Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #1

5th wheel landing gear not operating on battery

I have recently discovered that my 5th wheel landing gear operates just fine if the electric power cord is plugged in, but does not operate on battery when the cord is disconnected, as it should. I have found and checked the 30amp fuse in line with the main battery cut-off, and it is OK. BTW, the battery is fully charged, and all lights and slide-outs work fine on battery with cord unplugged.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience, or have suggestions as to what might be wrong ?

Thanks,
Bill
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #2

Check the DC fuse panel. Mine is on floor on right as you walk in the door.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #3

thanks, Kcconawa, for the suggestion. I checked as you suggested, and there are both a circuit breaker panel and a fuse panel to the right of the door. Both are labelled, and there are no labels for the landing gear. Guess that means that the landing gear are fused elsewhere, assuming the problem is a fuse. Do you know location of any other fuses, other than the 30 amp one inside the battery compartment ?

Thanks,
Bill (tinlizzie23)
Retired at last !

Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #4

My unit is not home but .... You say it works on shore power. What about when plugged into truck w/truck running. If answer yes - then go back to that 30 amp fuse in battery compartment and verify not only the fuse but the wire.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #5

Again tried your suggestion, and the landing gear motor still does not operate with truck connected and running. Works fine on shore power. All the wiring I can see looks almost brand new - no visible corrosion or damage. 30amp blade fuse was checked with ohm meter - OK. I also discovered an in-line 30amp AGC barrel fuse near the switch, but it checked out OK as well. If I had a wiring schematic, I could check all the wires going to the switch with the ohm meter, but don't know where to get one for this unit. There is no breaker or fuse in either panel labelled for the landing gear, so does that mean the wire from the LG switch connects somewhere on the back of the inverter, and relies on the two 30amp in-line fuses ? I sure hate to start ripping the interior apart to find the bad wire, if it is a bad wire, and would rather just bypass the bad one and run a new one. A schematic would tell me where the wires are connected. I hate also to keep bugging you about this, but I'm running out of ideas. Thanks for your help !

Bill
Retired at last !

Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #6

I'm stumped. Maybe someone else will jump in here.

The only idea I have is someway figure out how to direct wire from a battery to the motor, using jumper cabels or something. The clues point to your inverter is working and supplying power but you have a disconnect/bad connection/fuse on DC side.

I'm 180 miles from my 2004 Designer for the next 2 weeks.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #7

I had a nightmare with my wiring on my Jayco (hotskin)!! I was able to contact a local Jayco dealer and he requested a wiring diagram from the factory for my unit. Once the dealer received it the next day he faxed it to my office and it showed everything I needed and more to find my problem.
2004 Dodge Ram Diesel 4dr
sootsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #8

You can contact Jayco directly at 1-574-825-5861 and they will email you the wiring print that you desire as a PDF document. They will ask you for the last 8 digits of your VIN. I requested 2 wiring prints last week and had them in my inbox an hour later. I've only been a fifth wheel owner for 2 weeks so I'm not able to offer any other advice. Good luck in your troubleshooting.
Tracylpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #9

Thanks, everyone, for all your efforts to give me advice. I did request a wiring schematic from the factory, and received it via email the next day. After checking each wire on the schematic, I finally found an apparently broken wire that did not show on the outside (all insulation looked good, but the wire has a disconnect somewhere. Bypassed it with a new one, and the LG works fine ! Another one of those problems that take hours to find, and 10 minutes to fix. Thanks again !!
Retired at last !