Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #1

377rlbh fresh water tank overflow

So I have been loosing quite a bit of fresh water during travel. While looking under the unit to locate the overflow tube so I can put a valve on it, I noticed there are two different tubes right behind the rear door side tire. There is a smaller maybe 1/2" white tube which I figure is the overflow tube. There is also a black rubber flat sleeve hanging next to the small white tube which when I open it up I see a larger white tube maybe 2". I have not taken down any of the undercoating or cargo walls to chase down the overflow tube yet. I figured someone on here might know what both are for before I go exploring.

Thanks for any input.
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #2

So I crawled around a little and took off an access panel in the under belly and found these two lines. I am thinking the small one is the overflow for the fresh water tank but just don't know about the larger pipe which feeds into the black sleeve. Any ideas?

Guess I will put a cut off valve on the 1/2" pipe and see what happens the next time I travel.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
2017-04-12 20.13.41.jpg   2017-04-12 20.13.50.jpg  
Old 04-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #3

The overflow is the "flat", or soft hose. The PEX is the tank drain. I've heard of tanks developing a siphon going down the road, and loosing up to ⅓ of content through the overflow. What you can do to prevent it is just fold it over and put a paper clamp on it while traveling.... just be SURE to remove it when you fill or start using the tank again, or there will be nowhere for air or overflow water to vent and/or escape, and that could lead to problems.....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:23 AM   #4

Fire,

I know none of the pipes in the picture are the drain. There is a "low point drain" located at the rear of the tank and already has a valve which I can confirm does drain the tank when open. That low point drain is indeed a 1/2" white pipe like the one in the picture just further back on the tank.

The blue PEX pipe i would suspect to be the fill line or the line that goes to the pump to supply the unit for "Dry Camp". You can see it enters the bottom of the tank in the bottom of the picture.

That leaves the 1/2" white pipe and larger (maybe 2") flexible pipe that feeds into the black rubber sleeve.

One thing I have not done is to fill the tank completely full and see which hose the water comes out of with the fill still running. I am thinking it will come out the 1/2" pipe which makes me wonder what the larger flexible pipe is for. Looks like some kind of vent pipe to me.

Thanks for your thoughts and input
Old 04-13-2017, 05:51 AM   #5

I just picked up our Eagle 355MBQS a week ago. It is the slightly smaller cousin of the 377RLBH (same layout just shrunk a little). My fresh water has the same setup, the 2" flat and the 1/2" white. When I sanitized and then filled the fresh, water came out of both when it was full. The drain is a 1/2" white with a valve on it, it is attached to the frame a couple feet away from these 2 lines. Apparently to be used at the 0 degree temp like advertised you can't dry camp. I'll be following this thread, I'm curious what others have to say.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmiddlebrooks View Post
Fire,

I know none of the pipes in the picture are the drain. There is a "low point drain" located at the rear of the tank and already has a valve which I can confirm does drain the tank when open. That low point drain is indeed a 1/2" white pipe like the one in the picture just further back on the tank.

The blue PEX pipe i would suspect to be the fill line or the line that goes to the pump to supply the unit for "Dry Camp". You can see it enters the bottom of the tank in the bottom of the picture.

That leaves the 1/2" white pipe and larger (maybe 2") flexible pipe that feeds into the black rubber sleeve.

One thing I have not done is to fill the tank completely full and see which hose the water comes out of with the fill still running. I am thinking it will come out the 1/2" pipe which makes me wonder what the larger flexible pipe is for. Looks like some kind of vent pipe to me.

Thanks for your thoughts and input
Unfortunately, my 377 is at the shop right now, for some warranty work, si I can't go out and look at it, but you are correct. I do now recall that the tank drain is white, and has its own petcock. So could one be a tank vent and the other an overflow? If so, the flat rubber hose couldn't be the vent, because as soon as the tank started to be drawn from, the suction would pull flat flap closed, and no air would get it. So without having a plumbing diagram, and without pulling off the underbelly liner to look, I would surmise that the black is the overflow and the blue a vent. Does that make sense?

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

So I contacted Jayco and shared the pictures with them. This is what they told me.....

The small white is your vent and the large flex is your overflow. A quick fix for losing that amount of water would be to put a “loop” in the small white line.

They did provide a drawing with the pipe sizes and such. The larger flex hose is 1.38" OD. The drawing did not say what each pipe was for so i will have to take their word on that.

The ultimate fix will probably be to block the water from coming out the overflow while traveling but i will try the loop to see if that will help with the splashing out or "Siphon" effect that might be happening while traveling.

Thanks for all the input and i will update with my findings on my next trip in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
Old 04-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #8

Thank you for the follow up. I was wondering what that flat hose was for

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #9

Put one of these on your black flat hose when traveling - works like a champ!

https://www.amazon.com/ACCO-Binder-C.../dp/B002VD6BLG
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #10

So for an update...

I wanted to try it without the clip (which i know will work) but per Jayco's recommendation which was to put a loop in the overflow vent and not stop or close up the overflow.

Made a 3 hour ride and arrived with a full tank of fresh water. I don't think i had any to syphon out.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
Old 05-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
So for an update...

I wanted to try it without the clip (which i know will work) but per Jayco's recommendation which was to put a loop in the overflow vent and not stop or close up the overflow.

Made a 3 hour ride and arrived with a full tank of fresh water. I don't think i had any to syphon out.

Did you do anything with the flat overflow hose?

Earl​
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Did you do anything with the flat overflow hose?

Earl​

Nope left it open. So this should prevent me from get under it to remove anything while filling or camping.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #13

Ok. I fold and clip my flat hose. That's where I loose my water. I never see anything other the regular hose unless I'm filling the tank. It comes out the flat hose first than the other hose.

Earl
Old 05-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Ok. I fold and clip my flat hose. That's where I loose my water. I never see anything other the regular hose unless I'm filling the tank. It comes out the flat hose first than the other hose.

Earl

That is right. The flat hose is the actual overflow. The smaller tubing is the vent. Jayco said to loop the vent which would stop the syphoning. Looks like it did. If i fill it to the gills it stills comes out the flap. Which tells me its full full. I like to travel with it 2/3 to full. Before the loop it would drop to 1/3 when i was at my destination.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #15

Roll with mine completely full. We dry camp 98% of the time. I thought about putting a valve on the hose but like it said, I never see it drip or anything. The flat hose drips even with it folded and clipped. Seems like we don't loose any water on the road.

Earl
Old 06-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #16

Talking

Quote:
So for an update...

It was you Jason..........LOL. couldn't remember who did this before

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Roll with mine completely full. We dry camp 98% of the time. I thought about putting a valve on the hose but like it said, I never see it drip or anything. The flat hose drips even with it folded and clipped. Seems like we don't loose any water on the road.

Earl

Mine doesn't seem to lose any water when full either..........I am sure I just jinkzed myself.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:59 PM   #18

What year?

Quote:
So I crawled around a little and took off an access panel in the under belly and found these two lines. I am thinking the small one is the overflow for the fresh water tank but just don't know about the larger pipe which feeds into the black sleeve. Any ideas?

Guess I will put a cut off valve on the 1/2" pipe and see what happens the next time I travel.

Thanks
I have a 2016 and am having a hard time finding my overflow. I have 2 white tubes conning out on the passenger side just below the front storage area. In your pictures it looks like yours are right by the wheels.
Reddevil2n is offline   Reply With Quote