Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2016, 04:50 AM   #1

A few 29.5bhds mods

With having kids and a large dog my DW wanted to protect the cushions in the camper so she busted out her awesome sewing abilities and made some pretty cool covers for the dinette cushions as well as for the couch. She also felt we need some shelving in the wardrobes because it would give us more room than hanging the clothes up so I had to put some shelves in the wardrobes, but they are removable and adjustable so hopefully will work.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-04-10 13.50.39.jpg   2016-04-11 19.34.51.jpg   2016-04-11 19.13.33.jpg  
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:10 AM   #2

Love the shelves. Where you mounted the back support rails, is there blocking behind the walls? I'll have to so my DW this idea. I'm sure she'll want it done as well.
Thanks for adding Another thing to my 'List'. ;-)

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping_J View Post
With having kids and a large dog my DW wanted to protect the cushions in the camper so she busted out her awesome sewing abilities and made some pretty cool covers for the dinette cushions as well as for the couch. She also felt we need some shelving in the wardrobes because it would give us more room than hanging the clothes up so I had to put some shelves in the wardrobes, but they are removable and adjustable so hopefully will work.
Sweet job!
We have the 29.5 as well and have gotten rid of the hangers in the large master and bunk closet and installed shelves (kept the hanger in both "the beside the master bed" ones).

Latest mod was installing a dimmer for the awning LED lights. I was getting tired of the airplanes circling above thinking it was a landing strip.

I will post some of my other mods sometime in the next month or so.

happy travels!
GiddiYup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiddiYup View Post
Latest mod was installing a dimmer for the awning LED lights. I was getting tired of the airplanes circling above thinking it was a landing strip.
OK, this sounds interesting. Details please!

Dave...

Old 04-12-2016, 06:31 AM   #5

I wasn't able to find any studs unfortunately, I may just missed them but I had to put the rails and stuff if certain spots for the shelving to work. But If you use the drywall anchors it should hold it fine, I was able to pull down on them pretty hard without them moving. The back wardrobe was kind of a pain to reach because it is so deep and has the center post between the doors. I am taking the camper out this weekend so I will see how the shelves do with the bouncing around.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post

Dave...
x2
Old 04-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

Nice job. My DW wants shelfs too. it Would be great if you could list the parts you used for the shelving and where you got it. I've been thinking about getting the adjustable shelf standards like in the outside kitchen shelf's, where they are spring loaded for the shelfs

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:48 AM   #8

That black shelving looks terrific and really makes the best sense for ventilation. Those seat covers are just the ticket for the active family and I see a new business venture in your future.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #9

Inline Dimmer (with remote) for LED Lights on 29.5 BHDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Dave View Post

Dave...
RE: Dimmer on 29.5 BHDS
I have to admit, I was very leery about ordering and doing this at first but this was one of the easiest mods so far on my Jayco 29.5.

I ordered the "inline dimmer and remote" seen in the pics from Amazon similar to this one shown here (not sure if this is where i got it!?): Robot Check
I am pretty sure it came from China as it took 4-5 week to receive it.

Installed it on the wires just under the plastic cover plate under the awning arms going up the side wall, outside, of 5th Wheel (see pics). Sealed up the wires and inline with some caulk, replaced the plate and Bob is now your uncle! (PS- Make sure if you do this mod to install the wires in the right directions marked on the "inline")

Note: This might not be the best solution for a dimmer as you still need the remote to dim the lights but it remembers the last setting you used and was by far the easiest (and probably cheapest) that i have seen!

Steve

PS - Apologies for hijacking this post but figured since a few have asked
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5584.jpg   IMG_5585.jpg   IMG_5586.jpg   61tsPwE73NL._SL1000_.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
Nice job. My DW wants shelfs too. it Would be great if you could list the parts you used for the shelving and where you got it. I've been thinking about getting the adjustable shelf standards like in the outside kitchen shelf's, where they are spring loaded for the shelfs
Here is the link to menards where I bought all the stuff for the project. just be sure to use shorter screws so you don't go all the way through the wall
http://www.menards.com/main/storage-...et=Tough+Stuff

The back wardrobe is about 25 inches deep and the deepest shelving I found there was 20 inches so there is about a 4-5 inch gap between end of shelves and the doors when closed. The wardrobe in the master bedroom I believe is 17 inches deep and the shelving was 16 so if fits good. The upright rails I bought one of each and cut them in half, to save a couple dollars. I also only bought one of the hanging track and cut that in half as well.

I was thinking of shelving like the outside kitchen area has as well but we found this and we both liked the darker color or the metal racks.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping_J View Post
I wasn't able to find any studs unfortunately, I may just missed them but I had to put the rails and stuff if certain spots for the shelving to work. But If you use the drywall anchors it should hold it fine, I was able to pull down on them pretty hard without them moving. The back wardrobe was kind of a pain to reach because it is so deep and has the center post between the doors. I am taking the camper out this weekend so I will see how the shelves do with the bouncing around.
Nice Job.

On our old class B, I installed similar shelving. There was only thin 'cardboard' to mount the brackets, but the floor at the bottom was quite solid. I sat the vertical standards on the floor so the vertical load on the shelves would be supported by the floor, not the fasteners in the 'cardboard.'

Re Shelf Bouncing etc.: Although it would hinder easy shelf adjustments, you could add a support (block. screw, etc.) on the backside of that center post between the doors. It would be out of the way and virtually invisible.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiddiYup View Post
RE: Dimmer on 29.5 BHDS
I have to admit, I was very leery about ordering and doing this at first but this was one of the easiest mods so far on my Jayco 29.5.

I ordered the "inline dimmer and remote" seen in the pics from Amazon similar to this one shown here (not sure if this is where i got it!?): Robot Check
I am pretty sure it came from China as it took 4-5 week to receive it.

Installed it on the wires just under the plastic cover plate under the awning arms going up the side wall, outside, of 5th Wheel (see pics). Sealed up the wires and inline with some caulk, replaced the plate and Bob is now your uncle! (PS- Make sure if you do this mod to install the wires in the right directions marked on the "inline")

Note: This might not be the best solution for a dimmer as you still need the remote to dim the lights but it remembers the last setting you used and was by far the easiest (and probably cheapest) that i have seen!

Steve

PS - Apologies for hijacking this post but figured since a few have asked
Did you go color for color on the wires? Just splice them together? I ordered this just now. It cost me 2.51 with free shipping....normally 25.00

My Mods Page
Old 04-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
I ordered this just now. It cost me 2.51 with free shipping....normally 25.00
LOL, I ordered mine a few hours ago myself. In fact, I already got the notice, it's been shipped. But delivery is expected between May 9th - 26th.
Must be coming over on a boat.

Dave...

Old 04-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #14

I got the same ship dates...HAHA

My Mods Page
Old 04-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Did you go color for color on the wires? Just splice them together? I ordered this just now. It cost me 2.51 with free shipping....normally 25.00

Sweet! Yup >Colour for colour. As I said, just make sure that you connect the module in the proper direction (written on module). Only connects one way from your switch towards your LEDs. You will see it when you get it. Good luck (but you won't need any!)
Steve
Old 05-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #16

Just ordered mine, June 5th -10th HaHa
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:54 AM   #17

I am finally getting around to posting pics of an install that I did. I installed a wired/wireless camera on the rear of the camper. I ran the cable behind the plastic molding that covers all of the screws. The cable runs under the camper held in place by plastic P clips and zip ties, to the large front compartment behind the propane by the driver side landing gear. In there is where I spliced into the running lights for power and installed a wireless transmitter. Then in the truck I installed the other wireless transmitter that is hooked up to my in-dash radio/dvd receiver. The radio has a camera option so I can watch the camera and still listen to music, xm, or ipod.

Here are a couple pics i will upload more later.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-05-06 17.21.55.jpg   2016-05-06 17.22.12.jpg   2016-05-06 17.22.08.jpg   2016-05-06 17.22.00.jpg  
Old 05-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #18

Nice use of channeling to hide the wires, that came out really nice. I presume you'll caulk the heck out of it too.

On a related note I've had to fix quite a bit of caulking (or lack of) on my trailer. What they did put on was so thin a few of the door trim edges managed to pull away from it, letting water in. Had to do that to 5 or 6 different areas of trim so far.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
Nice use of channeling to hide the wires, that came out really nice. I presume you'll caulk the heck out of it too.

On a related note I've had to fix quite a bit of caulking (or lack of) on my trailer. What they did put on was so thin a few of the door trim edges managed to pull away from it, letting water in. Had to do that to 5 or 6 different areas of trim so far.
Yeah I caulked the heck out if it for sure I will get some more pics up later I don't think I have any with the finished product yet. But I will say it is nice having a camera, especially if you have bikes on the back or like us we like to pull our quad behind the camper as well, to keep an eye on things while going down the road.

I haven't noticed any areas that had pulled away yet but I will being doing a good look around tonight, as we are leaving with it in the morning for a 4 night trip.