Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

5th Wheel Set up

I just purchased a Jayco Designer 5th wheel RV. Two questions please. 1. The book said the stabilizer jacks were not able to carry the weight of the RV. How are you supposed to unhook the tow vehicle? Do you need a jack under the fifth wheel pin?
2. Where do you find the stackable washer & dryers?
scashvyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #2

They are talking about "Stabilizers", not the front jacks. Some people try to use the rear stabilizers to lift the frame and wheels.

Any dealer should be able to order you a stack pair, I recommend SPLENDIDE. They are also on AMAZON.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #3

If you have a 2016 Designer, I believe that they all come with a 6-point level system. If this is the case you don't have stabilizer jacks. The stabilizer jacks on 5th wheels are usually near the rear bumper. To use them you lower them to the ground to stop the bounce in the trailer. The jacks in the front are the landing gear and without a doubt those handle the weight of the 5th so you can unhook.

Washer / Dryers are usually optional. Your Designer has the plumbing and wiring to install a washer / dryer, but you would probably need to have your dealer order it separately.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #4

The stabilizing jacks are at the rear of the coach. The landing gear is at the front, which is what is used to raise the trailer off the hitch.
Stackable WD can be purchased at the dealership or pretty much anywhere you can get RV accessories. Try Amazon, tweetys or PPL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #5

When they say they won't carry the weight they mean it will not lift the 5W the jacks stabilize and some weights still on the wheels. You need to level side to side before unhooking. I lower the front to the ground and take the weight off the hitch, unhook and use the front legs to level front to rear. When level lower the rear to take some weight and you are done.

Washer driers should be available at Camping World or Mesa RV and probably any of the larger RV suppiers.

Tip: When getting ready to leave raise the rear jacks first because if you raise the front you can bend the rears. I learned the hard way on my first 5W.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #6

New member with questions

Brand new RVer here. Don't even know how to post a message / question, so I did it here.
Bought a 2003 Jayco Designer 5th wheel. Driving and manuevering is no problem, used to drive big rigs. However, I know NOTHING about this RV. How does the frig work? Does it stay cold while underway? How does the water heater work? Where is it? I need lots of help. Any where I can find lots of answers on this unit? Thanks
scashvyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
If you have a 2016 Designer,

I think it's a 2003 so no 6 pt levelers. Rear stabilizers are what you are reading about and the info posted is correct. Rear stabs not supposed to lift only stabilize.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scashvyk View Post
... However, I know NOTHING about this RV. How does the frig work? Does it stay cold while underway? How does the water heater work? Where is it? I need lots of help. Any where I can find lots of answers on this unit? Thanks
See my response here: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...tml#post542613
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #9

On the Lippert 3.0, with 6 jacks... the center jacks are 'stabilizer' jacks. The 4 corners are the leveling jacks. The leveling will happen with the 4 outside jacks, once the unit has leveled, it will drop the center stabilizer jacks... then poke all 6 down one last time.
shagensicker is offline   Reply With Quote