Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

5th Wheel Hitch

I don't know if i am in the right section of the forum, so feel free to move the thread if needed.

I have a Husky 16k sliding 5th wheel hitch. Lately when I have tried to pull the lever that releases the pin it won't budge. I have tried to move the TV up or back a bit to see if the pin is bound, but this usually doesn't work. The dealer told me to try lifting the 5er a little more off the hitch. I already lift it until the weight is off of the TV like they said during the day i picked up the unit. I wait unil I can begin to see daylight. Maybe a quarter of an inch or so. I have tried less and more but it doesn't help. Usually after i fiddle around with this for a while it finally comes loose. I have the hitch thoroughly lubed with graphite spray per the dealer. I use the fiber doughnut as well. Thoughts? Is anyone else with a Husky hitch having this problem? BTW this only started with the last 2 or 3 unhitchings.

Dealer says it could be wearing out but I have only had it since August 2011 and we have only been camping with it five times.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #2

I have the 16K Husky Hitch also, when we had our 05 Eagle 5th Wheel we never had any problems unhooking.

Now with our Pinnacle that has the Mor/Ryde Pin Box, it seems to be more challanging to get unhitched sometimes.

Do not know if you have the Mor/Ryde Pin Box.

Robert
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

I don't think I have a Mor/Ride pin box unless that is what comes standard on 2011 Eagles. I think the pin box is by Dexter, the same as the frame. What do you mean by "challenging"? Are you experiencing the same problems with unhitching as I am? My dad has a Reese and has never had a problem.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

The Mor/Ryde Pin Box is optional, it is a Rubber Isolated Pin Box, it is a little more challanging to get unhooked because of the Rubber Pin Box.

If there is any side or front to rear load on the pin box, the hitch does not want to unlatch. I am getting better at it, just different from our Eagle.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #6

I can't help but think this issue is hitch related. I have the B&W Companion hitch and also the MorRyde pin box and have never had a problem with unhitching.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #7

Be sure the trailer is level side to side. I have had this problem also with the husky!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #8

I have the Mor-Ryde pin box and Reese sliding hitch, and have no problems if ,when ready to release the hitch, I put the truck in reverse and remove all forward pressure from the hitch prior to pulling the handle. Hope this helps!
JT Strongarms
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #9

Took our new FW for a little ride yesterday and had a problem getting it unhitched when leaving it to get a hitch welded on. When looking at it, I wasn't level and it just wouldn't let me pull the rod to un-hitch it. Finally, just took the pins out of the sides and lifted up the whole top plate. Once it got level, it just dropped off. Today, when un-hitching, it was just a piece of cake, no binding or anything like that. However, it was quite level. That may be your problem. I have a Reese sliding hitch, 3,750 hitch weight and 15,000 total weight.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #10

Thanks everyone. I am going over to the storage yard this weekend,which is pretty level and give it another try. If it isn't performing to my liking, I am going to take the hitch back to thee dealer for an inspection. By the way, my dealer is Richardson's RV in Riveerside, CA. great people. Very paaatieent and helpful.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #11

No problems here either. Sounds hitch related to me as well.
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #12

I had the same problem once, turned out the hitch needed to be cleaned and lubed/greased. After doing this had no more problems.
silveradomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #13

Just spent 45 min trying to get my hitch to release. Seems to be getting worse every time we tow. If the 5er and truck aren't on the same plane its nearly impossible to get the hitch to release.
I have the Reese Titan 16k slider and the mor ryde pin box.
When backing into my driveway the TV front wheels are in the street so they're about 5" lower than the rears. I have to back the front wheels onto ramps and drop all the air out if the bags to get the pin to release. Never had a problem in a camp ground or in the storage lot until tonite.....back and forth...air out if bags...front wheels on boards....up and down with the landing jacks.....finally I let 7 lbs out of the rear tires, pulled forward about two feet and the hitch let go.
What a pain....
The 5er rides just a tad nose high so I'll be raising the pin box to see if that helps too.
Never had problems with my old 5er but it had a much lighter pin weight.
I'll try lubing the hitch....any other insight would be appreciated.

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #14

I have the same hitch as you - Reese Titan. Here is what you need to do. Chock the trailer wheels, lower the landing gear and take the weight off the kingpin (just). Put your truck in reverse and gently back against the kingpin. Now put on the parking brake to hold the truck against the kingpin. You can now easily release the hitch jaws. Works every time. Seems Reese designed the jaws to not release unless this is done. (as per Reese)
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #15

Been there done that. Been doin this for 11 years and the combo of a new king pin and the almost new Titan seems to be the issue.
Called Reese the other morning and along with the afore mentioned procedure they suggested that I lube the snot out of the jaws and pin with lithium grease because of the super tight grip the 16k Titan has.
The dealer I bought it from suggested the same and also asked that I bring it by to make sure there's no mechanical issue. I'll start with the lube and go from there.
I guess the Titan 16 is a mixed blessing......most secure grip but harder to uncouple.

Rumor has it that plenty of lube assists in a successful coupling.

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #16

Do you have the Revolution pin box? If so, is the wedge too far forward, which would not allow the above procedure to work?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #17

Nope.. Mor ryde pin and I love it.
Problem is getting progressively worse. I've got the winter to mess with it so I'll make sure it's all clean, lube it up in the spring and when I bring the 5er home in March I'll see how things work then.
At least I've gotten advice from all of you and Reese. And all of it is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #18

I'm using the Titan 16k with a Revolution and I had all kinds of problems until I learned the tricks. I'll just echo what's been said above for the benefit of anyone who finds this thread.
1) Grease the heck out of everything, even the sides of the Revolution wedge if you have one.
2) if you have a revolution, like David said, make sure the wedge isn't too tight in the hitch AND consider getting the specific wedge for the Titan (not the generic wedge), this made a HUGE difference for me.
3) Make sure you lift the pin until the plates just separate. If it's sitting hard on the plate it won't release
4) But also make sure the pin isn't pulling up on the hitch, that will lock it up too.
5) As to backing hard up against the hitch and setting the brake - I haven't had that much luck with this approach. I find it's best if you are neither pushing or pulling against the pin. But now that I've read David's experience, I'm going to have to experiment a bit more.

I agree that the Titan appears to be harder to unhitch than others on the market - but I also think it latches more securely and "clunks" less. So it's a tradeoff.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote