Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #21

I wanted to provide a quick follow up to this camper. I have owned it for a year now and have put several miles on this camper. We have had the kitchen slide motor go out and had to get serviced due to it not operating (this is bad if out BTW). The other "issue" we had is the very first camping outing resulted in discovery that the bathroom faucet leaked when turned on. Jayco made both of these issues right, although dealing with the "warranty" department was not fun.

On our trip out to disney world in orlando Florida (from Tennessee near Nashville) in the hot sun and fully loaded up we discovered that a single rear axle on the truck is just not enough for the weight placed in the bed of the truck. The rear tires were riding on the side walls with 80 lbs of air in them. As soon as we got home we traded in the 2500 ram for a 3500 dually with a long wheel base and couldn't be happier!!!

You may ask, why the long wheel base...well my father also bought a jayco 5er just like mine (well almost but slightly different floor plan) and the same truck (2500 short bed) and while turning into a gas station somewhere between TN and FL he shattered his rear window! I didn't want a repeat of this as I always had to be very careful when turning...

My advice to anyone is when choosing the rig to pull these homes away from home, don't skimp on the tow rig. If you can afford a $90K camper you can afford the truck to pull it.
Marine660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #22

Oh, one more thing...the 2500 ram had I think 3.07 gears and the 3500 has 3.73 and the AISIN tranny. All I can say is WOW what a difference in towing!!!!
Old 01-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine660 View Post
I wanted to provide a quick follow up to this camper. I have owned it for a year now and have put several miles on this camper. We have had the kitchen slide motor go out and had to get serviced due to it not operating (this is bad if out BTW). The other "issue" we had is the very first camping outing resulted in discovery that the bathroom faucet leaked when turned on. Jayco made both of these issues right, although dealing with the "warranty" department was not fun.

On our trip out to disney world in orlando Florida (from Tennessee near Nashville) in the hot sun and fully loaded up we discovered that a single rear axle on the truck is just not enough for the weight placed in the bed of the truck. The rear tires were riding on the side walls with 80 lbs of air in them. As soon as we got home we traded in the 2500 ram for a 3500 dually with a long wheel base and couldn't be happier!!!

You may ask, why the long wheel base...well my father also bought a jayco 5er just like mine (well almost but slightly different floor plan) and the same truck (2500 short bed) and while turning into a gas station somewhere between TN and FL he shattered his rear window! I didn't want a repeat of this as I always had to be very careful when turning...

My advice to anyone is when choosing the rig to pull these homes away from home, don't skimp on the tow rig. If you can afford a $90K camper you can afford the truck to pull it.
My hunting buddy just left for home pulling his 1 year old 33' Jayco HT Eagle with his wife's new Toyota Tundra with the Hemi. Been telling me how great things were working out with this truck. When he backed in to his home base, he knocked out her rear window. Needless to say, she has not been a happy camper this past week! LOL I have a Jayco Eagle also and pulling with a 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins. Also the short bed, but I do have a slider hitch. So far, with my 2007 and this 2015, I have never had to pull the slider. I do keep a close eye so hopefully, this does not happen to me!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #24

Congrats you've got a great combo....it doesn't get any better than that for the big rigs! I especially love the exhaust braking system in the 3500.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raugustin View Post
Congrats you've got a great combo....it doesn't get any better than that for the big rigs! I especially love the exhaust braking system in the 3500.
Thanks we love it!!!
Marine660 is offline   Reply With Quote