Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

A Newbie's Questions

Some of these questions are about campers in general, others will be relevant to my (new to me) '99 Jayco Eagle 243RKS 5th wheel.

The unit is currently located in Richmond Ky, and I need to move it to Manchester Ky. I do not own nor intend to purchase a truck capable of pulling it.

1.. the tires are dry rotted which happens when they don't roll over distributing the UV protection out of the tire to the surface. I intend to buy a set,5, from Amazon and have some local mount & balance.

I can remove & reinstall the wheels, but since I won't have the 5th wheel supported, the leveling jacks are there and down in the front-- are there any precautions other than not raising the tires off the ground more than 30mm?

Also does the spray on UV protectant last and protect as long on camper tires as my car and scooter?

2.. the camper has 2 small roof leaks at the edges and I've watched the videos about proper repair-- however two things were not covered.

when properly long term repairing the roof, I am considering warming the old putty up around vents, etc by using a black trash bag placed over them and then using plastic scrapers very carefully to remove the old and replace with Etrnabond. I would like to trim the old pieces that stick up on the edges to prevent puncturing the new Eternabond-- Any thoughts about these ideas?

3.. I have read that battery power is absolutely essential and intend to install solar panels on the roof post repair. Does any company offer a kit to dump excess power into the water heater through a 12 volt heater element add on?

4.. Considering the furnace and duct work; I noticed in the videos that the aluminum 4" duct is used, is there a thermal duct that would work to keep the heat within the duct better?

5.. Window thermal loss / UV protection; Are there any storm windows available as an add on to provide thermal loss reduction and what window film treatment is best for UV protection?

6.. Toilet paper; I have never used camper specific toilet paper, so which brand is better and 2 ply?

7.. Is there an add on ice maker available for the refrigerator? If yes, who has the best one?

8.. Is there a support bar with wheels for the 5th wheel stud so the camper can be moved manually if needed?

9.. At what voltage point during prolonged usage w/o additional power does the 12Vdc system start to do damage to the motors, etc in the appliances? I have heard somewhere around 10Vdc, but it was not specific- do the manufacturers offer any advice here?

10.. Does anyone know of a reputable transport company in the Richmond Ky area that offers camper transport service?

So far I have found one company that quoted $600, don't know if that is a good or bad deal.

I have lots more questions, but I'll stop with these most pressing 10 for now. Thank everyone for reading and all info you share!
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote