Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #1

AC not working

All- I have the 2016 38 FLSA with three AC the middle one the bigger one fan kicks on in auto but the compressor will not start. Anyone have this problem? Is there a separate fuse for the compressor? Hopefully something simple. Thanks
Texas 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #2

Update on problem;
A\C checked out ok. The problem was there was a power drop at the RV park there was peak activity at the park that weekend and it cause one leg of the 50 amp service to only draw 95 volts that created a start up problem on the middle A\C. Once the park thinned out a little it works fine. Just in case you have a start up issue you might consider the activity where you are staying and a tester to test the volts inside the camper.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #3

RV parks are notorious for low voltage in the summer, when everyone is turning their AC on. Now that many RVs are running two A/C units on 50 amp service, it is worse if they are trying to use the same transformers. If you are frequenting certain campgrounds and RV parks, get to know where the transformers are located. Pick slots nearest the transformers so it's more likely you will end up with low line losses and less voltage sag.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

Thanks dust devil!!! I am going to be looking for transformers..this was a good lesson for me about a power drop too.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #5

A/C

Just be glad you have 3 A/Cs. I've had that happen with just one AC on my camper. It is not fun waking up at 2am sweating because the campground has phase issues!

Oh you can move to a slot on loop 2 they still have power! Eight campers packed up and left, along with us. It is not fun packing out at night when it is 85 degrees and 60% humidity. At least the AC in the truck still worked.

If I had a rig that big I would purchase a phase protector. Unbalanced phase power in a campground can damage your unit

I'm going to purchase a Honda 3000i generator for mine. I don't like packing out at 3am!
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #6

You really need an EMS Electrical Management System. At 95 volts your rolling the dice on killing your AC and anything else with a motor in it. Your EMS would of cut the power before you can do damage. Your AC trying to start with 25% reduction in power can cause damage fairly quickly. You also would of known what was going on. Spend the few hundred bucks now, will save in the future.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #7

Thanks I will look into this EMS