly. If Jayco has improved the dining room table, it isn't much of an improvement. I can sit on the wall side, but it's a pretty tight fit; oh well. Ran the oven today for the first time, got the pilot lit and it started with no issues. Let it burn awhile and opened some windows and ran fans. The smell should be pretty well burned out of it now and ready to cook food. Heading to season spot first weekend of may and dewinterizing next weekend, looking forward to the weeks ahead!
You can move the table easily enough if you choose. There are only 4 wood screws holding it to the floor. Just make sure it stays the same distance from the outside wall. You can move it a few inches towards the fireplace but do not move it enough that it will hit the couch when it closes.

Joe Hinson
Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #13

I just ordered the Coleman Mach digital thermostat to replace the original in our unit. You will find Coleman's analog thermostats can vary widely with the temperature settings. The digital can be set to much lower than 55 degrees as in the original. This can save a lot of propane when monitoring freezing temperatures when you haven't winterized.

Joe Hinson