Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #21

No rusty socket that was NOT directed at you.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #22

Does anyone have a horror story to convince me to spend $200 on a surge protector? Because after 25 years of camping and between 7-10 RV's in our extended family I have never heard of a time where bad power damaged an TT.

My FIL is a retired lineman and I figure if he never thought one was necessary why would I consider one?
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
Does anyone have a horror story to convince me to spend $200 on a surge protector? Because after 25 years of camping and between 7-10 RV's in our extended family I have never heard of a time where bad power damaged an TT.

My FIL is a retired lineman and I figure if he never thought one was necessary why would I consider one?
At 11:30 one evening my air conditioner sounded unusual. I got up to see what the problem might be. I observed the volt meter that is always in the kitchen receptacle. I reads from 100 to 130 volts. It was pegged out. I shut off the power to the camper immediately. Too late. The converter was toast.

The problem was the campground had an open neutral. It impacted all the sites in my loop.

Three hours and $300 replaced the converter there at the campsite.

I now have a Progressive PT30. If I had had it during this event I would have had no damage. Had I not been there when it happened it could have destroyed the air conditioner as well.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:28 AM   #24
Site Team

I had lightning affect the ac input during a storm. A nearby lightning caused a surge. The surge fried my microwave before destroying itself.
Without it I am convinced the damage would have been much greater to my electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #25

We took our rig out for a single overnight test run here locally before any of our bigger trips in a month or so. I almost didn't get a surge protector but got one, plus the additional warranty, after reading this thread. We had a thunderstorm move through in the morning and had our master tv and AC kick off. Upon checking the surge protector, I'm thinking we got a surge from all of the lightning in the storm. Hopefully our AC is still okay, but I do have to get a new surge protector. I can only imagine what could have happened if I hadn't read this first!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Jayco NorthPoint 377RLBH
Mom, Dad, Two kiddoes (soon to be three) and two furry kids
CassRose47 is offline   Reply With Quote