Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #1

38 FLSA not cooling

We just bought a 2015 38 FLSA. Front unit will cool down about 10 degrees cooler from outside temp. Anybody else having or heard of this problem?
L L Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #2

Cooling problems

We bought a brand new 2014 Pinnacle 38FLFS, in 2013, that has had cooling problems from the start. It is parked in the woods but does not cool to the 72 degrees the thermostat is set @ until the sun goes down. In fact, it may increase in temperature a degree or two & runs constantly. Dealership has done everything Jayco has recommended but the problem has not been solved. We are at our wits end. 2nd season & it is not fixed. Very troubling. Very disappointing.
AnnetteG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by L L Wright View Post
We just bought a 2015 38 FLSA. Front unit will cool down about 10 degrees cooler from outside temp. Anybody else having or heard of this problem?
Check how the vents are positioned on the wall by the pantry. If they are blowing on the thermostat the compressor will shut down prematurely. Bad design in regards to the placement of the vents and thermostat.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #4

Thanks. The compressor stays running all the time during daylight. Same problem that Annette says they have. Dealer is telling me Jayco is telling them "it is what it is". Waiting to talk to factory rep now.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #5

We have our 2015 38FLSA parked in the sun for most of the day, it gets shade in the late afternoon hours.

During our spell of hot weather (94-98, with 60-80% humidity) we maintained 74 inside without issues.

I do run both units, and keep the bedroom unit 3F cooler than the front unit. Our living area is comfortable when the shades are drawn. (we pull both shades in the heavy sunlight)

Ours is working perfectly if I use both units in the heavy sunlight.

2015 Jayco 38FLSA - Loaded -

B&W Companion 20K slider hitch
KC_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #6

We are curious what the factory rep advises you, L.L. We have not been offered the option of talking to one. Our dealer has bent over backwards but whatever they have been advised to do has not fixed the problem. We have noticed that if we have set the thermostat @ 72 °, when does reach 72° in the camper, the A/C keeps running. It is very frustrating. We have had various models of Jayco (ALL much less expensive) & have never had a problem with the A/C units in them. We have had a 40' park model by Jayco with only one A/C unit & it worked like it should. This one has 2 & can't keep up. By the way, all the models we have owned have been parked @ the exact same campsite, so the conditions are duplicated. We have called the customer service department. Didn't receive a return phone call. Not good PR. Called again & talked to someone & checked our serial #. We were told the problems have been addressed by their reports. Yes, they have been addressed but with no resolution of the problems. We just don't know where to turn!
Old 07-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

Please advise what factory rep recommends or advises. It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #8

Our 38 FLSA air has worked great. I have had a friend that has a different brand 5th wheel and they had a problem with all the cold air exiting the camper through the heating ducts. Try covering the floor vents and cold air return and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

I would not cover the cold air return as suggested, this will stop the unit from cooling at all and will put an extra load on the unit. It would be like having a severely clogged filter - not good.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #10

Thank you for the suggestion. It just seems that with a camper that is so expensive, MSRP of over $90,000.00, that to make the A/C work as it should, you may have to cover floor vents & cold air returns! I don't think this is a solution to the problem!!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input. Annette I am with you and I will let you know. To much money to be told thats the way it is. Some of you have replied that you have no problems. That tells me that there is actually something wrong with this trailer; be it unit, ducting or whatever. We stayed in it 2 nights and its been at dealer ever since. Had 40th anniversary trip planned, but its postponed for a while. Thats when the really agitated part starts.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #12

Not the cold air return for the AC but the vents for the furnace. I don't mean this as a fix but as a diagnosis to the problem.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #13

Has you dealer talked to COLEMAN? It may by an unit problem and nothing to do with the install. If you are not getting a 15/20 degree temp drop(inside air 80, air out of the ducts should be 60-65) it may not be cooling to full capacity.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #14

Dealer said it was in the 20 to 22 degree range. But temp outside is 95 and inside will be 84 to 85 degrees. They tell me the trailer is too big for a 15,000 unit
Old 07-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by L L Wright View Post
Where is your second unit mounted? Mine is in the front BR and it can get below 69 in there if I let it.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #16

2nd unit is in bedroom which is in back. It will freeze you out. Its just the kitchen and front living that stays hot. Jayco must be planning on the back unit to put air in the front because both units are 15,000 BTU's and the bedroom is half the size as the front. The dealer tried to shut or change airflow through out the unit to do this, but it didn't work.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #17

I have roughly the same size unit as you in sq ft and my unit has been good on AC. A few things to consider that I have done that may help.

I have plexiglass over my screen door to limit the AC/heat transfer. In my BR I keep only one chill grill vent open, close the bathroom vent as well which does increase volume in the living area when both are going. I would shut 2 vents in the BR and set the temp 5 degrees lower than the front, keep the BR door open to allow for more cold air to flow forward.

Perhaps a fan on the floor to push air from the back to the front on really hot days might help.

I also invested in registers that close for all my heat registers. Cost was $60.00 for all.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #18

2015 38flsa- Similar issues with the a/c. When it's warm (mid 80's)the front of the unit never cools to theramsat setting (73) runs continuously. We've tried running both the bedroom a/c and the front one and it really doesn't make a difference. The bedroom a/c runs for about 20 seconds then shuts down then 5 minutes later it turns back on for about 20 seconds and shuts down again and again all night. Again this is when it's real warm. Unit definitely has a cooling issue
MBARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:59 AM   #19
jtw

Does your a/c blow cold? or do you have poor/low air flow from the ducts? I have a 2015 Eagle 345BHTS and had very low duct discharge pressure, it turned out to be rubber roof material blocking 3/4 of the duct opening at the a/c unit. The factory runs roof material over entire room, a/c guy trims excess roof material to mount a/c he did a crappy job by not trimming roof material well thus blocking both duct runs. Dealer will not look that hard to find this problem, I took entire unit apart to find this. hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #20

We have a 2013 Pinnacle LKTS and you might look for the issue that I discovered on ours...both the front and rear units. There is a piece of rigid foil backed insulation between the return and the cold air side. The manual calls this piece the "duct divider" on ours (Coleman AirExcell) and it's just pressed into place. When our unit would cycle up, the blower pressure would partially dislodge this piece and the result was to have a good portion of the cold air to just go right back into the return rather than be sent through the duct. It also caused more blower noise at the return. Once discovered, it was easily secured in place but very poor design IMHO.
glilja is offline   Reply With Quote