Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #1

Accessing kitchen with slides in

I'm hoping folks with the following models will be able to help me.

Still trying to figure out what I want, but I do have some requirements for what we eventually end up purchasing.

I *have* to be able to access the kitchen when the slides are pulled in. I have a bunch of food allergies, on top of being hypoglycemic, so easy access to food is a must. I might be in a situation where I can't open the slides, so I want to make sure it's useable with them pulled in (thinking worse case scenario here).

These are the models I'm interested in (at the moment):

Eagle HT 26.5RKS or 26.5RLS or 27.5RKDS

Eagle Premier 331RKTS or 351RLTS

I especially need access to the frig. Microwave and stove is not necessary for quick stops, but could be if I stayed somewhere overnight and couldn't pull out the slides.

Thanks
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #2

In our 351RLTS the kitchen is accessible except for left of the sink and under sink. The sink is "sorta" reachable

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #3

I can get to the kitchen and bathroom with my 26.5 rks. The path is actually pretty open. The bedroom slider does need to go out at least a little bit If you need to get in there though (unless you are really skinny!).
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #4

We got the optional rocker recliners in our 26.5 RLS, which can be hard to move around for stowing when bringing the slides in. That also means you have to be pretty precise in getting them right so you can squeeze past them when entering the trailer to access the kitchen, with the slide in. Helps if you are skinny (We're not) Once past them, everything is usable. Space is tight - we have been know to put the slide out a foot or so when at a rest stop, but overall, you can get to and use everything, even sit at the dining table, with it in. Mind, it is not at all the preferred way....but for a stop along the road it is doable.

Ditto on the bedroom comment - if really skinny you might be able to get into bed, but the wardrobe slide really should go out at least a little for real world use. Bathroom is always accessible, once past the chairs at the entrance doorway!

This is where the extra foot for the 27.5 might come in really handy!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
I can get to the kitchen and bathroom with my 26.5 rks. The path is actually pretty open. The bedroom slider does need to go out at least a little bit If you need to get in there though (unless you are really skinny!).
Agree.
I have also run the furnace while stopping for lunch on a cold day. None of the vents or return air ducts are blocked with the slides in. The only thing to be somewhat careful of is trying not to step on the front edge of the slide out floor when its in the "in" position.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #6

Well, I'm far from skinny (but far from too fat to get through the doors!). I know I can get the dealers to pull the slides in when I get closer to figuring out what I want. But, advice from actual owners/users is far more helpful.

Good comment on the rockers/recliners. We were thinking of getting that option, but I never thought about having to move them around. I'll bet they're kind of a bitch to do so.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

Yes, yes they are! But, we are still very glad we went with that option. I pack a pair of plastic "drywall" handles (any Home Depot). Meant for carrying large sheets of drywall/plywood/etc. by two people. Cheap.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-H...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Good part is they easily hook under the edges of the chairs, so you can easily lift and move them around. Makes it much easier!
Again, the extra length of a 27.5 might just mean you don't have to move the chairs around to close it all up!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:47 AM   #8

X2 on what RedHorse1 said.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
Site Team

We have the 351RLTS and there are loads of storage locations you can get to w/o opening a slide. Fridge, dining table, rest room, stove, oven{we use it for bread/ snack storage}, the pantry, all cabinet storage on the slide out work center and several overhead cabinets. We stop frequently to eat and relax without a problem.
Just pack what you need in the accessible areas.

Have fun with your choice.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #10

On quick stops you'll be able to use the frig and stove but not the microwave. You need to be pluged into shore power or run a generator.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #11

Our 2012 26.5 RLS is totally accessible with the slides in. A person could cook a meal at the stove after taking fixings out of the fridge or the pantry. Only problem is the wardrobe slide, it's tight to the bed so a person would have to go to the other side to get in. Bathroom is totally accessible as well. Also, due to having to move one of the swivel rockers over toward the door, it's a little tight, but I can get in fairly easily and I'm certainly not petite.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
On quick stops you'll be able to use the frig and stove but not the microwave. You need to be pluged into shore power or run a generator.
Thanks Tunce. It may seem obvious to others that I wasn't able to use the microwave, but it wasn't to me! I'm very new to this and am on a steep learning curve. But, this forum is helping greatly at reducing the steepness of that curve!
Old 02-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #13

We have a 2013 321RLTS Premier. When all slides are in we have full access to our dining table/chairs, the full kitchen, bathroom and even our bed. ( I have to crawl across the bed.) This is very handy for overnight stops in fuel stations, rest areas and of course Wal-Mart. This is our second Jayco. The first one, (2007 291RLTS) we could not access anything without putting out our slides at least a little. So, when looking for a new 5er, we looked at how much access we had when closed up.
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
We got the optional rocker recliners in our 26.5 RLS, which can be hard to move around for stowing when bringing the slides in. That also means you have to be pretty precise in getting them right so you can squeeze past them when entering the trailer to access the kitchen, with the slide in. Helps if you are skinny (We're not) Once past them, everything is usable. Space is tight - we have been know to put the slide out a foot or so when at a rest stop, but overall, you can get to and use everything, even sit at the dining table, with it in. Mind, it is not at all the preferred way....but for a stop along the road it is doable.

Ditto on the bedroom comment - if really skinny you might be able to get into bed, but the wardrobe slide really should go out at least a little for real world use. Bathroom is always accessible, once past the chairs at the entrance doorway!

This is where the extra foot for the 27.5 might come in really handy!
"We have the same model fifth wheel as you but don't have the recliners. We are wanting to get though. Two questions: the chair nearest the door, will it fully recline. Also what is the brand model of your chairs? Thanks, Yvonne Brown 253-312-0458"
Old 02-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #15

The Fridge is not accessible on the 27.5 with the door side slide in, unless you are really thin. The slide will have to go out about a foot to gain access. We're not crazy about that, but our priority was being able to get to the bathroom during a stop. Some rest areas we have stopped at, the restrooms are some distance from where the camper parking is.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote