Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #1

Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

I was doing some digging and this setup looks really smart -the rails come off with the unit and it is available in an aluminum frame that is stronger than the steel one and was tested to withstand over 50,000 pounds of pressure before failure -and even after failure, it still was able to pull 24,000 pounds at 65MPH...

Anyone used them? They look like a great solution for our new 5th wheel. Need to equip a new truck, so now is the time to make the call...

Demo and Crush Test Video:

https://youtu.be/78l-PadWAro
goldenroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #2

I have one it's great. I have the flip ball version so no rails . .. that keeps the bed clear when not using it. As I have had Clydesdales horses in the past with a 36 foot gooseneck trailer I can tell you gooseneck hitch is miles better than a 5th wheel hitch IMO.
b1mmuo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenroads View Post
I was doing some digging and this setup looks really smart -the rails come off with the unit and it is available in an aluminum frame that is stronger than the steel one and was tested to withstand over 50,000 pounds of pressure before failure -and even after failure, it still was able to pull 24,000 pounds at 65MPH...

Anyone used them? They look like a great solution for our new 5th wheel. Need to equip a new truck, so now is the time to make the call...

Demo and Crush Test Video:

https://youtu.be/78l-PadWAro
Here is mine in the back of my truck & with the trailer connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Van & trailer.jpg   Andersen Hitch.jpg  
Old 04-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

Thanks for sharing this....I think you two have helped me find my next hitch.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #5

I am using one and I love it. The trailer pulls great with it.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #6

I also am using one. so far no downside what so ever.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

X3....love mine
Not yet retired, but counting the months to full-timing !
ArmyColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback - I am excited to add this to my new rig (hopefully picking up a new 1-ton on Monday/Tuesday!) I had ALMOST just gone with the hitch the RV dealer recommended, a big slider on rails for $2000 -not knowing anything about anything, I thought I'd be at least safe going with their recommendations. That said, when I saw this video about a SIMPLE and light hookup, that also happens to be way less money, I was eager to go for it, but worried that I may overlook something and lose my new trailer going down a mountain road or something like that...

Glad to be reassured by people actually using this thing! Yahoo!
Old 04-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #9

A gooseneck style hitch voids the frame warranty on the trailers, does anyone know if this hitch does? I still my get a gooseneck or this for my trailer.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #10

The Andersen Ultimate Hitch doesn't. It connect to the trailer at the same height as the 5th wheel hitch. The extension gooseneck adaptors they sell do place extra torque on the pin as I had one before the Andersen ultimate. Andersen stands behind there hitch manufacturers are like people then can listen to reason. Plus I would also argue that as the trailer sits on the ball it has less stress as it doesn't limit the twist like the 5th wheel style.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenroads View Post
Thanks for all the feedback - I am excited to add this to my new rig (hopefully picking up a new 1-ton on Monday/Tuesday!) I had ALMOST just gone with the hitch the RV dealer recommended, a big slider on rails for $2000 -not knowing anything about anything, I thought I'd be at least safe going with their recommendations. That said, when I saw this video about a SIMPLE and light hookup, that also happens to be way less money, I was eager to go for it, but worried that I may overlook something and lose my new trailer going down a mountain road or something like that...

Glad to be reassured by people actually using this thing! Yahoo!
The only thing you have to be cautious of is that without a slider hitch that you will have enough room for tight turns between the cab and your trailer. The dealer recommended a slider which makes me think that you have a short box truck. I looked at the Anderson hitch but instead got a slider that will give me the clearance i need for tight turns when needed.

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #12

Question: What do you do when you need to tow the unit without your TV? i.e. dealer repair or worse roadside assistance?

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Question: What do you do when you need to tow the unit without your TV? i.e. dealer repair or worse roadside assistance?
Two possibilities....

1. It takes about five minutes to remove the aluminum adapter from the fifth wheel king pin, and the camper can immediately be pulled by any truck with a fifth wheel hitch.

2. It takes about five minutes to remove the tower from the bed of the truck, and it can then be installed in any other truck with a gooseneck ball.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Two possibilities....

1. It takes about five minutes to remove the aluminum adapter from the fifth wheel king pin, and the camper can immediately be pulled by any truck with a fifth wheel hitch.

2. It takes about five minutes to remove the tower from the bed of the truck, and it can then be installed in any other truck with a gooseneck ball.
What he said. It's a great hitch.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:17 AM   #15

So you can take that thing off the pin. I thought it was pressed on permanantly due to the stress required to control the trailer. Good to know.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
So you can take that thing off the pin. I thought it was pressed on permanantly due to the stress required to control the trailer. Good to know.
if you're interested in how it works, my initial post on this thread had the youtube video that shows how it works, and demonstrates how it attaches to the trailer -super easy and quick.

I asked their rep about using it with a short box (the Dodge I'm picking up has a 6'4" bed, not the 8' one) instead of a slider hitch -they were absolutely clear, short boxes are the main reason people initially choose these hitches. the connection is reversible, offering a 9" change in orientation (basically you choose the orientation that works for your truck, you don't change it for backing in or something like that) -but once you have it oriented properly, it is ideal for avoiding contact with the TV.

-as it was explained to me, anyway -I did some digging for reviews -they are sold on Amazon.com/.ca and there are tons of reviews from customers. 100% of them gave it 5 stars. 100%!!! I'm still BRAND NEW and learning this stuff, but I figured experience of people on these forums and reviews of customers was a good place to start.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #17

Yes it can be put in front of the king pin or behind it. I prefer it in front. I don't have any problems turning as I have an 8 foot box. Trailer doesn't need to be level to hook up or disconnect either. Personally I don't know why people buy short boxes to pull big 5 ers ¥& relay on a sliding hitch to protect their investment. I have had 2 people I know had their 5th wheel hitch unlock & destroy their truck boxes. Luckily they weren't going fast.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mmuo27 View Post
Yes it can be put in front of the king pin or behind it. I prefer it in front. I don't have any problems turning as I have an 8 foot box. Trailer doesn't need to be level to hook up or disconnect either. Personally I don't know why people buy short boxes to pull big 5 ers ¥& relay on a sliding hitch to protect their investment. I have had 2 people I know had their 5th wheel hitch unlock & destroy their truck boxes. Luckily they weren't going fast.
sometimes the choices are limited in which options are compatible with the trailer -for me, the gross trailer weight on the 3210 is 16,500 pounds. There just aren't that many trucks that will pull it. Where I live and where I intend to use it means I need 4x4. The Ram 3500 MegaCab with the short 6'4" box and DRW is rated to pull it, most other 4WD versions are not -well, not without being at the max weight rating for the vehicle. -I wanted to have some extra headroom/capacity so I know I'm not pushing the limit of the truck when I'm in the mountains.... So its that or the F450. My preference is Dodge, so here I am....

Anyway -with the way this Andersen hitch appears to work, it is now a non-issue!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #19

That's good. I have an 03 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW. I have pulled with both SRW & dually. Once you go dually you'll never go back.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #20

X4 I have the rail version. The only "downside" to me is that it can take a little longer to connect. Since you have to get right over the ball before lowering to connect. Periodically need to check the 4 small bolts on the king pin adapter block to make sure they are tight.

I have a Ram short bed and have tried reversing the hitch to use in "slider mode". Would not work for me. Moved the king pin box back to far in the bed and I could not close the tailgate. Would work ok if you had a 5th wheel tailgate.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote