Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #1

5 yr old found dead

Oh my goodness. A five year old wanders off from a campsite in the grand canyon area. I don't know all the particulars but this youngster was found dead five days later. I can't impress enough on young parents to keep their eyes on their children. I see youngsters all the time walking ahead of or behind their parents on busy sidewalks that could dart in a second into traffic. Too many parents have their heads stuck in their cell phones etc. and have no idea what their young child is up too. Please be sure our fellow campers are watching out for their youngsters. Think of the memories these parents will have of their camping trip for the rest of their lives. I know our Jayco Owners' will do a better job of parenting than this. It only takes a second for a child to disappear and result in tragic consequences. My heart felt condolences to this family.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:43 AM   #2

OMG. I will pray for the child and the family.
Please watch your kids....they are precious.
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

Yes indeed a sad story. It happened just outside of Flagstaff, AZ. Supposedly the boy was chasing after grasshoppers and the parents lost track of him. This is one incident that should have never happened with just some supervision. Boundaries need to be set with children of all ages.

I do feel sorry for the family. I can't imagine the guilt they must have.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Prayers for the family!

Being fairly new to the parenthood thing, our 9mo is just starting to crawl. I can see my life will be changing soon as I am already chasing her around the living room and kitchen...

Just last week, a co worker and I were talking about her recent camping trip. She was so mad about how many parents just let their young children wonder the campgrounds. People get a false sense of security at busy camp grounds. MOST people are good people, but you just never know who is a predator these days...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #5

Looks like he was in a large group and he separated from the group and no one noticed.
Autopsy: 5-Year-Old Arizona Boy Likely Died From Exposure - ABC News

The child appeared to have died from exposure.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #6

Prayers for that family!
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Sad ending, the report I read said he likely died the first night from exposure. Sad! Hug your kids and keep them close!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #8

Praying for all involved. Very very sad.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

At places like the Grand Canyon, even older people need to be careful. I worked with a young man for years. He saved his vacation and every two years went to the Grand Canyon to hike. He was an experienced hiker and went well prepared. About four years ago, he did not check out of his motel room the day he was supposed to. That started the search when the motel reported it to the Park Service. Investigators interviewed many of us at the office here in NC trying to find hints of where he planned to hike. A lot of days spent searching with nothing found. About 6 days later, investigators returned to our office to interview people again. At that time, a good friend of his remembered something he said about a certain trail. Helicopters were dispatched again and they spotted his remains. The autopsy determined he had fallen and had a severe break of his leg. Sadly, his injuries were not life-threatening. If he had only told someone there of his plans that day and the time of his expected return, the outcome might have been quite different.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFanRay View Post
At places like the Grand Canyon, even older people need to be careful. I worked with a young man for years. He saved his vacation and every two years went to the Grand Canyon to hike. He was an experienced hiker and went well prepared. About four years ago, he did not check out of his motel room the day he was supposed to. That started the search when the motel reported it to the Park Service. Investigators interviewed many of us at the office here in NC trying to find hints of where he planned to hike. A lot of days spent searching with nothing found. About 6 days later, investigators returned to our office to interview people again. At that time, a good friend of his remembered something he said about a certain trail. Helicopters were dispatched again and they spotted his remains. The autopsy determined he had fallen and had a severe break of his leg. Sadly, his injuries were not life-threatening. If he had only told someone there of his plans that day and the time of his expected return, the outcome might have been quite different.

Yes, even the experienced need to be careful. I would never hike alone like that. And most parks even rent out the personal locater beacons for near nothing. How much is your life worth????

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote