Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
Alternatives to Camping World for warranty work?

I am a new owner and having trouble with service levels at Camping World. Are there any alternatives to using Camping World?

Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
depends on what your needs are. service, parts, etc. check your dealer for brand specific or any dealer for parts and service. check independent rv service providers. for nice too have/want items you can even check and use amazon for many.

2012 Jayco 184BH
1998 Ford F150 Supercab. Original owner
2013 HD Ultra Classic Tri Glide
Two Kayaks. Dagger for me, Old Town for Wife
Gary Fisher Mnt Bk for me, Trek for Wife
Retired U.S. Army in 1991
Life is Good!
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
I think your question should be towards people in your area, not a fifth wheel only forum subcategory. I am sure there are plenty of other (mom & pop style) rv service shops around, that would be happy to take business from any large national chain.
2015 Nissan Frontier SV CC 4WD
2014 Jayco Sport 8
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Are you looking for warranty or just other service?
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
140 days boondocking in 2016
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
Use the Jayco website dealer locator to search for dealers close to your neighborhood. Find an independent (non-chain) dealer and then search Google for that dealer's name and "reviews".
Just remember that people who are upset post reviews - people who are happy rarely do. So don't look for a dealer with NO negative reviews. Look for a dealer with less negative reviews than other dealers. Also dealers that take the time to answer a bad review in a positive way is a good sign.
Then call the dealer and talk with the service manager - good ones will be up-front with you about how busy they are, their priorities (some quite openly give a priority to their own customers), etc.
Just know that there is (and has been for years) a critical shortage in qualified, trained and experienced RV mechanics. I don't think I've passed an RV Dealer in years that doesn't have a "Mechanic wanted" sign out front. Most of them have just installed permanent signs :-(. They are all backed up with wait lists.
Two important thing to me are:
1) are they up front about their real schedules and when can they get to your work.
2) do they "work smart" and try to keep you camping while they order parts. Working smart includes assessing the situation, ordering parts immediately, trying to find a workaround to get you to a usable state, giving you an appointment to bring the rig back once the parts are in and you're next in the queue and then honoring that appointment.

Dealers who make you leave the rig on the lot - wait until they are ready to work on it to order parts - and then put you back at the bottom of the queue while waiting on the parts - or bump your queue position for any number of reasons are not, in my opinion, reputable.

I had a bumper (with spare tire bolted on it) just fall off the back of the TT near Ft. Worth Texas on a long trip (I'm from Atlanta and was headed home). It was still barely welded on one side and dragging the ground. I roped it up enough to limp to Camping World of Ft. Worth who told me to bring it back in 6 weeks. Seriously?

We stayed in a Yogi Bear resort south of Ft. Worth. The manager told me about a tiny RV dealer with just one mechanic down the road. I took it down there - he stopped what he was working on, fired up his welder and he and a salesman used a sledge hammer to pound the bracket back in shape then weld the bumper back on. It wasn't pretty but it was still attached when I traded the rig earlier this year. When I asked how much, they said it only took them 15 minutes and their minimum ticket was 30 minutes - so no charge. True Texas hospitality!
I went online - found every review point I could find - trashed the Camping World and wrote glowing reviews of the little guy.
Buddy Ray - Atlanta
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
The post says new owner, are we to assume it's a new unit that needs warranty work?
As above I use a small (one man) shop for items I don't want to tackle and he's always been good about telling me how to and getting parts I need as most are not Jayco specific.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 Long Bed Extended Cab Air Bags
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT
2007 Layton 245LF (sold)
196? Shasta 16ft

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
I purchased my 5er at a Camping World. ninety percent of my warranty work has been done by other Jayco dealers. Jayco doesn't care which dealer does the work.
2014 Eagle Premier 361REQS
Mor-ride pin box
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:41 AM   #8
Any dealer that has a shop and sells new Jaycos should be eligible for doing warranty repairs and should be a Jayco certified repair center. The warranty follows the product, not the dealer. UNLESS, you bought a "dealer specific" warranty. This usually is not the case. But, I have heard of dealers that offer "beyond factory" warranties.
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2012 Ford F250 6.2L 4x4 CCSB W/Air Lift air bags
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
2002 Coleman Bayside Elite (traded)
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:16 AM   #9
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Then call the dealer and talk with the service manager - good ones will be up-front with you about how busy they are, their priorities (some quite openly give a priority to their own customers), etc.
I've found this to be the case at my local/selling Jayco dealer.
2015 Greyhawk 29MV

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #10
Site Team
I would not let my rig out of my sight in a CW maintenance facility! Just saying.

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote