Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #1

4wd TV or 2wd TV?

Hi everyone. Just came back from Hershey PA RV show and decided after looking at all the 5th wheels there that a Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS is the 5er for us. Here's my question, 4wd, or 2wd 1 ton DRW diesel truck?

We've got a bit of experience RVing, as we full time RV'd with DW, 4 kids and two dogs from 2006-2008 after I Retired form the Army. We homeschooled our kids (two now graduated from college, one a college senior and one a freshman this year) and called our trip our American History Tour. For the trip our TV was a Volvo 770 (single axel and registered as an RV), and a 44DBS Travel Supreme 5th wheel. Prior to getting the Volvo we had a Ford F350 CC DRW diesel, 2wd. I'm also well versed in the mods that can be done to trucks, calculating "safe" towing weights etc. My question revolves around is there a "need" for a 4wd tow vehicle vs. a 2wd tow vehicle?

We plan on making several trips to AK, so 4wd seems to be a good option. Then again, when pulling a big 5er there is plenty of weight on the rear wheels so why pay the extra for a 4wd?

I had one experience with the Ford F350 when trying to hook up my TS on a grass parking area. It rained the night before and, yep the 2wd truck had trouble (I got it hooked up) on the slick grass = spun a lot.

There is also the question of Chevy vs. Ford, but I'll leave that for another time. I'm not a fan of either, just want to get the truck that fits us the best, and can pull the 5er we purchase.

Thanks for all your insight, I'll sit back and read what you all have opine on this.
Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Team

. Welcome to the forum. I have 2WD on both my trucks but a different situation. Pulling that Pinnacle to Alaska and many other places I would want 4WD.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #3

Sounds like you answered your own question as to 2wd or 4wd. I personally thank dodge has the best diesel-hands down. My kenworth has a cummins so I think they have that part figured out quite well. Good luck with your choice
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #4

I just stored my TT for the winter and the day before I pulled it to its winter spot it had rained. The lot was quite slick and I started to spin the tires while backing the TT into its spot. I locked the rear dif but that did not help much. I ended up utilizing 4X4 which saved the day. I had a 2 wheeel drive truck once and swore I would never buy another.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #5

The only reason I have a 4x4 is for winter driving if I run into any heavy snow or icy roads, so unless you plan on towing on snowy roads I don't see the point. If you use 4 wheel on dry roads, esp. pavement, your tires won't last long.

All this being said I wouldn't own a truck that doesn't have 4 wheel drive, it's just to darn nice when you do need it.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #6

Just my opinion but if the road conditions were such that I needed 4wd, I wouldn't be on the road. Logic dictates that if you need 4wd to move forward then you'll also need help steering and stopping, both characteristics I'd like to maintain.

An ounce of prevention blah, blah, blah.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #7

First of all thanks for your service and welcome.

Since we have the same rig you are looking at and you have a choice of vehicles we are so glad to have a 4WD dually to pull.

There have been many occasions if we didn't have the 4WD we would have been spinning our wheels and wondering what to do. I'm not talking about driving down the hwy in ice and snow but backing or pulling out of places that were greasy, uphill/downhill or on soft roads getting to a place that was off the beaten path.

You are picking a nice rig...now get the 4WD TV that will give you the confidence in your travels to enjoy to the utmost w/o worrying...I should have got the 4WD.

Good luck with your decision and safe travels.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #8

Last February I had to use 4WD to drive the first 30 or 40 miles out of my house to get down to Florida for my (almost) yearly trip to Florida. Without 4WD I would have been stuck in 8" or 10" of snow for most of those 2 weeks rather than sitting out on Tampa Bay and kayaking...

Let me tell you, that 4WD would have been a deal at TWICE the price last winter!

It all depends upon how and where you tow and drive. If you are one of those guys that follows a strict timeline and you have to leave on Thursday by 0900 hours whether its wet or dry then a 4WD might be useful. If you can look out your window and see it looks nasty and hunker down for 2 more days until it dries out then a 2WD might be better suited. If you load up the trailer and leave town because you hear about an upcoming snow storm, maybe you want that 2WD. If you live up north and decide you are done with snow by January and want to go somewhere warm, maybe a 4WD would be helpful.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #9

While picking up my daughter from a friends house, their driveway had leaves and was damp. I had to back up an incline to the street and because a diesel is heavy in the front and light in the back, the rear wheels just spun. I needed 4wd just to get out of the driveway!

I'm sure a dually would have been a little better, but I would always opt for 4wd.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #10

X2
Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #11

I would never get 2 WD. My truck often leaves asphalt in its daily duties and I live in a snowy climate. Remember, you can never add 4 WD later as a mod. If there is any chance you may want it, get it. Also, my truck is a F350 SRW. The back end is very "light" and I get stuck a lot in 2 WD. Especially in winter. There is no comparison in my opinion.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #12

When I bought my truck, I opted for a 4wd. It has come in handy on many occasions where other vehicle got stuck, I put mine into 4 lo and continued trucking even helping to pull stuck cars too in snow. Helps to on leaf covered roads that are wet. IMHO ...I spend the extra and get the 4wd
Old 11-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired View Post
... My question revolves around is there a "need" for a 4wd tow vehicle vs. a 2wd tow vehicle? ...
We just bought our 1st 5vr this June and upgraded to a 1 ton 4wd SRW truck.
IMO 4wd or 2wd is dependent where you're located and how you plan to use the truck.

I've never had to use the 4wd while towing. Previously I had a GMC 2500 4wd towing a TT and in 7 years I only used the 4wd once towing and that was backing into a campground site.

Living in WNY and being a Ski instructor, I need the 4wd to get around in the winter.

So, my answer to your question - is there a need - no, but is it beneficial to have 4wd yes.

Personally, I would get the 4wd option - better to be safe then sorry.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #14

Very personal choice. If all the places you like to visit are KOA type CGs then 2wd should be fine. I too agree that if the road conditions require 4wd to move forwards it’s time to get off the road. I commonly use 4wd a couple times a year to get in or out of a campsite, usually due to rain and wet leaves.

My rule of thumb is; 4wd is to get me home from work, not to work!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #15

when I bought my Chevy Duramax dually in 2012,thedealers here in my part of Tx just didn't carry in stock LT's or LTZ's without 4wd.You could get em in basic work trucks in 2wd but I wanted a nicer truck.
I haven't had to use it much but when I needed it, was real happy I had it.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #16

Go with the 4 wd. You never know when it will come in handy and when it does it's worth it's weight in gold...
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #17

I'm on my 2nd 2wd truck I swore I would never buy again. Things just landed that way this time, I found a truck that I was able to get a really good deal on, just didn't have 4x4, so I bit.

My next truck WILL have 4wd. Granted, I've only had one case where I thought I needed it since I bought the truck (and my TT), and I wasn't even towing. We had decided to drive down the beach, and the soft sand almost had us, 4wd would have been nice.

The way I see it, it's a little like insurance; most times you don't need it, but when you do need it, all those premiums are worth it. Also, with a 1 ton DRW, you're probably looking at a hefty price tag anyway, so why not add the 4wd; incrementally it wouldn't be that much of an increase in the purchase price?

I would rather have it and not need it...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #18

I owned a 2WD truck for years and used it as a daily commuter through midwest winters but now that I have a 4WD, I'll never go back. The 2WD had a locking differential than came in pretty handy but when we had snow drifts or roads that weren't plowed well I got stuck a few times and needed assistance. Like the old P38 can opener...it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...lol
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #19

4x4... I've used both single and duels...I perfer single wheels.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. My TV is 2wd. Living outside ATL I very rarely need 4wd. But when I tow my TT I have needed 4wd numerous times just to get in and out of campgrounds with dirt roads and/or hilly terrain. I would definitely get 4wd especially with a 1 ton.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote