Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #1

377RLBH Battery Drain

Haven't powered up my generator in about 6 weeks, and finally have some time to do so on Christmas Eve of all times, but found my battery totally dead. The battery's master switch was off, and the leveling jack power center was off as well. My understanding was that all power was killed to the electrical system from the battery with the master battery switch off other than the hot wire to the leveling system. Does anybody have some info as to why the battery would have been drained with those two items off? Would really rather not have to run a power cord out to the RV all winter long, and was hoping to just turn on the battery and power up the generator once a month or so. Any suggestions appreciated!

Did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find what I need, so if this has been addressed, my apologies.

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

I assume (and hate to do that) your trailer is like others in that not ALL electrical drain is prevented with a master switch 'off'. The most likely draw could be a CO/propane detector in addition to the leveling system, but there may be others.

With the switch off, do you know how much drain there is on the battery from the leveling system?

Have you looked around in the unit at night with the master switch off to see if there are any indicator lights visible?

I'm sure you'll hear from others with a trailer like yours with more specific info.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
My understanding was that all power was killed to the electrical system from the battery with the master battery switch off
I'm not sure why the factory installed battery switch doesn't remove all 12V from the unit. Why even install it. I don't have the same trailer as you but I did install a kill switch on the neg battery cable and have no parasitic draw whatsoever. You may have to install another switch at the battery[s] to ensure no draw. Sounds kinda silly but it's an easy and cheap install. Hopefully someone with the same/similar unit can inform you as to another solution.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:15 PM   #4

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post461917

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
Haven't powered up my generator in about 6 weeks, and finally have some time to do so on Christmas Eve of all times, but found my battery totally dead. The battery's master switch was off, and the leveling jack power center was off as well. My understanding was that all power was killed to the electrical system from the battery with the master battery switch off other than the hot wire to the leveling system. Does anybody have some info as to why the battery would have been drained with those two items off? Would really rather not have to run a power cord out to the RV all winter long, and was hoping to just turn on the battery and power up the generator once a month or so. Any suggestions appreciated!

Did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find what I need, so if this has been addressed, my apologies.
I just went to our rig tonight at storage to run the gen for a while and the battery was dead as a doornail as well. It was also dead when I was at the dealership last week and I had it plugged into shore power a good four hours then. The batteries are also brand new. If you figure out what's going on, let me know. I did look in the manual and it said the master battery switch cuts off all power to everything inside the camper (lights, o2 sensor, etc.) the only thing it does not cut power to is the leveling system. Which should not be pulling any power while turned off, unless it's the hitch memory or something.

mjudkins is offline   Reply With Quote