Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #21
CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I've noticed that several are using the ultimate fifth wheel connection with a cushioned pin box. I just want to point out that when I bought my ultimate fifth wheel connection 3 years ago, I asked Anderson about using it with various cushioned pin boxes. Their statement to me was that the ultimate fifth wheel connection performs best with a solid pin box, and that they don't recommend using any of the various cushioned pin boxes with their product.

I've got zero complaints with my Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection. I love it.
So do you have Cushioned pinbox?
I've got a new morryde rubber pin box and my plan was to run an Anderson hitch. I guess I'll reach out to Anderson and see what the latest scoop is.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTP View Post
I've got a new morryde rubber pin box and my plan was to run an Anderson hitch. I guess I'll reach out to Anderson and see what the latest scoop is.
I have the morryde pin box and have been using the Andersen ultimate hitch. I also had seen on forums about not using it. I contacted Andersen and they stated the only thing may be a slight sensation caused by the movement of the cushioned pin box. This is the second trailer I have pulled with ultimate hitch, the first with the morryde box and I cannot honestly tell any difference.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #23
CTP

Great info, thanks.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #24

Are these legal for towing a small boat behind the fifth wheel in states allow it ? Triple towing

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #25

I decided to go ahead and buy one. Should have it tomorrow!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
twadd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Are these legal for towing a small boat behind the fifth wheel in states allow it ? Triple towing

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Depends on the state, but yes for most.
https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...triple_towing/

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #27

I'm towing doubles with mine, no problems yet. I did have the rear hitch beefed up.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #28

My new Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch came in today. The install on the truck and camper was very simple. I will say that when your use to a big ole Curt Q24 hitch this Andersen just don't look like it's up to par. But hey that one of the big selling points, very light weight! I'm sure it will live up to all the hype.

twadd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTP View Post
I do not. A friend of mine that has owned many campers had several cushioned pin boxes in his shop. He offered me any of them I wanted, and that was when I posed the question to Andersen.

I found the correct Lippert pin box for my camper in the junk pile at an area RV dealer, and they sold it to me for $75. My original pin box has a gooseneck tube welded to it.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I have the morryde pin box and have been using the Andersen ultimate hitch. I also had seen on forums about not using it. I contacted Andersen and they stated the only thing may be a slight sensation caused by the movement of the cushioned pin box. This is the second trailer I have pulled with ultimate hitch, the first with the morryde box and I cannot honestly tell any difference.
I also have the morryde system with the Andersen hitch. When I first put the Pin box on, I notice a slight quiver in the setup. What I realized was that it was the softening effect of the Morryde system that I was feeling. Instead of feeling a solid bump when the trailer tire hit a hole or bump in the road that I had felt previously, the rubber blocks in the Morrryde was softening the impact that is normally transmitted back to the truck. After the first trip, That became the new normal feel. I think it's a great system!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:35 AM   #31

Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by twadd10 View Post
So I've been reading reviews all over the web about these hitches, I found a couple old post here about them. Just wanted to ask here a few years later what people thought about them, pros ,cons, real life experience. Thanks!

Just purchased my aluminum Andersen hitch off Amazon.com - came with safety chains too! I will say that I ran into some dumb luck as the aluminum block coupler was borked - King Pin hole was too small. I could have returned/exchanged it but I was on a deadline, so I had a local metal shop bore the hole out 30/1000's of an inch to make it fit. Took all of 15 minutes to crank down the bolts and get it hooked up. I really love the simplicity of this hitch. It fits right over our B&W turnover ball. When we have the bolts cranked down, it puts direct pressure on the ball, so it's near impossible to unlatch and walk off with. I've opted for a cable lock for the bed for safe keeping. Otherwise you can unbolt and lift it out like there's nothing to it. Very impressed on how easy it is to work with. Glad we did this instead of a typical 5th wheel hitch.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #32

Ok, so I am a bit fanatic about checking to make sure my hitch is actually latched/locked before pulling.

How do you double check to make sure the Anderson ball is actually 'locked'?
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Ok, so I am a bit fanatic about checking to make sure my hitch is actually latched/locked before pulling.

If the cable is pushed in, there isn't any way it can't be locked.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #34

I push the cable in and turn the handle clockwise til it is snug. Then I raise the front jack. If the jacks raises the truck, I am satisfied the ball is locked.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #35

Ok that sounds good. Kinda like a pull test on current hitch.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #36

There is no mistaking when your connection is complete as the ball disappears into the kingpin adaptor. The you push in and turn the adaptor latch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post

You can tell what position it's in by the T-handle that actuates the bolt that slides in and out. OUT=Unlocked, IN=Locked. If you're able to depress the handle all the way in and turn to lock it, then it's 100% locked in place. You CAN go through the trouble of lifting the truck but it's not necessary. Keep in mind that the hitch ball is covered by the coupler that rests on it. Then you'll probably be running the safety chains with it as well, not to mention the e-brake should it somehow come detached.

We just did our maiden voyage with our new 5'r (130 Miles) with this setup and it was pretty damn smooth sailing!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #38

Ok so I am looking into a TV before I get the 5th wheel and hitch.

Is a truck with fifth wheel prep a waste of money when you use the Anderson?

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
Ok so I am looking into a TV before I get the 5th wheel and hitch.

Is a truck with fifth wheel prep a waste of money when you use the Anderson?

Andersen makes 2 different types of 5th wheel adapters. The gooseneck ball type and the rail type. So I don't suppose it'll matter what kind of 5th wheel prep you get from the factory, it should still work.

When I purchased my new FORD F250 a couple months ago, it didn't come with a factory prep kit. I had a B&W gooseneck turnover ball installed after the fact. I could have had RAILS installed in my bed instead but I wanted a clean install so it didn't mess with cargo later on. If rails aren't an issue for you, that version of the Andersen hitch is less expensive. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
Andersen makes 2 different types of 5th wheel adapters. The gooseneck ball type and the rail type. So I don't suppose it'll matter what kind of 5th wheel prep you get from the factory, it should still work.

When I purchased my new FORD F250 a couple months ago, it didn't come with a factory prep kit. I had a B&W gooseneck turnover ball installed after the fact. I could have had RAILS installed in my bed instead but I wanted a clean install so it didn't mess with cargo later on. If rails aren't an issue for you, that version of the Andersen hitch is less expensive. Good luck.
Thanks
So would the rails utilize the fifth wheel prep?
If not, then it would not be necessary to buy a truck with it?
So would you say it would be quicker and easier to clear your bed using the Anderson with the gooseneck ball than with the rails?
Regarding the B& W gooseneck turnover ball system. Is it also quick and easy to remove that from the bed?

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote