Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

377 RLBH Water Heater Size

Jayco's website for the North Points lists the water heater as:
"20-gallon-refresh-rate gas/electric auto ignition Atwood water heater", as does my purchase order for the unit.
While installing some vent covers to keep the bugs out, I just noticed the sticker on the water heater panel says it's an Atwood 10 gallon unit.

Before I ping my rep on it, I am wondering what other 377 owners have installed in their unit (open the water heater panel the sticker is on the inside), and also wondering if it's more of a shady marketing thing - is it actually a 10 gallon heater but the "refresh rate" is 20 gallon? If so, I would think it would be more accurate to list it as 20 gallon per hour refresh rate...
freddirkse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #2

I believe it means it can hold 10 gallons of water..but you will get 20 gallons of hot water out of it.
A 20 gallon water tank would be huge and take a lot of heat to heat it up.
Says in the specs that the rig holds x amount of total water.. X gallons plus 10 gallons in the hot water tank
Under "tank capacities" on the Jayco site
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #3

I see what you mean. On the Jayco web site it talks about a 20 gal. refresh rate. However, on the specification sheet I got from the dealer it shows 20 gal. GE hot water tank. Seems like there's a disconnect somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
jayco spec.jpg  
mtdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #4

Yep.. I remember my order sheet saying that now, and I raised an eyebrow. But I already new it was an Atwood 10 gal.
Looks like a bit of a marketing ploy if you never looked at any literature but that sheet before purchasing. Even the salesman can say its a 20 gallon.
They are right in a round about way.
I hate ambiguity

Call them on it.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #5

It's only a 10 gallon VESSEL with a 20 gallon refresh rate. I'll be honest. I have the 375BHFS with that same hot water heater. It's absolutely incredible! I was a bit concerned when the stock shower head didn't come with a shut off valve on it. I gave both my boys a shower one night immediately followed by my shower. Pretty much had one minute between all three showers. I never ran out of hot water. Towards the end of mine I had the cold all the way off, but the water was still perfect for me.

My 6 gallon in our old TT never came close to keeping just me warm. And I used to shut off the water frequently.
nhfire152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfire152 View Post
It's only a 10 gallon VESSEL with a 20 gallon refresh rate. I'll be honest. I have the 375BHFS with that same hot water heater. It's absolutely incredible!
I agree. We've taken quite a few showers back to back now and it's kept up really well. I think I'll leave it alone at this point considering it does work so well and anything bigger would just be taking up more space and weight. Good reminder to keep an eye on the marketing wording on everything!
Old 10-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post
I see what you mean. On the Jayco web site it talks about a 20 gal. refresh rate. However, on the specification sheet I got from the dealer it shows 20 gal. GE hot water tank. Seems like there's a disconnect somewhere.
Hmm, I believe I would call them on this one because of the brand - or at least do some comparison and see if the Atwood is a better quality unit than the GE. I would think so, as the Atwood's are made for RV and marine specifically and run on both electric and propane, which I'm not sure GEs do. It's clear on the Jayco website that it should be an Atwood.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #8

The G/E means gas/electric.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
The G/E means gas/electric.
Ahhhh, well there you go. Silly me.
All said then, it looks like we all have a 10 gallon, but it seems to perform really well so I'm happy.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #10

Remember u can run electric and propane at the same time and hot water will last.
Rock
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote