Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
If you read the laws, you will find that the 40' max is from connection point to rear most axle center line. I asked the same question, shortly after I ordered my 377!

Great! Thanks fire instructor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayne70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
There has been a few times I have thought to myself that it is way too much trailer, but after we set up at camp we love it. Take your turns wide and keep an eye on over-head clearance and you will be fine. If the tractor trailer can make it, then I can as well. I have learned to be a little strategic with planning pull-offs from the interstate. I usually stick to the big truck stops for fuel and food. We went from a 20' travel trailer to this and there was a little bit of a learning curve. I highly recommend a rear view camera. It really helps with backing up and knowing when you can change lanes as well.
Thanks, so much, for your input! Iv will pass this info on to my hubby! I'm glad that I found this site!! Thanks again for your kindness and help!! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions/concerns moving forward...Lol! Have a great weekend!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Jersey Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #23

Quote:
If you read the laws, you will find that the 40' max is from connection point to rear most axle center line. I asked the same question, shortly after I ordered my 377!
Thanks, so much, for clarifying! The more we thought about the size of our new " toy," the idea becomes even more daunting!! Lol. [emoji29]

Old 05-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #24

Many of the campgrounds in the west have limited sites that will accomodate a rig that size. Most national or state parks will not handle a rig of that size. If you book early you will be fine, but if you wait you could be in trouble. Especially any time from early/mid June to Mid August plus Memorial day weekend and Labor day weekend.

Good Luck and happy camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #25

40 foot length limit in most states.

Quote:

It varies by state.

Here in Michigan it reads as "Length of semitrailers and trailers shall be measured from the front vertical plane of the foremost transverse load supporting structure to the rearmost transverse load supporting structure."

So basically from first crossmember to last, so the majority of an RV less the bumper.

If you have a CDL those limits are not applicable btw, hence why semis typically pull 53' trailers (or more)

One way or the other, I have never heard of these rules being enforced and wouldn't worry one bit.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Many of the campgrounds in the west have limited sites that will accomodate a rig that size. Most national or state parks will not handle a rig of that size. If you book early you will be fine, but if you wait you could be in trouble. Especially any time from early/mid June to Mid August plus Memorial day weekend and Labor day weekend.

Good Luck and happy camping !
Thanks, so much, for your kind reply!--hoping that we didn't OVER DO in the size of our purchase....eeek!-- Be safe and happy camping to you, as well! [emoji3]

Old 05-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #27

Thank you for all of the input. Great stuff!

Wayne70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #28
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Grandma View Post
Thanks, so much, for your kind reply!--hoping that we didn't OVER DO in the size of our purchase....eeek!-- Be safe and happy camping to you, as well! [emoji3]

Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. The 387 is long. We have only towed ours a couple of times thus far and have had to relearn my turning points. My previous unit was 37' and I was very comfortable with it. Practice where you can and take your time and you will be fine. Funny thing is looking st them on the lot they did not seem that big. Sitting in the back of mine and looking to the bedroom while in my driveway it seems like a football field. I am not trying to scare you. You will get used to it and above all enjoy it.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #29

Trailer length varies depending on the jurisdiction. Here in Ontario it is from the pin to the rear of the trailer. This is also listed on the specs from the manufacturers as "travel length", so I have to assume that is a fairly common way to measure it. While the 377 is exactly at the 41' limit for Ontario it turns out almost every jurisdiction in Canada at least has eased restrictions around RVs. If you go up to the large commercial license then those limits go up even more. If you have a commercial license and drive a company truck rather than personal you have to follow all the commercial rules though. (Logs, scales, etc).
Old 05-06-2017, 04:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. The 387 is long. We have only towed ours a couple of times thus far and have had to relearn my turning points. My previous unit was 37' and I was very comfortable with it. Practice where you can and take your time and you will be fine. Funny thing is looking st them on the lot they did not seem that big. Sitting in the back of mine and looking to the bedroom while in my driveway it seems like a football field. I am not trying to scare you. You will get used to it and above all enjoy it.
Thanks for The encouraging words! We are happily anxious, yet understandably, anxiously nervous as we look ahead to our new " adventure!" I'm sure that all will be fine but, admittedly, after the signing of the contract, the idea of this " big beast, behind us, started to feel rather daunting! Lol
I will pass your positive thoughts along to my hubby!
Thanks for your kind reply. Wishing you a happy a safe Summer ....Safe travels !!

Old 05-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #31

I wonder if this is old info? If not I'm in trouble. I drive a big rig that is 75 feet long....the trailer itself is 53 feet long.
Cutfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutfam View Post
I wonder if this is old info? If not I'm in trouble. I drive a big rig that is 75 feet long....the trailer itself is 53 feet long.
The rules posted and referred to are only applicable to privately operated vehicles. If you have a CDL and operate commercially there are much higher or no length limits.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne70 View Post
A few weeks ago I picked up my new North Point 377 and love it. I was just looking at size limitations and most states have length limit of 40 feet. My new trailer is 42.7 so I am a little concerned. Has anyone ever had a problem with these limits?

What is the URL for this chart?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:11 PM   #34

That is from Good Sam's site, here is the full charts. I know for a fact the MN one is wrong, I attached the sheet from MN detailing the requirements.

Think your best off checking with each state.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/590eac33...20Trailers.pdf

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
enmity02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #35

That didn't upload too well, here is the address;
https://www.goodsamcamping.com/plan/RulesOfTheRoad.aspx

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
enmity02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
I have read a few of these and I believe that the length is measured from the hitch to the rear axle. I was a little concerned after we bought our North Point as well. I have never seen anyone pulled over and a State Trooper walking around with a tape measure.
I am a retired police officer and there were a lot more things I was looking for besides trailer lengths. If I was still working I'd be getting writers cramp for all the people who are texting.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote