Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #1

Adding Second AC to 2009 BHDS

Hello all!

We just bought a new to us 2009 Jayco Eagle BHDS and want to add a second AC to the master bedroom. There's a standard vent already there, so adding an AC should be pretty simple...if the unit is braced for it. I know I would have to run electrical and such, but that isn't a problem. My main question is if the unit is braced for it.

Any collective wisdom from folks out there? Anyone with the same 5th wheel that have done this before? The ceiling curves down in that area. Any issues with getting the ceiling assembly to fit correctly?

Thanks!
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #2

Maybe contacting Jayco with your model and vin could help.

How do you plan on tying in the new a/c? Will you upgrade to a 50amp system, or run a second 30amp? I have read there is a controller allowing two a/c's to run off a 30amp system, it just prevents both a/c units from kicking on at the same time.

Good luck on the install and keep us posted!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post

X 2. It wasn't an option on that unit so definitely contact the factory.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #4

Wondering why you would want to add #2 AC?? You said there was a ceiling vent there so the easiest solution to cooling in the bedroom would be to install a fantastic fan into that vent. You s/b able to get the necessary 12V from a nearby ceiling lite. Close the bedroom windows and leaving a couple windows slightly open out in the main cabin area and then put the fantastic fan on exhaust. On the low setting, the fan will pull enough cool air from the front of the unit to very adequately cool the bedroom. Get one of the FF's with a tstat and you can easily control the temp in the bedroom. Cost less than $250 and no electrical up grade needed and you will sleep comfortably. The set up will also cool the bedroom w/o the AC out front on evenoings when things cool off outside. Just open a few windows and you can pull air inside in what ever parts of the RV you want.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Wondering why you would want to add #2 AC?? You said there was a ceiling vent there so the easiest solution to cooling in the bedroom would be to install a fantastic fan into that vent. You s/b able to get the necessary 12V from a nearby ceiling lite. Close the bedroom windows and leaving a couple windows slightly open out in the main cabin area and then put the fantastic fan on exhaust. On the low setting, the fan will pull enough cool air from the front of the unit to very adequately cool the bedroom. Get one of the FF's with a tstat and you can easily control the temp in the bedroom. Cost less than $250 and no electrical up grade needed and you will sleep comfortably. The set up will also cool the bedroom w/o the AC out front on evenoings when things cool off outside. Just open a few windows and you can pull air inside in what ever parts of the RV you want.
Bassdogs,

We live in San Antonio, and in the middle of Summer, we typically get to 80 degrees in the "cool" of the night. In the middle of the day, we can see temps over 102 with 80+% humidity. I agree a Fantastic Fan is a great low-cost option we could use in the cooler months, but it just won't cut it for the middle of Summer. I appreciate the idea though!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post

How do you plan on tying in the new a/c? Will you upgrade to a 50amp system, or run a second 30amp? I have read there is a controller allowing two a/c's to run off a 30amp system, it just prevents both a/c units from kicking on at the same time.

I think I'll wind up adding a second plug and pull power from the 20 amp connection at the power pole. While I could handle the upgrade to 50 amp, I think the separate plug would be the more economical option. Although...I would like to only have to mess with one connection. I was at a state park a while ago and they had signs posted at every site that stipulated "Only one electrical connection allowed". I guess they were trying to save on costs. In cases like that, having a single 50 amp connection would be the way to go.

The controller sounds interesting, but I wouldn't get the benefit of two AC's running at the same time.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:34 AM   #7

Justman, I did what you are considering. I added a second ac and utilize a second electric cord to power it from the 20amp ped. If the link attached works, you will see what if did.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...1-a-12909.html
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote