Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #21

Been full timing in Texas heat in our FLSA for 7 months. We love everything about this RV floor plan but the AC is horrible. During the day, our front LR reaches 89F anf runs constant. The bedroom cools well but tge other 2/3 does not keep up. Jayco videos even brag about constant temps in their testing but the FLSA fails. The more of ud that contact Jayco, msybe they will devise a solution. Dont accept substandard in a 90k RV.
Grawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #22

Has anyone researched installing a third AC? Concerns for roof load, electric load, overall weight?
Grawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #23

Same problem

We have a 2015 and our A/C does not keep up either. Have not talked to our dealer yet. Waiting for the end of our camping season. Problem only happens when outside temperature is above the 80's.
3500 Ram Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawe View Post
Has anyone researched installing a third AC? Concerns for roof load, electric load, overall weight?
The MACH 8 only weighs 90 lbs, but the issue would be the lack of roof bracing & framing also running the elec would be a royal pita.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 AM   #25

It is very reassuring that we are not crazy as Jayco seems to think. My husband now refuses to camp because of the A/C issue. Our dealer has trimmed, disassembled & everything else everyone has suggested but to no avail. When it gets above 80° outside, the front unit (which cools the living room & dining area), runs constantly & will not cool to set temp. The back unit (bedroom) cools & cycles as it should. We are not sure about the dealer looking into whether Coleman had problems with some units. You would think the manufacturer would notify the dealerships if that was the case. PLEASE keep posting complaints about A/C units. The more consumer's that do, the greater the chance of something being done. As previously stated, we are in the woods in northern Ohio where it is known to be humid in the summer. This is so not acceptable!
AnnetteG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by L L Wright View Post
Thanks. The compressor stays running all the time during daylight. Same problem that Annette says they have. Dealer is telling me Jayco is telling them "it is what it is". Waiting to talk to factory rep now.
Talk to them for us,too. I want to return ours.
Happycamped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #27

We just went on a 2 week trip with ours 36rsqs pinnical we found that the living area had trouble keeping cool but I think it is because it's the quiet air system in the area between the ceiling and the roof gets so hot where the duck work goes through then it's warm up the air before you come out the vents we put a small fan in the bed room to blow out in to the living area
Fuldraw2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #28

That is a great idea, thank you for that, except it should not require fan/s to assist the cooling down process. If there is a design error it should be fixed correctly & the owner should not have to fight to get it done. Our dealership has been in contact with Jayco again & are working on some possible solutions. It is just a shame it hasn't been able to be fixed. Our dealer is as frustrated as we are & they are being the brunt of our anger. We appreciate all they do & continue to do.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #29

I don't have that model, but my 36REQS in Texas heat does well with a few practices. First, keep the dark shades closed, 2nd keep the underbelly closed, the vent in the stairs opens up into the underbelly to help climate control the underbelly which allows outside heat in. My unit has a ceiling fan, so I run it in hot weather. My Pinnacle is a 2012, so it didn't come with LED lighting, so I changed all the hot halogen bulbs to LED and they run 20 times cooler than the originals, the other thing that has helped is to insulate the vent in the ceiling. I also close the louvers on the A/C unit in the ceiling to where they are barely open to force more air out the duct's. I also aimed all my supply vents to cool the exterior walls. Hope some of this helps.
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #30

Sorry. Been out of reach last few days. As for an update on our unit. Talked to the owner of our dealership yesterday and he told me that Jayco was comitted to making us happy even if it means adding a third unit. There will be issues associated with this, like it will not be tied to duct, just dumps in front room, electrical, because they can't tie into original controls, etc. But as for what they have done is replaced the front Unit and cut in more ducts to let more air in unit. Unit cools down in the mid 70's and cycles. Outside temps in NE Texas has been running in the high 90's. I will meet with them next Wednesday and now I am thinking maybe duct is sized to small to let air from both units out. I have an instrument that will tell me CFM's out of each duct and I will look at Colemans specs for total CFM's out of each unit and compare. Dealer told me they could not tell much difference when units were switched out. Difference Came with more outlets. I will keep ya'll posted.
L L Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #31

Thank you for the update please keep us posted on the outcome. We are going through the same issue with our fsla that we picked up just 3 weeks ago. We are lucky if we can keep the temps down around 82 or so in front and that is with fans going. Which in my book is unacceptable in a 90 plus unit. Also when they were advertising maintaining a 72 average temperature in extreme heat. Maybe they should bring the test unit down here in the sun in Houston.
pgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:23 AM   #32

Thank you LL for the update. Jayco has been in contact with us also, finally. A 3rd unit would be acceptable to us IF it wasn't the loud unit like the bedroom one is. One of the reasons we purchased this unit was because of the whisper quiet A/C that is installed. Of course we had no idea it wouldn't cool adequately since all our previous Jayco campers were fine. We are not sure what the outcome of this will be. We just hope it is to everyone's satisfaction. Please keep posting as we are curious what your results will be.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:42 AM   #33

Most of your heat issues are coming thru your windows!!! Had a similar problem on a trip out west a couple years ago. Spent a good bit of time hanging thermometers around to determine the biggest issues. I didn't have insulated windows which I assume you folks don't either. I had a 60% reflective tint applied to all of my windows. Made a world of difference!!!! The only down side is that it makes the interior a lot darker. That is still very acceptable to us. I paid a commercial outfit to install it for $500. If I installed it, it would have been a disaster!! Money well spent. Trust me, most of your heat is coming in thru you slides if you don't have toppers and your windows!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #34

Ela1948, our windows came with heavy tint from the factory. When the lights are on @ night it is almost impossible to see inside. It is VERY dark in the daylight in the camper due to this. We also have night shades which we use for privacy. Our campsite is located in the woods so direct sunlight does not factor in the problem. If by toppers you mean slide awnings, we have those too. I am sure there is heat infiltration through the slides even with the sealing system on it. When it was windy, we have checked for presence of drafts. None found. All suggestions are greatly appreciated, so thank you for your solutions.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteG View Post
Ela1948, our windows came with heavy tint from the factory. When the lights are on @ night it is almost impossible to see inside. It is VERY dark in the daylight in the camper due to this. We also have night shades which we use for privacy. Our campsite is located in the woods so direct sunlight does not factor in the problem. If by toppers you mean slide awnings, we have those too. I am sure there is heat infiltration through the slides even with the sealing system on it. When it was windy, we have checked for presence of drafts. None found. All suggestions are greatly appreciated, so thank you for your solutions.
When I was hanging thermometers around, it was very apparent that the slides with there thinner walls and windows were the biggest problems. I am really surprised that if you are truly in the shade with two AC's working that you would have that much of a problem. If you are in 100+ degree temps, air conditioners will only drop ambient temperatures roughly 20 degrees. Meaning that 80 degree temperatures would be expected if its 100 outside. Certainly hope that you can find a solution that you can live with.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #36

We did not do the thermometer test because the unit is brand new. We were advised the 2 slides in the front living room may not be insulated as well due to weight problems with the camper having 5 slide outs. Probably part of the problem. During the day we have to use the interior lighting due to the darkness. Jayco is addressing the problem so we are pleased with that. Our temps in northern OH in the summer normally do not reach the 100° mark. When the outside temp was 82*° the interior would not get below 74° & would run constantly. That is not acceptable to us. Again, thank you Ela1948 for your suggestions.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #37

Do you have the whisper quiet? My uncle has whisper quiet on his 2009 Open Range. He has fought the same issue in his camper. He finally found the problem when doing routine maintenance. The Amish Boys missed the center of the hole by two inches. Also from my experience on mine when it was brand new I had a bad freeze sensor so the evaporator coil would freeze and not thaw. These suggestions may of been mentioned previously but thought I'd see if this helps.
B & W Companion

Central MO
MOCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #38

Where do you get access to the divider duct?
Jack 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to BC CANUCK
I am camped right now in Manitoba Canada with our 2015 36 REQS Pinnacle. The temperature today was 32 degrees Celcius or 88 Farenheit. The A/C in this unit is useless. The coach temp was set at 75 but the actual temp would not go below 80 with both a/c's running, although the bedroom did drop to 74. After reading these reports from owners I hope Jayco is listening and comes up with a fix.
BC CANUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #40

I was camping with 85 degree temperature outside and the ACs both running nearly constantly to keep the rig at 78 degrees. Seemed pretty whimpy to me. I am not looking forward to hot temperatue camping.
Jack 56 is offline   Reply With Quote