Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #21

Andersen Hitches

I spoke to the warranty dept. at Jayco and they had nothing stating not to use a gooseneck hitch. The rep put me on hold and discussed it with her manager and was told this could cause structural problems long term.

Your thoughts,

Chris Salzer

casalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by casalzer View Post
I spoke to the warranty dept. at Jayco and they had nothing stating not to use a gooseneck hitch. The rep put me on hold and discussed it with her manager and was told this could cause structural problems long term.

Your thoughts,

Chris Salzer
My 5th wheel is 17 years old. My Dodge dually is 12 years old. I'm 53. Been in the trades for 33 years. I had a goose neck extension from king pin hitch. It definitely put lots more torque on the king pin. I took it off. I looked at what was available & the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel to gooseneck was my choice. Having pulled a 36 gooseneck trailer with my Clydesdales in it which weighed 12k no problems. Why would the RV industry be balking at this hitch when the livestock & construction industry use this type of hitch exclusively? This particular one sits right beside the king pin. Could there be an interest in 5th wheel hitches only? Looking at a ball with a cup sitting on it where is the stress? Let Jayco put it in writing where this stress is coming from. I will continue using it.

b1mmuo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #23

Andersen provides a warranty rider in case Lippert fails to honor theirs. I also run mine in a short bed and have plenty of clearance at 90 degrees. You do have to watch your rails. I've got mine set at the middle height setting.
Not yet retired, but counting the months to full-timing !
ArmyColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #24

Yes it's a 5 million rider. I have mine set on the top hole.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #25

So I ordered my TV today - 2015 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali DRW - and they are going to do the wiring and prep for the electrical and have coordinated with the local Andersen dealer for the Ultimate 5th Wheel. Before going ahead, I checked with the local Jayco dealer -they already knew of this hitch, already had at least one customer using it on their new unit, and had no concerns with it in terms of warranty. Got the green light from them, so am proceeding with that hitch setup.

Just an FYI as there was specifically some doubt about Jayco's warranty using these.
goldenroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #26

While I appreciate all the thumbs up from those who own and use this hitch, I would like to know if "chucking," (the lurching back and forward you get with most standard fifth wheel hitches), is eliminated or at least greatly reduced by this hitch, as the literature seems to say.

Any thoughts from current Anderson users?o
Old 04-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #27

No its not like the 5th wheel hitch. Think of it as a TT hitch & ball. It's identical to that. A ball & cup. Virtually no movement, just rotation. Very smooth to pull. The 5th wheel doesn't need to be level to be connected either.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #28

For what its worth to you guys. I contacted Andersen today by email to to determine there take on setting the ultimate on a rubber bed mat. They not only approve but were encouraging that the plate set on some kind of mat to eliminate paint scratching in the bed.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #29

I have my factory liner which has a thick base on it. I put mine on top of that. Then tighten up the hitch to my flip ball. The original 5th wheel hitch that was on rails when I bought the truck sat on top of the liner too.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
For what its worth to you guys. I contacted Andersen today by email to to determine there take on setting the ultimate on a rubber bed mat. They not only approve but were encouraging that the plate set on some kind of mat to eliminate paint scratching in the bed.
I just ordered my truck, it has the spray on box liner already installed, and is getting the gooseneck installed early next week to accommodate the Andersen. Is that sufficient, or do I need something else under the Andersen to prevent damaging the box liner? Those are nearly indestructible, or so I thought.

goldenroads is offline   Reply With Quote