Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #1

5'r choice for F350

Hi all,

I've been stalking these forums for quite some time and have recently been shopping for a new Jayco 5th wheel for my family (wife, 3 children, myself, and sometimes the dog...a golden retriever). This will be our first RV and we're hoping it will last us 10+ years.

We initially had settled on the Eagle HT 29.5FBDS until I realized there is next to no outside storage. So we looked at the other HT options and really liked the 29.5BHOK with the 4 bunks. It has just about everything we want except an extra bathroom which is not a deal breaker. Unfortunately, no dealer within 500 miles has this in stock so we'd have to order it.

Our local dealer does have an Eagle 360QBOK in stock so we are tempted by that one since it is available now but it is about $8K more in price and I'm a bit concerned with the 40' length. We'd also be pretty close to max on payload for the truck once I figure in the family, dog, hitch, and assume the loaded pin weight will be at least 2500lbs.

So my question to all you wise folks is whether you would wait and get the smaller (but not small) HT 29.5BHOK or buy the larger Eagle 360QBOK?

Specs on TV and 5th wheels below:

Tow Vehicle
Ford F350 Lariat CCLB 4x4 SRW 6.2L 4.30 gears
Payload (from sticker): 3518#
GVWR (from sticker): 11000#
GAWR (rear): 6730#
Max Trailer Weight (5th wheel): 15000#
GCWR: 22,200#

Eagle HT 29.5BHOK
UVW: 8590#
Dry Hitch Weight: 1695#
GVWR: 11000#
CCC: 2410#
Exterior Length: 35' 3"

Pros: shorter, more safety margin, easy tow, cheaper, good match to TV?
Cons: no extra bathroom, have to order, might ride nose high?

Eagle 360QBOK
UVW: 11390#
Dry Hitch Weight: 2065#
GVWR: 13750#
CCC: 2360#
Exterior Length: 40' 6"

Pros: has everything we want, available now, bigger tanks
Cons: much heavier, has a lot we don't want (extra tvs, ceiling fan, etc), price is $8k more, length??

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks!!
towm8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF!
My personal decision would be to find the one you want. My experience is with the larger- longer unit you will be limiting where you can go with small kids.

I would keep looking for the perfect one at the right price.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:52 PM   #3

Several things to weigh and consider.

The Length - You won't notice an extra 5 feet when towing. Campgrounds will be a different story. You'll definitely be more limited. But it depends on where you like to camp. Are you a KOA/Full hook up resort campground type camper? Or are you a State Park/cozier campground type camper? If you frequent places that cater to bigger rigs, there is no reason to worry about it.

The Price - Obviously this is negotiable. You may have a little more leverage on a unit they already have and have to sell vs a factory order. But then maybe not. Also depends on your negotiating prowess. In the end, whatever that difference is, you and the wife have to be comfortable with the price. If you're not, I wouldn't spend it.

Weight - The weights look OK either way honestly. You're close and maybe slightly over with the 360. How comfortable are you driving your truck? I certainly wouldn't be looking to break any speed records while towing, especially up hills. If you want to be absolutely sure, load up the family and go to a CAT scale. Then go look at the sticker on the side of the 360, since it's already at the dealer to see what the actual weight as it sits. This will give you a better idea than a brochure weight.

Overall - I agree with Norty to ultimately get what you want. Although, in this case, I'd prefer the 360. It's got the extra room, extra bathroom and gives some room to grow as your family does. In the 10 years you hope to own this rig, you're kids will get big. That double slide room will give them a lot more space. But my family also generally frequents campgrounds that have bigger spaces and full hookups.

Whatever you decide, let us know and Good luck with the deal!
jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnamadison View Post
The Length - You won't notice an extra 5 feet when towing. Campgrounds will be a different story. You'll definitely be more limited. But it depends on where you like to camp. Are you a KOA/Full hook up resort campground type camper? Or are you a State Park/cozier campground type camper? If you frequent places that cater to bigger rigs, there is no reason to worry about it.
We're not sure yet what type of RV'ers we will be. We've only ever tent camped so I imagine we will start out going to the same places with the RV - mainly state parks in California and Oregon. But we will try the KOA/RV resorts and see which we like better. Probably best to keep our options open at this point.

Regarding towing the larger unit...would that extra 5' make a lot of difference in crosswinds? I've read post where people recommend a dually with a longer unit mainly for extra stability in winds.

Quote:
The Price - Obviously this is negotiable. You may have a little more leverage on a unit they already have and have to sell vs a factory order. But then maybe not. Also depends on your negotiating prowess. In the end, whatever that difference is, you and the wife have to be comfortable with the price. If you're not, I wouldn't spend it.
Either unit is manageable for us financially, but I want to be wise and get the most for our dollar and not pay for too many things that we don't need/want.

The bigger, in-stock, unit is the better deal overall at 32% off MSRP (when including delivery charges). The best we could do on the HT is 23% off MSRP. But $8k is still $8k and that would pay for a lot of gas and campground fees.

Quote:
Weight - The weights look OK either way honestly. You're close and maybe slightly over with the 360. How comfortable are you driving your truck? I certainly wouldn't be looking to break any speed records while towing, especially up hills.
I'm very comfortable with the truck but haven't done any towing yet. I'm a bit concerned with the extra length as some have mentioned that longer units are more susceptible to crosswinds. I could care less about how quickly we go up hills as long as its not so slow as to be unsafe.

Weight of the 360 as it sits on the lot is 11817 (options + full propane, no water). By my calculations, that means the current hitch weight is approximately 2142# (multiplying current weight, 11817, by ratio of published dry hitch weight to published UVW).

If I allow 1000 lbs for family, dog, and hitch, that only leaves about 350 pounds of payload. If I load most of our camping gear in the front storage compartment, I would imagine that 350 pounds will get eaten up fairly quickly. I could probably offset some if it with the bikes we'll be hanging on the back of the trailer. Also probably don't need 1000# allowance in the truck right now since the kids are small but planning for 5-10 years down the road when everybody is lots bigger :-)

Quote:
Overall - I agree with Norty to ultimately get what you want. Although, in this case, I'd prefer the 360. It's got the extra room, extra bathroom and gives some room to grow as your family does. In the 10 years you hope to own this rig, you're kids will get big. That double slide room will give them a lot more space.
I really, really like that double slide in the bunkhouse and the extra bathroom. I can definitely see those as huge benefits as the kids get older. Thanks for the advice!!
Old 07-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #5

I'd go with the 29.5 BHOK. Much better match in my opinion. As you can see in my signature, I yank a 328RLTS with a tongue weight of 1275lbs. and UVW of 8575lbs. and I'm pushing it. As a matter of fact, I'm currently looking for a better truck.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I'd go with the 29.5 BHOK. Much better match in my opinion. As you can see in my signature, I yank a 328RLTS with a tongue weight of 1275lbs. and UVW of 8575lbs. and I'm pushing it. As a matter of fact, I'm currently looking for a better truck.
The thought of towing the 29.5BHOK gives me more peace of mind, that's for sure. And we really do like that layout but I want to make sure it'll serve us well even when the kids are much bigger.

I'm surprised with your weight that you feel you need a better truck. From most of what I've read, that weight range should be well handled by an F250 with the 6.2L. Are you coming from a diesel? Is the trailer length the issue and you feel you need more stability by going to DRW? What are you looking to upgrade to?

I'm hoping our combination of TV and trailer will serve us well for 10+ years. If the combination is not ideal, what would be worse...to have to trade in/upgrade the TV sooner rather than later, OR trade in/upgrade the 5er in 3-5 years?
Old 07-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by towm8ter View Post
The thought of towing the 29.5BHOK gives me more peace of mind, that's for sure. And we really do like that layout but I want to make sure it'll serve us well even when the kids are much bigger.

I'm surprised with your weight that you feel you need a better truck. From most of what I've read, that weight range should be well handled by an F250 with the 6.2L. Are you coming from a diesel? Is the trailer length the issue and you feel you need more stability by going to DRW? What are you looking to upgrade to?

I'm hoping our combination of TV and trailer will serve us well for 10+ years. If the combination is not ideal, what would be worse...to have to trade in/upgrade the TV sooner rather than later, OR trade in/upgrade the 5er in 3-5 years?

Don't get me wrong, the 6.2 will do the job. But she screams like a banshee going up hills at about 4500rpms. The reason I'm upgrading is because we want to take a lot of trips to the mountains next year and the 6.2 will struggle with a trailer this size. The same truck in a diesel is what I'm looking for. Well, my sales dept. is looking for it for me. Don't have a problem with the length at all. If you can pull a 25 footer, you can pull a 32 footer. Weight to torque ratio is the kicker. I'd feel better having more torque hitting the ground. Having 800 ftlbs. of torque opposed to 405 ftlbs. will be considerably noticeable. It's not the suspension that can't handle it, it's the powertrain.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by towm8ter View Post

Get the better TV. Then you'll have better choices as far as 5'ers in the future. For the lack of better words, bigger/stronger is better when it comes to TV's. I've never heard anyone say, "This is way too much truck for my towing needs". But I have heard, "This is way too much trailer for my TV."

Not to mention the safety factors. Family means everything. Protect them and transport them with safety I always say.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Several things to weigh and consider.

This!!!!

I agree that you won't feel the length towing. Maybe a little more in cross winds, but not enough that I'd let that sway (pun intended) your decision.

Big thing is campsite availability. Check the state parks you mentioned and see how different availability is for a 35' trailer vs a 40' trailer. I'd you think you may go to National Parks and stay in National Park campgrounds (most are no hookups), I'd think long and hard about a 40' trailer. You'll be extremely limited and be fighting for few spots that you'll fit in.

We do almost all state and National Park campgrounds and went with the 29.5 BHDS. It's longer than what we wanted, but the layout was the best for us. Loving it so far!! Just a hair under 5000 miles towing it since we got it in February.